Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2017, 04:57 PM

i have my dads old 700 in 7mm rem mag, he bought it in the late 70's and i've been using it for 20 years , its a tack driver , reliable and smooth. i bought an sps in 7mm08 a few years back , it was accurate but no matter how much care i took i couldn't get it to pick up a shell reliably from the magazine , either it wouldn't take one at all or 2 or 3 would fly out when i cycled the bolt . the last straw was the click with them biggest mule buck i ever saw in front of me. i'll keep my dads old rifle till i'm too old to hunt but my go to rifle now is a tikka.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
i have my dads old 700 in 7mm rem mag, he bought it in the late 70's and i've been using it for 20 years , its a tack driver , reliable and smooth. i bought an sps in 7mm08 a few years back , it was accurate but no matter how much care i took i couldn't get it to pick up a shell reliably from the magazine , either it wouldn't take one at all or 2 or 3 would fly out when i cycled the bolt . the last straw was the click with them biggest mule buck i ever saw in front of me. i'll keep my dads old rifle till i'm too old to hunt but my go to rifle now is a tikka.
Although this shows a lack of QC on Remington's part, any competent gunsmith could have your SPS running 100% in short order.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

My big question to anyone that is having problems with these rifles, did you contact Remington or did you just decide to keyboard commando and not even give them a chance to fix it?
I agree that the QC has gotten worse. So has pretty much everyone's, some just more than others. The biggest mark or a company is how they deal with the customer service if there is an issue.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
My big question to anyone that is having problems with these rifles, did you contact Remington or did you just decide to keyboard commando and not even give them a chance to fix it?
I agree that the QC has gotten worse. So has pretty much everyone's, some just more than others. The biggest mark or a company is how they deal with the customer service if there is an issue.
I am sending my sons SPOS away for the 3rd time to Gravel Agency for the same problem. They don't seem very competent. How many tries should I give them?

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

For this, I would be very upset as well. Maybe it's time to tell them you want money back or a new rifle. However, this seems to be the exception instead of the norm from the results I'm hearing from Gravel reviews that I've seen.

What is the problem? Maybe take it to a local smith, the dealer you bought it from and send Remington/Gravel a bill.

I do agree, this case seems excessive.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:45 PM

The extractor does not recess completely into the bolt when chambering a round thus marring the brass. Seems like an easy fix to me. Next step will not be Gravel if they don't get it right and I doubt they will pay .

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-25-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
no time for that , sold it and bought a tikka , i got better things to do than wait for a repair.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:18 PM

My vote goes for a 1980s model. At one point I had at least 10 Rem700s in the collection, some old, some new. Only every came across one rifle that did not shoot well and one other with serious quality control issues.

- The poor shooter was a Titanium in 30-06 and it's best grouping was about 8" at 100M. Used that action for a build.

- The poor QC was an Alaskan Titanium. Didn't feed, didn't eject, the stock was twisted, damage on the receiver, the holes for the receiver screws were way out of alignment causing even further misalignment within the stock, and damage to the crown. I had a fight on my hands with the shop until I posted on here about the crappy rifle they sent me. They refunded me immediately after I posted on here and others started chiming in about previous bad service. Can't recall the shop name but it was in South Calgary, just off Macleod Trail. They are out of business now.

I have owned quite a few good Rem700s. I sold most of them but keep a couple of my favs. I have no concerns about the more recent rifles. I bought one of the new compact heavy barrels. Accuracy is excellent. Only complaint is the crappy triggers. The Remington trigger has been my complaint for years. The first thing I do when I buy a Rem or one of buds picks one up is replace the factory trigger with a Timney or Jewell.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:34 PM

I've been debating between a 700 action and Savage action myself. Slowly leaning towards the Savage, specifically the 10FCP-SR in .308 or the 10T-SR in 6.5 CM.