Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Banned

Default Fly fishing trout in a lake

Alright guys, I promise I'll stop polluting this forum with my questions after this thread

Now I'm new to fly fishing for trout, just caught my first 2 rainbows this week
I have some time off next week from work and I am heading to banff hoping to get in a good day or 2 of fishing on some lakes so far I heard eagle lake is good for cut throats, any other lakes that are open that are good?

Anyways I'm looking for help and advice for a good rig for fly fishing these lakes, a buddy of mine helped me out drawing this photo;

(The one on the left is good for lakes I was told)
Now which flies would you guys recommend for this type of set up?

And would using a fly like the woolie bugger be a good general fly to use for all species if trout just casting and stripping in?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
Alright guys, I promise I'll stop polluting this forum with my questions after this thread

Now I'm new to fly fishing for trout, just caught my first 2 rainbows this week
I have some time off next week from work and I am heading to banff hoping to get in a good day or 2 of fishing on some lakes so far I heard eagle lake is good for cut throats, any other lakes that are open that are good?

Anyways I'm looking for help and advice for a good rig for fly fishing these lakes, a buddy of mine helped me out drawing this photo;

Now which flies would you guys recommend for this type of set up?

And would using a fly like the woolie bugger be a good general fly to use for all species if trout just casting and stripping in?

The first one is going to have 16 to 20 feet of leader and Tippett with a bunch of weight after that. It will be difficult to cast for sure. Try the flies you mentioned and see how they work.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
The first one is going to have 16 to 20 feet of leader and Tippett with a bunch of weight after that. It will be difficult to cast for sure. Try the flies you mentioned and see how they work.
This was my first thought too ... seems like a clumbsy set up to cast so me id find something foam like a beetle or if you can get em to go for it a grasshopper with a cromi or a small copper john about 2 ft below and get an assortment of smallish leaches I like the sparkly ones with red and black tailed and just blast it out past we weed edge and do a steady retrieve not so much stripping it and I bet youll find some fish
Old 06-11-2014, 10:31 PM

The closer the indicator is to your fly line, easier it will be to cast. Use fluorocarbon to attach flies. If you use a tungsten bead on upper fly you won't need a swivel
Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post

Don't discount the dropper rig on the right for lake fishing. If fish are rising I'll use this setup with a small nymph underneath a dry especially if I'm not 100% sure what they're taking on the surface. Sometimes they will target the dry and I'll just remove the dropper but often I find they prefer to hit the nymph.

A couple weeks ago I used this rig at a nearby pond and of about 15 rainbows landed only one was on the dry. The rest all took a small black chironomid about 18" below. If you use a small, unweighted chironomid you can use pretty much any dry fly necessary to match the hatch but when in doubt I go with an elk hair caddis or parachute adams because they're reasonably easy to see.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM

Both set ups will have their time and place. You are on the right track.

For the weighted set up, try dragon nymphs, leeches, and a myriad of other nymphs. You can try copper johns, hares ears, prince nymphs, really any wet fly/nymph and figure out what they are feeding on for the day. Try targeting weedlines.

For the hopper dropper, tie on a stimulator, grasshopper and then try the above flies on the dropper.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
The closer the indicator is to your fly line, easier it will be to cast. Use fluorocarbon to attach flies.
This^^^
There's no need to have that 12' tapered leader from flyline to indi,unless maybe you are fishing shallow,clear water and concerned with flyline spooking fish?Other than special circumstances like that,your just causing yourself grief.
I'd shorten the distance from flyline to indi with 3-4' of 8-10lb maxima,then 6lb floro to the first fly,and 4lb floro to the dropper.That will cast reasonably well to moderate depths,and if you need to get deeper then say 10-12' from indi to the first fly(or swivel) consider starting with a heavier butt section like 12lb to the indi,then tie a tapered leader with bloodknots or dbl surgeon knots with 10:8:6lb floro in a 60:20:20 ratio.
Casting super long leaders is tricky at the best of times,but the taper will help.If your fishing from a boat,no need to worry about casting too much anyhow,just flip it over the side and let'er drift downwind.If your casting from shore,chances are you'll rarely need more then 10' from indi to fly anyhow?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 AM

Since no one has mentioned it yet, I will. I highly recommend a medium full sink line for lake fishing for trout. I find it easier to cast than using splitshot, and gets your flies down to the fish when they're deeper without excess leader / tippet. Personally I use the sinking line more than the floating line on stillwater.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Banned

Wow thanks a lot for the help guys this makes more sense to me now!

With the nymph set up is it just cast it out there let it sit for a couple of minutes then strip a bit in and let it sit?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Banned

Cool

▲▲▲ that will get fish , however ,vary your your retrieve for the first hour till you find what the fish want As to speed.
I have on occasion found a long slow draw as you lift the rod slowly can get savage strikes. Remember the keyed insect is in emergance and going for the surface or toward vegitation to prepare for accent. Tight lines.