Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I like fishing.

Spent last night on lower arrow pulling in 12-14" pea mouth chub (I think) and huge long nose suckers (I think).

Perfect night.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
The long fight to bring in a monster.
I bet it was ounces away from a world record!

Some people like fishing were you can drive up to the shoreline, only have to cast your rod once, and sit and eat chips for hours waiting to catch a fish.

Other people like to spend an entire day hiking along a stream exploring areas that aren't covered in forked sticks and old minnow tubs. The downside to this type of fishing is it requires you to actually get some exercise...

That being said, I do like bass fishing...
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Gone Hunting

I've fished for about every species one can catch in Alberta.

I've caught my share of Rainbow and Cutthroat plus a few Browns and a Dolly or two.

Can't say that I was impressed. Give me a Jack or a Walleye any day.
Or for a good tussle, a Goldeye will do any day.

If one wants a challenge, a chub can defeat the best. Mind you they taste like dirt.

For my money, Jack and Walleye are the best
Anyone who thinks a Jack doesn't put up a fight, hasn't hooked one of our Northern Jack.
I have caught plenty down south and down there they don't put up a fight.
Up here they can fight as good as any fish.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Walleye are not great eating (good but not great). Usually too soft for my liking. Pike and Perch are pretty much the best short of halibut with perch getting the nod over pike. Trout taste like the bottom of a slough, even in the winter.

Sizeable pike are the most sporting fish on medium tackle IMO.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM

I guess it all depends on your tackle. We all could use a super light weight rod with 4 pound test line. A wrestle with a 15" fish of any kind. To make it feel like a good fight. But in the end are we not supposed to bring the fish in as quickly as possible in an attempt to reduce stress on the fish? That is if we are actually gonna keep it to eat. Can't see a 15" fish really to be a worth while meal. JMO!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
NSR Monger you are comparing apples to oranges. Fly fishing is alot more skill based imo with the casting/knowing the hatch and so on. It not about how huge the fish is. That being said there are some massive trout in alberta, try tying into a 28'' bull trout on a 5wt rod. you will probably fail miserably at bringing it in.

trolling for lunker eyes and big pike is knowing the lake and knowing structure/depth while also timing bait fish runs/feeding cycles etc etc.

to each there own. One could arugue catching a 10lb+ walleye in alberta is more of a challenge then hunting a 25''+ brown. Dead wrong. Both are equally challenging and require vastly different skill sets.

Heres another type of example, consider the following;

A)Sure you can tie on an orange stimmie and pull in 20-30 nice cuts on a good day.

B)Sure you can anchor down on some nice structure and pull in 50+ decent walleye on a good day

A)But to be able to figure out that particular fly is producing and then finding what pools/runs/riffles/chutes the fish are holding in, all the while being able to present it properly to the trout takes its own type of skill.

B)But being able to find that spot, at the right time of day..while also knowing what lure and/or bait to use, and how to present that lure/bait also requires its own type of skill.

When all is said and done its apples and oranges. the two can't be compared.

My 2 cents
Oliver

Well said
Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Monger View Post
Even a HUGE trout is like 13-15 inches, not big by any means compared to the other sport fish in Alberta
13-15 inches is huge?

I suppose if you've never spend a day hammering 18-22" rainbows that fight like psychotic fiends you wouldn't understand. I feel sorry for you.

Let's see...

They're beautiful, sleek, fast, and agile.
Rainbows have the best fight pound for pound of any fish I've targeted.
They are often delicious.
They are easy to clean.
They don't stink nearly as bad as many other species.
They can be challenging to target depending on water body, time of year, etc.
They jump all over making the scenery that much more beautiful.
Their diet lends well to targeting them on flies.

I don't really understand your rant, but then again I enjoy catching whitefish, walleye, pike, and perch too. They all have their own unique allures and challenges.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 AM

Try a 23lb Rainbow on Kootaney Lake!

I rest my case.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I bet it was ounces away from a world record!

Some people like fishing were you can drive up to the shoreline, only have to cast your rod once, and sit and eat chips for hours waiting to catch a fish.

Other people like to spend an entire day hiking along a stream exploring areas that aren't covered in forked sticks and old minnow tubs. The downside to this type of fishing is it requires you to actually get some exercise...

That being said, I do like bass fishing...
Its only adults who give a rats behind about records.
When kids fish they fish because it is fun. you give your fish a quick weigh (only hoping to beat your own personal best) and let it go or throw it in the bucket to keep for laters. Unlike alberta where everything MUST die to keep it, we did our best to keep stuff alive until it hit the cleaning table to ensure fresh fish.

The only time I ever bothered to get weights recorded was for derbies. Then and only then was the weight of fish important.

Not everyone wants to hike hours to get to fish. Some people do like driving up near shore and then relaxing while they fish.

Personally I hate hiking, always have. I rather swim any day!

Insinuating that fishermen who hike to way off pools of water are superior is an insult to fishermen who fish different methods - especially those who aren't into chasing the trout.

