Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I like all three that I have/had. All of them were purchased within the last two years.
Compared to the early models (pre 1990) Rem quality hit the down slope shortly after DuPont sold the Brand. From that point it's been flipped several times , primarily to investment firms who had priorities other than manufacturing quality firearms. Not many Firearms Icons left in N America.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Default Intended Use

Rem 700 rifles have a long and storied past. They are iconic. They are the standard by which many rifles have been measured. If you are buying a rifle that simply needs minute of moose accuracy for hunting then bingo your set. If your a long range competitior your can buy one and use the action as your platform to build a 1/2 moa F class rifle.

Many of the custom action makers like Alberta Tactical, Ga Precision, Rbros Rifles, Stiller, and many others use the design as there template to build from. It is a design that is truely timeless.

Your accessory options are nearly limitless. You can customize almost everything about a rem 700 rifle, stocks, triggers, bolts, magazines and the list goes on.

The resale of Rem 700 is pretty good also as shooters are constantly looking to buy shot out rifles just for the action to use as a base to build. Thats a nice feature as well.

Most gun smiths are very familiar with the action and are able to perform wonders in making them more accurate and generally more useable.

There are alot of Pros to buying a Rem 700
Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Banned

I have probably owned 20 rem 700 BDL's and CDL's. All were great. I don't get attached to wood and metal, so they were sold to needy people and then replaced. The actions have ALWAYS been smooth right out of the box. They fit me good, and are accurate. I did learn to stay away from the d.m. models though.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
5000000 Hunters can't be wrong

i have had one since 1982

still in love with it

700m shot in Wainwright on a buck

25m on this wolf

added a BDC scope

some models are hunter friendly this is one

i still recommend Rem's 700 's

just a little bias though as 2 of my 3 guns are Rem's

597/7mm Mag

David
5M had limited choices /or budget, knowledge, experience, exposure ... had half a dozen over the years and the only 2 worth their weight are a 6.5x55 and 308 original classics .. only the 6.5 remains ... one mans .02 worth of experiences ... their custom shop products rates a sig. higher merit
Old 12-21-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
It seems the quality went straight downhill when they started producing the SPS. I handled a few in store and was turned off right away. The BDL and CDL are excellent rifles. It’s like the sps’s are the Norinco of the 700’s.
They should change SPS to SPOS.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
The Remington 700 is a great idea but not a great gun. The problem is that it is poorly executed and all of them have a very high probability something is going to need fixing to actually make it into the great gun it should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Rem 700 rifles have a long and storied past. They are iconic. They are the standard by which many rifles have been measured. If you are buying a rifle that simply needs minute of moose accuracy for hunting then bingo your set. If your a long range competitior your can buy one and use the action as your platform to build a 1/2 moa F class rifle.

Many of the custom action makers like Alberta Tactical, Ga Precision, Rbros Rifles, Stiller, and many others use the design as there template to build from. It is a design that is truely timeless.

Your accessory options are nearly limitless. You can customize almost everything about a rem 700 rifle, stocks, triggers, bolts, magazines and the list goes on.

The resale of Rem 700 is pretty good also as shooters are constantly looking to buy shot out rifles just for the action to use as a base to build. Thats a nice feature as well.

Most gun smiths are very familiar with the action and are able to perform wonders in making them more accurate and generally more useable.

There are alot of Pros to buying a Rem 700
That's just the thing, Which one is it? At 40 percent off are you getting a good deal on an awesome rifle that was left on the shelf because of A lot of bad publicity (that seems rightly deserved) Or are you getting a good deal on a headache and something that isn't going to hold up for very long without having to call the warranty card?
I will say that the SPS feels like a POS to me. The CDL felt like a quality piece.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Depends

If the rifle you buy isnt perfect out of the box are you willing to spend $1000 to make it a match accurate rifle? If so the Rem 700 is a great choice. They are great but they can be a bit hit or miss on quality.

I may not be the best person for advice on this. I am a casual hunter. However I am really into target shooting, I have my own range on my property. I am willing to spend more than most to make a rifle match accurate. I have done a couple of build outs on Rem 700 actions and my gun smith highly recommends them. I put Kreiger barrels on them and aftermarket triggers.

