Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 PM

Default weird day at hermitage NSR

very slow day fishing at the river one sucker and 4 walleye all about 6 to 9 inches while the guy about 100 feet upriver caught 2 sturgeon kind of annoying here is some pics i have never caught so many small walleye

is this a silver redhorse sucker?

Last edited by NSRfishing; 08-12-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:35 PM

lol, hey how big was the sturgeon, they keep spooling me lol
Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
Tighten ur drag..... lol
Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 PM

i use smaller reels, just fishing for walleye, had a couple sturgeon, nothing i can do with light tackel, i love light tackle fishing
Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
good size sturgeon i would guess 20 pounds
Old 08-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
i use smaller reels, just fishing for walleye, had a couple sturgeon, nothing i can do with light tackel, i love light tackle fishing
how did you end up getting a sturgeon on your light tackle? Were you using a sturgeon rig on your ultra-light
its '*almost impossible*' to catch a sturgeon just zipping jigs around for walleyes in the NSR....

food for thought,
oliver

ps. I hope you know the supposed 'sturgeon' you let spool you are almost gaurenteed to die with 100+ ft of line and what ever set up you were using jammed in there mouth....

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
how did you end up getting a sturgeon on your light tackle? Were you using a sturgeon rig on your ultra-light
its '*almost impossible*' to catch a sturgeon just zipping jigs around for walleyes in the NSR....

food for thought,
oliver

ps. I hope you know the supposed 'sturgeon' you let spool you are almost gaurenteed to die with 100+ ft of line and what ever set up you were using jammed in there mouth....
I agree he should avoid sturgeon on light gear however in all fairness I imagine he was using a pickerel rig, which will catch pretty well anything and everything.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:

food for thought,
oliver

if hes using a down and across method i dont think so...i guess even a blind pig snorts up a truffle
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM

its all relative to what he was using, but still, its EXTREMELY unlikely unless he was using a pickerel rig and tossed it seriously into the middle of the river and was PURPOSEFULLY looking to catch a sturgeon that he would get one,

there are people that use sturgeon-specific set ups and still get skunked for whole summers....

p-rigs wont cut it USUALLY...

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM

are walleye like trout where they will school up with the same size fish? seems like the hole i found was loaded with walleye all the same size
Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
are walleye like trout where they will school up with the same size fish? seems like the hole i found was loaded with walleye all the same size
hit it right on the nail, your absolutely right. schools of 1-5lb walleye will gather to feed in a common area, especially when given the right structure.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:

food for thought,
oliver

I don't target sturgeon so I don't know.
Could you explain a little more in depth about this please.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:45 PM

I was taking a shot at shawn for saying he caught sturgeon on his light set up. I was just stating that its *nearly impossible* to catch sturgeon unless you are specifically targeting them with the correct weight, bait, and proper configuration of these things.

its all in good fun as I know shawn personally :P

Old 08-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I was taking a shot at shawn for saying he caught sturgeon on his light set up. I was just stating that its *nearly impossible* to catch sturgeon unless you are specifically targeting them with the correct weight, bait, and proper configuration of these things.

its all in good fun as I know shawn personally :P
Ah ok then proceed nothing like a good flaming of a friend!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 PM

flaming...no....
questioning the truth in his statement.....yes....

Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 PM

i will put this here instead of making new thread fishing was slow this evening at hermitage one goldeye and a walleye

both caught with worms the walleye was way out in the middle of the river

i think the sun heat and lack of clouds is the problem the next cloudy day will be great fishing
Old 08-14-2011, 09:05 AM

It's funny that catching a sturgeon on lighter gear came up here. I ran into a guy I know down at the river a couple days ago, and he told me about him catching a sturgeon on a jig about a week ago.

The story goes that he was just slowly dragging a jig with a Gulp tail on it when the sturgeon came and snarfed it up. At first I wanted to call BS, but I do trust the guy's word, and if he was dragging it slowly enough, with a stinky Gulp bait...well, I guess it's possible?

Oh, and that actually looks like a mooneye you've got there NSRfishing

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM

I never said 'completely impossible' :P I said 'almost' and 'highly unlikely'

geezle whats the wierdest thing you have caught a sturgeon on?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM

I have caught sturgeon, goldeye, pike, walleye, sauger, ling and suckers all at that location and all using pickeral rigs and anywheres from right beside the bank to as far as I could toss.

Lots of variability. I was targeting goldeye one day on the other side...20 feet off shore...and got spooled by a 4.5 footer...10 lb test. Nothing I could do but hold the line and see where it breaks...fortunately the knot gave so I got the line back.

Anyone know if you can still fish upstream and downstream of the plant across form Hermitage? That was always prime fishing.

Can you at least walk down to the river there?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM

at the plant i was told they blocked off access but there is a path beside the fence dont know where it starts but couple dirt bikes are always using it.

looks like a great spot to fish there
Old 08-14-2011, 12:34 PM

We went on the NSR on Friday and Saturday evenings this weekend.

Friday was crazy. From 8PM till 10PM, between the 3 of us we caught 9 Walleye (2 5 pounders), 9 Suckers, and a Goldeye. Most of the walleye were from 2 feet off the beach.

Saturday was slower. Caught 5 Suckers and a Walleye.

This river has been amazing this summer, especially since the water has gone down.

Anyone else amazed at how well the fishing is this year on the NSR?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM

I checked out the outfall Sat morning. Only caught one well fed sucker, which I was pretty happy with nonetheless. Excuse my sh*t eating grin, haha.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM

nice sucker i like catching suckers they fight good allot of people wont touch them just kick them back into the water i dont understand this. they are same as any other fish for me
Old 08-14-2011, 02:28 PM

I didnt even know he was on my hook, I was going to check my worm and gave it a yank just in case and sure enough there he was.

So that was the biggest one I've caught so far. He was pretty thick too. How big do suckers get?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 PM

Hi guys, is there any spots that you guys would recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never fished at Hermitage.
Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 PM

no go to goldbar its much better man
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 AM

x2 on goldbar, you will catch more walleye and pike at goldbar then at hermitage. hermitage is more a mix bag, with goldeye, mooneye, suckers, apparently sturgeon, walleye, sauger, and sometimes pike.

At the goldbar spillway, all I ever catch is walleye and sauger with the VERY occasional hammer handle.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Speaking of Goldbar, here are some pics from this weekend.

That sucker looks weird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walleye1a.jpg (45.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3281.jpg (39.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg dolphin.jpg (44.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
Speaking of Goldbar, here are some pics from this weekend.

That sucker looks weird.
Normally pics of suckers gross me out.....but that pic had some nice qualities
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 PM

I forgot to mention when I was at the Hermitage outfall Saturday morning, I spent ten minutes picking up all the trash left lying around and put it in a shopping bag, and when we decided to move downstream, I forgot it. So if anybody found a Fishing Hole bag full of garbage on the southside of the outfall and threw it out for me, thanks for that!