Some would rather jump in a boat and go fish their fish. Does that make them an inferior fishermen? I think not.

In most cases the trouty boys know no different and figure the be all and end all is trout. Reality is there are so many different types of fish, fishing styles out there that work.

The only great lake I haven't fished is Huron.
I have fished lakes, ponds and streams.
I have fished the shores of Hawaii.

I have fished for everything from smelt to shark and much in between. The only fishermen I have ever found with an elitist attitude has been trout fishermen. Apparently their @#$% doesn't stink.

I have fished with young and old alike. I have subsistence fished most of my life. While some species I have caught were automatically released (bass, catfish, suckers, carp and the likes)
Perch, Walleye, Salmon, Crappie, sunfish were kept for food.
As a young adult I provided fresh fish to seniors who lived in the same condo complex along the river. The joy of being able to knock on a neighbours door and provide them with a meal of fresh fish - something they wouldn't have otherwise.

Alberta is too busy stocking fish that won't survive in many bodies of water they put them in. Creating ponds and trying to sustain life by spending but at what cost?

Quote:
The five species of game fish that have been introduced to Alberta are (eastern) brook trout, brown trout, golden trout, smallmouth bass and Dolly Varden (different from our native bull trout, which people used to call Dolly Varden). Most were introduced in the early to mid part of the 20th century either as experiments by fisheries managers or by individuals acting on their own initiative.

Rainbow trout are mostly introduced; the only native populations of rainbow trout exist in the Athabasca River and drainage. The brook, brown, golden and rainbow trout have become integral components of the game fish fauna of Alberta, while the other two introduced species have not. The Dolly Varden occur only in Chester Lake near Canmore and smallmouth bass may still exist in Island Lake, north of the town of Smoky Lake.

Each year, about four million fry and fingerlings from different species of sport fish are raised and stocked in reservoirs, lakes, and constructed ponds which cannot support a native fish population.
quote source - http://tinyurl.com/cy6wp8l
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post
You fish for Walleye, and I'll fish for trout. Good times for all, and all for perfectly good reasons!

hk
Great attitude. Well said.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 AM

In response I as well have fished from NWT north and all the way south to the Florida keys. I have caught my fair share of pike, walleye, perch, yes bass, and even sturgeon... I still fish for the above fish periodically but prefer when the opportunity arrises to fish trout off a fly. My opinion for myself, and maybe most fly fisher people is we have done both so how could our opinion by biast?

The question was asked - maybe knowing it would cause a rise out of people - is why? I felt we have answered. It's not easy on this forum to give an opinion without being classiffied as arogant.

Bottom line we have done both styles, we may prefer fly fishing for what it offers. Until you try both how can you say which is better?

I have eaten both apples and oranges, I like oranges better.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:19 AM

I like to fish for trout brcause of where they live....

I am not talking the pothole stocked alberta scum ponds.... I am talking clear cold rivers and lakes and the scenery.

Just got back froma week long fishing/camping trip and watching my 9 year old catch and reel in a 5 lb Kamloops Trout on a 4/5 weight fly that took him into his backing every time the fish saw the boat until the final time was incredibly awesome... What i think hooked him most however was the one that got away which was well over 5 lbs probably 7 or 8 lbs, lost him right at the boat because he was not quite done fighting after 3 long runs and a small bit of slack in line let him spit the hook.

He is an avid little pike fisherman but i think that experience spoiled him for life and now all he can talk about is fly fishing. He is in the back yard now practicing fly casting every day.

We caught our limit every night and ate them when we were on holidays until the final evening when we caught and released 22 Kaloops trout between 2 and 5 lbs. As fast as I could fry them in the pan in butter and seasoning and take them out and peel the meat off of the bones I had four little boys gobbling them up and i barely was able to get a taste..... Gawd I miss BC.

All types of fishing is fun for its own reasons and being able to have the variety we have is a fortunate privelege and I will never bash another style of fishing if it is within the law.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Ignorance is bliss....?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 AM

We are arguing about which is the best fish? c'mon guys and girls... it's a totally subjective issue... it's your opinion and preference. You like jack the best? Wonderful. Good for you. Not a thing wrong with that. Would be pretty crowded if we were all going for the same species.

My only concern is folks who want to introduce new non-native species. I don't want to play with that fire. we already have enough trouble with bucket biologists. You want bass? Go on a little road trip for your next vacation. They aren't far. And yes, I know all the fish here weren't originally native. But they're here now. What we have now is fine.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 AM

TyreeUM ........... what's wrong with eating chips while fishing? lol. That was my favorite rant ....... thanks for a chuckle ........... a perfect picture was created in my head which illustrated your point "spot on".

I just pictured one of our "newbie" buddys casting a spoon in, letting it sink to the bottom, and begin stuffing his head with a giant bag of chips as we quietly exchanged glances and chuckled. A few minutes later a Pike hit his spoon that was dragging on the bottom as we drifted ........ lol ........ chips ........... freaking love it!!!!

