Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Kokanee9 That's definitely a redneck engineering but hey if it works for you that's all that matters . But I still don't understand the elastic band thing though but that doesn't matter . I know you sometimes see guys using Elastic bands on there sinkers for rocky areas so your just losing the weight and not the entire rig .
that is the exact reason. with this rig people will tipically fish more than one fly / whatever. the weight / coathanger is the most likely thing to get snagged. The elastic band will break before your line. so you only lose the weight or the .01cent coat hanger.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 AM

Thanks for all the help I made the Kokanee 9 rig today and a couple dropshots gonna go try them out hopefully tomorrow morn!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
that is the exact reason. with this rig people will tipically fish more than one fly / whatever. the weight / coathanger is the most likely thing to get snagged. The elastic band will break before your line. so you only lose the weight or the .01cent coat hanger.
I guess id sooner lose a 25 cent sinker then have some massive looking redneck contraption to skewer some poor un suspecting person or thing as I casted that thing out there . All kidding aside if your worried about loseing a dollar weight you best better re judge fishing at all .
Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Banned

its not just a weight though. Its the weight and your 3 flies + the time it takes you to retie your rig. Another reason for using a coathanger is that it is because of the shape. Its just like the wire sticking out of a bottom bowncer. the wire taps the rocks and twitches the flies. I am with you for the most part. I just use a bell sinker. if you fish the water enough with this rig you get to learn where rocks are that you snag on. By the 5th time you go out you dont lose any gear because you know where to cast. But first time using this rig i lost a butt load of flies, weights, line. by the end of the summer I odont think i lost any
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
its not just a weight though. Its the weight and your 3 flies + the time it takes you to retie your rig. Another reason for using a coathanger is that it is because of the shape. Its just like the wire sticking out of a bottom bowncer. the wire taps the rocks and twitches the flies. I am with you for the most part. I just use a bell sinker. if you fish the water enough with this rig you get to learn where rocks are that you snag on. By the 5th time you go out you dont lose any gear because you know where to cast. But first time using this rig i lost a butt load of flies, weights, line. by the end of the summer I odont think i lost any
I understand that , but that's part of fishing , sometimes you lose gear sometimes you catch someone else's , sometimes you keep your own and no one else's . Its just like sometimes you catch fish and sometimes you don't . It is definitely a neat Idea and im not knocking it but I don't think it is something id want to use . Ill stick to using my rig of a sturgeon rig or drop shot rig . And attach the weight with an elastic or directly to my line .

I buy all my terminal gear in large amounts so its not a huge deal if I lose 3 or 4 pyramid sinkers . I actually just found a new Sinker called Buttplug sinker the thing is the cats meow , comes in 4 and 6 oz and the shape is so it doesn't get stuck . So I'm having a bunch made up and will try them out , might be a little better then the 4 oz pyramid sinkers and more sleek as well .
Old 04-07-2011, 01:36 PM

What are some good rigs to use from shorebesides the ole P-rig???
Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclennanchris View Post
What are some good rigs to use from shorebesides the ole P-rig???
Drop shot rig is really good , cant go wrong with Slip boober and Jig , Just depends if your fishing lake , pond , river what . Kind of need more information . Feel free to shoot me a message and Ill set you up with a bunch of drawings and how to tie these things up .
Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I understand that , but that's part of fishing , sometimes you lose gear sometimes you catch someone else's , sometimes you keep your own and no one else's . Its just like sometimes you catch fish and sometimes you don't . It is definitely a neat Idea and im not knocking it but I don't think it is something id want to use . Ill stick to using my rig of a sturgeon rig or drop shot rig . And attach the weight with an elastic or directly to my line .

I buy all my terminal gear in large amounts so its not a huge deal if I lose 3 or 4 pyramid sinkers . I actually just found a new Sinker called Buttplug sinker the thing is the cats meow , comes in 4 and 6 oz and the shape is so it doesn't get stuck . So I'm having a bunch made up and will try them out , might be a little better then the 4 oz pyramid sinkers and more sleek as well .
any and every shape gets stuck. no getting around it.