Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned

Default shore fishing within an hour from edmonton

hey guys, trying to help my buddy that's new to fishing have a good day, any advice on water close by would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I'm pretty good on shore fishing the river but it's at a weird level where the creek is getting low but the river still moving fast, if someone could pm me a good place to take my buddy I would be very happy
Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Have you considered Hermitage Park? It's in Northeast Edmonton and stocked with rainbow trout.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM

recently, that little creek by fox dr. has been awesome for me. Tons of walleye, pike, and I actually just caught a 14" mooneye about a week ago. I don't see anyone else catching anything there however, maybe I just learned what the fish like in that creek! Anyways, that's my suggestion.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Depends what your looking for?

Best bet would be wabuman pickeral rig switch the hooks with wire ones can get them at fishin hole bait with a minnow and your laughing you can catch some big ones too.

Cheers.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Wabamun is a good suggestion but I would suggest not useing pickrell rigs in a Catch and Release ONLY lake , pick up some of these

or these

The Swimbaits were getting all sorts of good results , they sell them at the fishing hole in the bulk stuff , get the 1 Oz Jig head and a few diffrent color bodies and youll be laughing .
Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 PM

I've always been a fan of East Pit by Wabamun for easy access shore fishing.

See ya
Ace
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

thanks for the suggestions, hermitage is ok but wanted to take him somewhere better, wab is where I was planning on going but only know 1 good shore spot......by the tracks by the townsite.....is anyone willing to provide a better shore spot out at wab?? never heard of east pit, is that what some ppl call jackfish lake?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Banned

also we tried the mouth of whitemud yesterday quickly but no luck, had lotsa luck there b4 the water went down about 2 feet
Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Monger View Post
thanks for the suggestions, hermitage is ok but wanted to take him somewhere better, wab is where I was planning on going but only know 1 good shore spot......by the tracks by the townsite.....is anyone willing to provide a better shore spot out at wab?? never heard of east pit, is that what some ppl call jackfish lake?
Theres places at Fallis you can fish from , there is the main pier in town you can fish off of theres lots . of places , walk around the playground in town and cast into the bull rushes .
Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Wabamun is a good suggestion but I would suggest not useing pickrell rigs in a Catch and Release ONLY lake , pick up some of these

or these

The Swimbaits were getting all sorts of good results , they sell them at the fishing hole in the bulk stuff , get the 1 Oz Jig head and a few diffrent color bodies and youll be laughing .
I personally have never foul hooked any fish using a pickeral rig it depends on the fishermen i guess but i always use swimbaits and what not when i take my boat out.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:29 PM

Doc's site has directions to all the common local trout lakes.

http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/edmontonlakes.htm

Directions: From Edmonton head west on highway 16 and take the turn off to the town of Wabamun. Once on top of the overpass, at the intersection turn north (right) and look for the gate on your left hand side.

It's a reclaimed mine that's stocked with trout. You can fish around the entire lake, just depends on how far you want to go. Bit of a walk over a hill, but you can always find a spot to call your own.

See ya
Ace
Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 PM

Since your going to Wab, go to the provincial park dock the left one just before dark cast way far out to the northwest and you will slay 8-16 pounders just before dark, any large spoon will work, reel in slow and yes you may get some weeds but do not reel in to slow.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Late August and into September lac ste Anne narrows on the Alexis reserve. By far the most productive from shore. Easy 30+ fish days. Last year I caught pike, walleye, whitefish and perch from that spot, a lot of small ones but the odd really nice sized pike or walleye. Ps you will always snag the white fish by the tail and have quite the fight on your hands.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Since your going to Wab, go to the provincial park dock the left one just before dark cast way far out to the northwest and you will slay 8-16 pounders just before dark, any large spoon will work, reel in slow and yes you may get some weeds but do not reel in to slow.
In my opinion you should never reel slow in for pike if they want it they'll catch it , reeling in at a medium medium high pace sets there instincts to hammer it , I found a really good article on Pike I'll have to find it on the computer I'll share it .
Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Ive read posts where 100+ walleye can be caught off the picnic table at Pigeon Lake
Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 PM

Go to the narrows of Lac Ste Anne, catch some walleyes, carry on.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Ive read posts where 100+ walleye can be caught off the picnic table at Pigeon Lake

Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

stop calling me Dumb,,,,,,,,lol

sorry ABB, i be good

p.s. Horse says hello
Old 07-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
stop calling me Dumb,,,,,,,,lol

sorry ABB, i be good

p.s. Horse says hello
lol... Send horse my love
Old 07-07-2012, 03:01 PM

When I come to Edmonton over 20 years ago, there was no internet. I had AMA maps of Alberta and I bought Mitchell's Fishing guide. In an hour I had marked all the lakes within 2 hours from Edmonton. Fishing regulations gave me the size of fish and the keeping number. Easy to do if you are willing to put some efforts. From Angles's Atlas I got the the depth chart of the most lakes(after 1998). Do your homework first and after that ask questions. JMO
Good lack!