I wonder if that would work for a trout?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I wonder if that would work for a trout?
I chum with Old Dutch....
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
There, I fixed your original post. NOW it makes sense...
hahahaha nice
Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM

I like to catch trout because pike slime is so Icky and walleye spines hurt my hands (which I bathe in ivory liquid)
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Default changing your mind

Just out of curiousity, what would it take to change your mind? Just to clarify the myriad of posts already, we have established that trout fight much harder than pike or walleye, are found in more desirable locations, and are often times more challenging to catch. I should state that I love to flyfish for pike and I don't find them to be stupid, just aggressive, which makes them fun as heck to catch on the fly. Having said this tho, a 3.5 pound trout (rainbow or brown) fights just as hard if not harder than a 10 pound pike!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrod1970 View Post
Just out of curiousity, what would it take to change your mind? Just to clarify the myriad of posts already, we have established that trout fight much harder than pike or walleye, are found in more desirable locations, and are often times more challenging to catch. I should state that I love to flyfish for pike and I don't find them to be stupid, just aggressive, which makes them fun as heck to catch on the fly. Having said this tho, a 3.5 pound trout (rainbow or brown) fights just as hard if not harder than a 10 pound pike!
Only because you use super light tackle!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Even a little girl can pull in a 15 lb trout. Here's a small part of the procedure. AND YES this is an average sized fish but it's way, way, way too far from Edmonton for Monger.
Edit: it's a video btw. just click on it. and it weighed out at 15 lbs.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
They are so damn small! They are ok to eat but sure as hell no walleye! Can't imagine they fight a whole lot either.........is the only reason people like catching trout because they can be more colorful than other sport species in Alberta?? I'm talking about TARGETING trout.......
You are likely very young or very inexperienced when it comes to fishing.

Each species offers its own uniqueness. Trout are far superior battlers as compared to warmer water specimens and many will argue far better table fair. I suggest you get out and try targeting trout outside of a stocked trout pothole. You’ll surprise yourself.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Alberta is too busy stocking fish that won't survive in many bodies of water they put them in. Creating ponds and trying to sustain life by spending but at what cost?
The cost is having to read your posts and replys...so the cost is great, I see your point. (haha j/k)

I like chips by the way - jalapeno usually, but I like to mix it up everyonce and a while...much like I mix up the species of fish I target. Most walleye fisherman I know don't like trout fishing because they have never targeted them or when they did, had no clue what they were doing. Trout fishing can be like crack, and I have pushed this drug on more than a couple walleye fisherman with great success....
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Relax...geeze!! It was a light hearted joke.

You don't like fishing trout, dont. Some do, some don't. Stupid thread to begin with. Why ask a question to which you already have your own feelings about?
Are you related to Shawn?

Gah.
I said I personally dont like it, but mayb I can, mayb i'm looking at it wrong, this was not a stupid thread, it was a good discussion/argument! Some people have shared why they enjoy trout fishing so much and I agree with some of their points, I am more open to trout fishing than I was 2 days ago......
Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissarmygeneral View Post
NSR you sure like trolling for arguments on this forum. Personally i target trout because I live in Calgary. If I lived in Edmonton i'd likely be hitting Wab or the NSR for Walleyes, Mooneye and Pike. I don't think there is anything more exciting than surface fishing during hopper season for big bows/browns and cut ties.
lol well said. I like trolling the forum or wab, both are fun hahahah
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
trout are so stupid. Throw on anything that remotely looks like nothing but has something resembling a hook attached to it and you can catch them as long as it comes within 4 feet of their face...oh wait thats a pike...
Speaking of pike, I caught a 40 pound one last night on my offshore tuna setup...stupid thing didn't fight worth @#$%@...what were we talking about again?
yeah i bet you are right, that 2lb trout fights harder then this magical 40lb pike you caught last night.......are you in the NWT?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Monger FAILS again....Whomp whommmmp womp.

Am i the only one who's thankful that he feels the way he does?

Could you imagine him ruining your favorite holes?

Theres no urgency to change his mind from where i stand.
I asked people why they like trout fishing so much and I fail??? wonder if you have such a big mouth face to face

Last edited by NSR Monger; 08-15-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

OK i'm done with this, It was a simple discussion I wanted to start........I'm glad that a few of you can have a mature argument, where as most of you just take offense so quickly, Rekon willy and pickrel pat, you guys are complete tools, i hope i get to meet you super cool fishing experts some day
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I asked people why they like trout fishing so much and I fail??? wonder if you have such a big mouth face to face

Quote:
Rekon willy and pickrel pat, you guys are complete tools, i hope i get to meet you super cool fishing experts some day
Quoted for posterity.

Way to show your true colors again...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
OK i'm done with this, It was a simple discussion I wanted to start........I'm glad that a few of you can have a mature argument, where as most of you just take offense so quickly, Rekon willy and pickrel pat, you guys are complete tools, i hope i get to meet you super cool fishing experts some day
considering how you normally treat people on here i am surprised you had so many "mature" and respectfull answers. Do us all a favor and think twice before you post a comment. most of us appreciate reading mature and respectfull comments ourselves.