If your looking for an out of the box accurate hunting rifle you cant beat Tikka.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:34 PM
Banned

Is there really an out of the box ready to go match grade rifle? Yep, sure is but you’re spending a lot more money on it.

Myself personally, I’d buy another 4, 5, 6 700’s without issue.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:51 PM

I've owned a few and they were and are all excellent rifles. Some needed a better trigger but that's it.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned

I've never had an issue with any of the 700's that I've owned, and that includes the trigger. I am quite fond of the old 788's though. My current 788 is chambered in .222 Rem, it's very accurate.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:24 PM

Remington does a good job of making cheaper designed firearms work .
Old 12-22-2017, 06:45 AM

With the talk of SPS's being crap but bdl, cdl etc being quality can someone explain the difference other than the stocks one these? Im haveing a hard time seeing quality difference on an sps stainless with a jewelled
Bolt and a cdl ss other than the stock. I Could be wrong
Old 12-22-2017, 07:28 AM

There is no differance. CDL/BDL maybe a little more polished action but to think Remington has two lines producing good and one producing lesser quality actions is just foolish. The big trigger debate is kinda like the OLD ford edsel car. Everybodies uncles cousins friend had a huge problem that in actual fact never happened. The stocks on the SPS are no worse than the stocks on a tikka. I've had both and still have the sps, not the tikka. The triggers on the SPS are the same as the CDL also. Just news hipe is all.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:39 AM

You'll still be able to buy Remington guns for a long time.
Even if their current masters go under, there is far too much value in the brand for someone to let it die altogether.
Someone will continue to make them.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
The stocks on the SPS are no worse than the stocks on a tikka..
Are you serious?
Not
Even
Close
Old 12-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyT View Post
With the talk of SPS's being crap but bdl, cdl etc being quality can someone explain the difference other than the stocks one these? Im haveing a hard time seeing quality difference on an sps stainless with a jewelled
Bolt and a cdl ss other than the stock. I Could be wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
There is no differance. CDL/BDL maybe a little more polished action but to think Remington has two lines producing good and one producing lesser quality actions is just foolish. The big trigger debate is kinda like the OLD ford edsel car. Everybodies uncles cousins friend had a huge problem that in actual fact never happened. The stocks on the SPS are no worse than the stocks on a tikka. I've had both and still have the sps, not the tikka. The triggers on the SPS are the same as the CDL also. Just news hipe is all.
Looks aren’t everything. All you have to do is take one of each off the shelf, work the bolt and you will know which one is the SPS.
I thought the same as you and was going to buy a spsss in 223. Went to the gun counter, worked the bolt twice and set it down.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Limited exp

Well Ive only fired a couple that my uncle has, ones even a 300wby done my Remmington, and its a beautiful gun, and Ive a small love affair with their shotguns. Oh. The Wingmaster still makes me smile, but for bolt rifles, I tend to lean to European, I have a hard time time looking away from Tikka and Mauser.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Looks aren’t everything. All you have to do is take one of each off the shelf, work the bolt and you will know which one is the SPS.
I thought the same as you and was going to buy a spsss in 223. Went to the gun counter, worked the bolt twice and set it down.
They are the same barreled actions off the same production line. Some of the finishes differ. Any difference you feel in working the bolt is a difference in finish or just the difference between rifles. The rifles with jeweled bolts run smoother from the start, but once you cycle the SPS bolt a few thousand times they pretty much feel the same. I've owned several different 700s from several different eras.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
They are the same barreled actions off the same production line. Some of the finishes differ. Any difference you feel in working the bolt is a difference in finish or just the difference between rifles. The rifles with jeweled bolts run smoother from the start, but once you cycle the SPS bolt a few thousand times they pretty much feel the same. I've owned several different 700s from several different eras.
There you go, thank you.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:07 PM

I also have owned several of each of the sps and remingtons higher end 700s. The sps with the jewelled bolt cycles not different than a 700 Mountain SS. No need to pull one of each off the shelf, they are in the cabinet. The stocks are the only difference that i can tell on the stainless maybe the finishes are different Are different on the blued/parker'd ones. Thats why i asked, maybe someone knows if tolerances are tighter on the higher end ones but I somehow doubt thats the case. Either way good rifles
Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 PM

