Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-25-2017, 08:08 AM

The smaller the shell, the more the savings, because I use less shot. A bag goes a long ways at 1/2 ounce per load.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:54 AM

Can a LEE Loadall kit do slugs? Like others have said, 12 ga target loads are cheap and the kid doesn't use his 410 much, prefers .22 for grouse.

I cast bullets and just picked up a 7/8oz slug mold on the cheap at WSS clearance, so I'm not sure if buying a shotgun press is worth the money for just a few hundred slugs a year for the range and some "might see a bear in the woods" type stuff.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Can a LEE Loadall kit do slugs? Like others have said, 12 ga target loads are cheap and the kid doesn't use his 410 much, prefers .22 for grouse.

I cast bullets and just picked up a 7/8oz slug mold on the cheap at WSS clearance, so I'm not sure if buying a shotgun press is worth the money for just a few hundred slugs a year for the range and some "might see a bear in the woods" type stuff.
While a proper shot-shell press is nice for sizing and priming, I do not use the powder or shot dispensing system for slugs or buck-shot.
IMHE, proper dies or a dedicated shot-shell press will produce the best hull closing folded crimp, and proper wad guide fingers make wad insertion MUCH easier.
A proper press will also more easily produce consistent component compression.

I have 12 ga dies and shell holder for use in a standard RC/CC SS press set up to use large 1 1/4" dies,
(and WTB a complete 18pc set of RCBS # 99000, 12 ga dies)
This system works well but not as well or nearly as fast or consistent as my old MEC Versa-Mec press, (similar to a 600 jr.)

Cost is a factor in everything, but knowledge is priceless.

We can CURRENTLY buy factory loaded 12 ga cheaper than we can purchase and load components, but economics can change dramatically and quickly.

Cost savings are currently possible loading slugs and buck-shot and both are easy to cast using inexpensive Lee molds, (Lee slugs fit into some wad designs better than others).
A shot-maker and a source of scrap lead can change economics.
Some shooters load specialized ‘spreader’ and other custom loads that are not commonly available inexpensively.

Shot-shell loading is quite different from metallic.
Hull designs are quite varied and wads are not universal.
I load AA, STS & FGM type hulls, as free hulls, suitable wads and load data are often available.

I suggest you read a couple of shot-shell loading books, and collect samples of common hulls to section (cut open) and learn construction.

Inexpensive shot-shell loading presses are often available at shows and estate sales.
I suggest a simple single stage press such as an MEC 600 jr or similar (there are many variations).
Powder and shot dispensing systems are not required, for low volume use a scale and funnel.
The press is used for sizing and priming, wad insertion, and crimp folding,

For me it is a matter of knowledge and ability to make and do things that I do not need now but may in the future.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post

According too Richard lee you can load the lee Key drive slugs on any shotshell loader.
I do many of the steps by hand however.
Cat
Old 12-28-2017, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I've got some reading to do and some night shifts coming up again in a few weeks, should work well.