Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM

Default NSR hermitage outfall update

the ledge at the outfall is back they must have dug out that hole because the water is low and there is a 6ft drop at the ledge all the dirt is gone the hole is allot deeper now to. Fishing was great half dozen walleye suckers and a couple goldeye

this is how i put worms on the hook leave some line on the knot to poke through the worm hold it in place

Last edited by NSRfishing; 08-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM

I wish I could find a worm threader like in the old days those were wicked cool!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 PM

How do I get to that outfall? I tried finding an easy way to the river from Hermitage Park before and ended up bushwacking it something fierce.

Looking at Google Map I see something that could be an outfall; at the bend in 20th St., across the field and down the trail, just about under some power lines. Is that the one?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM

it is very easy just go into the off leash dog park at hermitage walk to that pond it is green with algae and turn towards river and your at the outfall ther will be power lines going across the river to the power plant that has the greenish waterfall
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM

Ok, I see it now, thank you. Will definately have to check it out.

And how come your worms look so much different than mine? Is that simply because they are threaded all the way? Are they inflated?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM

not inflated they are the big nightcrawlers could be because pic was macro mode are your just smaller the trout worms?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 PM

I don't know what kind of worms I've been getting. I usually just go to the whichever fishing store, ask for some worms and they give them to me.

I think this weekend I'll try hooking them like yours, looks pretty solid. Also I read that putting them on ice will make them plump up for hooking and then they will wiggle harder when you put them in the warm river water, so I'd like to try that as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM

I miss being able to fish at the power plant it's self.
My dad, grandpa and I used to go there all the time.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
X2, that was a great place for walleye.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
X2, that was a great place for walleye.
x3

miss that place................ very do-able on a canoe trip lol
Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 PM

had another great day fishing the river half dozen goldeye one sucker a pike and 4 walleye forgot my camera but caught a walleye that was completely missing the fin on its back and i split my finger open getting the lure out of the pikes mouth going to have to throw some bandaids in my tacklebox
Old 08-13-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
had another great day fishing the river half dozen goldeye one sucker a pike and 4 walleye forgot my camera but caught a walleye that was completely missing the fin on its back and i split my finger open getting the lure out of the pikes mouth going to have to throw some bandaids in my tacklebox
Glove and pliers, need I say more. Allways bandaids in the box.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 AM

jaw spreader and a pair of needle nose... gloves are for wussys :P

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 PM

i was using hemostats the pike inhaled the bait to get the the back treble out my knuckes were in just passed the teeth and it chomped me

jaw spreaders are on my list of thing to buy after that
Old 08-13-2011, 12:22 PM

NSRfishing how often do you frequent the river? do you always go to the hermitage outfall? what about whitemud? hows that hole doing?

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 08-13-2011, 12:31 PM

i fish hermitage few times a week every second day because i am not working right now i dont drive so hermitage is the only spot that is walking distance
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM

NSRfishing, what kind of rig are you using? Do you think throwing spoons or spinners would work at the outfall as well?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 PM

were you fishing there tonight???
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 PM

Pretty decent fishing tonight once the sun went down. Landed 3 walleye in 30 minutes once the sun was gone. Largest was the 3rd, nice 4lb'er. Wish I had some pics, but I was a one man show so I wanted to get them back in the water ASAP. I'll bring a buddy next time and be sure to get some pics to share.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger woods View Post
Pretty decent fishing tonight once the sun went down. Landed 3 walleye in 30 minutes once the sun was gone. Largest was the 3rd, nice 4lb'er. Wish I had some pics, but I was a one man show so I wanted to get them back in the water ASAP. I'll bring a buddy next time and be sure to get some pics to share.
nice, when you going out next?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
nice, when you going out next?
Not exactly sure, but some time during the coming week in the evening I'll make the trek over there I think. Thats the plan anyways. Lots of fish in there it seems. Tonight was the 1st time I've ever fished there to be honest, but I'll definitely go back. Quite a few beavers ripping around too, had one below my feet near shore and neither of us knew it til I moved slightly and he slapped the water. Good thing I'm not an old man or I'm pretty sure Id've died of a heart attack tonight.

Ever fished the river successfully under the Henday overpass by Terwillegar? I went out 3 times this week and didn't get a sniff. It's close to home and it'd be perfect for me if the fishing was good there. Don't know if I'm wasting my time by going or if i just had a S.O.L kind of a week.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 PM

So does anyone fish directly from the ledge? I saw people fishing from the shore next to the outfall, but is it possible or even better to fish from the ledge (as shown in NSR's picture)?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:32 PM

from shore you are fishing at the ledge, casting in the outfall, you can stand on the ledge with boots but its very slippery. I was there tonight, only got bit off once then left, didnt stay long way to many people
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM

i was there a few days ago, from 3-5... i was the only one there it was awesome. no bites but very peaceful
Old 08-29-2011, 01:55 PM

I was at the outfall this morning, had 3 walleye in 10 minutes or so just after 6am and then not a bite for hours.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger woods View Post
Ever fished the river successfully under the Henday overpass by Terwillegar? I went out 3 times this week and didn't get a sniff. It's close to home and it'd be perfect for me if the fishing was good there. Don't know if I'm wasting my time by going or if i just had a S.O.L kind of a week.
Hey tiger, i've never tried that brudge but if terwillegar is close to you then you should try the river where whitemud creek enters. Much closer to there than hermitage. It's right near the quesnell bridge and fox drive and that. Fishing is still pretty hot there, watched a kid pull in a 29inch walleye sunday night.