I have had issues with Remington QC, and so has my friend. I would take an X-Bolt over a 700 any day of the week.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Never owned a 700, but I've had several 760/7600 rifles, the oldest was made in the 50's and the newest in 2007. I also have a 870 Wingmaster, all of my Remington guns have worked flawlessly and the rifles have all been accurate. The only complaint that I have is that the newest 7600 seems to have a rough bore, put 20 shots through it and the patches come out bright blue. Never seen a rifle that copper fouled so fast, but it did shoot well.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:07 PM

Default This might help

I am a big fan of 700 actions. Like I stated earlier they are the blueprint for many other companies high end actions. They can be the foundation of an excellent rifle. You might get lucky and buy one with a perfect barrel or you might get one like shown in the video I am going to link. If your a hunter who does not shoot more than 10 or 20 rounds a year and only needs minute of moose then it doesnt matter.

https://youtu.be/hf9zZqn00CA

If your the kind of person that doesnt mind taking your rifle to a smith and having a match grade barrel put on a 700 they are perfect (might get lucky and not need to). If you simply want a top quality firearm and have no interest in customizing it then you may want to consider other options in the same price range.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:10 PM

That video is BY Lilja advertising thier barrels. Of course he is going to find a perfect Lilja barrel and who knows how many remington barrels he looked at before he found that one. Of course there is going to be some not perfect, even bad remington barrels. With the number of remington rifle put out it would be foolish to think they are all perfect but I'm sure in Lilja's past at least a few dissatisfied customers have had problems too. I had to return a Leupold scope this fall because the reticle came loose. They are all junk--not really. They are very good, just that one was poor. Goes to show all good products have a few failures. I have remington 700's from the 1980's, 1990's and a few from 2000's and to tell the truth my 2006 model VLS is every bit as smoth and accurate as my 1980's Varmint Specials.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:11 PM

From a gunsmithing perspective most of us love them as they create a lot of job opportunities .

One of the main reasons the 700 is used for builds is a round piece is easier to do machine work .
Old 12-22-2017, 03:03 PM

I'm a big Remington fan, I have 5 700's and 2 7600 and 1 870. They all shoot great, very reliable and easy to customize when you want to. I haven't had an issue with any of mine at all, I recommend them to others if it's in the price range or if the deal is there.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 PM

I love my Remington’s! Have original Xcr in 270, vtr 223, SPS Varmint in 22-250, long range in 300win, 870 wingmaster, 870 Marine magnum. The only one ever give me an issue was the Marine when it was new. Had a burr on the shear pin, once removed has been flawless since. All great looking, great shooters. Will be building a few customs on 700 actions. I do agree the original stocks are junk on my models, except the bell Carlson on the long range.
Personally as far as a bolt action I have no desire for anything else.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:48 PM

I love my Remington 700 Classic in 7mm RM. Also have a 1963 700 with a 20" barrel in 30-06. These are my last 2 700's. I've owned as much as 12 at one time. Never had an issue with any of them. Mind you, the youngest was a Classic made in 2004. Most of the ones that I've had were from the late 70's to early 90's
Old 12-23-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
That's just the thing, Which one is it? At 40 percent off are you getting a good deal on an awesome rifle that was left on the shelf because of A lot of bad publicity (that seems rightly deserved) Or are you getting a good deal on a headache and something that isn't going to hold up for very long without having to call the warranty card?
I will say that the SPS feels like a POS to me. The CDL felt like a quality piece.
Its amazing the difference metal surface finish and a nice wood stock can make on how a gun "feels".

I have ripped a few Remington's apart now from the new sps and cdl to old ones and they can all have their problems. I do hate the sps bolts in particular, seems like they are smaller diameter (more slop) and out of round worse than normal.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:14 AM

I bought a rem 700 project gun from Epp’s... 700 action, stainless barrel, custom walnut stock... left hand.

It’s my go to hunting rig and damn is she accurate. Very good action... I’ll probably own it for life.

MarkG is correct big time. Great system to build on.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."