Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 03:49 PM

Default European Nightcrawlers Edmonton

Hi All,

I have searched the internet and all of the old threads on here. I want to start a worm farm for fishing bait and I can not find any European Nightcrawlers locally in Edmonton.

Does anyone know if anyone sells them here in town or if not where I can get them?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:57 PM

Ok what is the difference between European night crawlers and North American ones?

Not a big worm guy and all I know is there is big dew worms/night crawlers or small garden worms
Old 03-05-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ok what is the difference between European night crawlers and North American ones?

Not a big worm guy and all I know is there is big dew worms/night crawlers or small garden worms
I am not an expert but my understanding is the Euro Nightcrawlers are a little bit easier to raise in a shallow container and are a little bit more resilient to temp changes so they're easier to maintain a farm.

That is just my understanding.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
I am not an expert but my understanding is the Euro Nightcrawlers are a little bit easier to raise in a shallow container and are a little bit more resilient to temp changes so they're easier to maintain a farm.

That is just my understanding.
Worms are not native to north america actually. Euro night crawlers have many benefits from a farming standpoint. They enjoy being close to other worms, compost food very fast and are very easy to raise. Dew worms hate being near other worms and are very hard to raise in a closed environment. They don't compost at all really compared to other smaller composting worms.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
Worms are not native to north america actually. Euro night crawlers have many benefits from a farming standpoint. They enjoy being close to other worms, compost food very fast and are very easy to raise. Dew worms hate being near other worms and are very hard to raise in a closed environment. They don't compost at all really compared to other smaller composting worms.
Do you have any leads on where to buy them?
Old 03-05-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Do you have any leads on where to buy them?
I may be able to help you out, let me ask my friend first. He got me started years ago and its a really fun hobby.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I may be able to help you out, let me ask my friend first. He got me started years ago and its a really fun hobby.
That would be appreciated. I am new to it so I will take any pointers that anyone is willing to share.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:09 PM

Sounds like he isn't currently selling any but if you want to order some, your best bets seem to be out of Vancouver and Ontario. If you want links, i can provide you with a few.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Sounds like he isn't currently selling any but if you want to order some, your best bets seem to be out of Vancouver and Ontario. If you want links, i can provide you with a few.
That would be awesome if you could share those. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:49 PM

Well I don’t know exactly what kind of night crawler lives in the lower mainland but my dad used to keep a 8x4x4 box full of them in the basement. They reproduced and he fed them shredded vegetables/grass clippings and I think even paper. The original stock was what we collected in the yard

I never paid attention beyond that. I just raided them for trout and sturgeon bait as a kid

There definitely isn’t a lack of them in the lower mainland if they are the correct kind
Old 03-05-2024, 06:03 PM

Sometimes they have them at the Canadian Tire and Pet Smart but it might be too costly to start a farm.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
That would be awesome if you could share those. Thank you.
https://www.tricityworms.com/product...39924873691290

https://countrybait2.myshopify.com/c.../500-red-worms

We bought our worms from countrybait and they were awesome. We usually just group order to save on shipping. I only posted the first link because they are closer and offer free shipping. I wouldn't personally pay over $45 a pound for any worms. Your call!
Old 03-05-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
https://www.tricityworms.com/product...39924873691290

https://countrybait2.myshopify.com/c.../500-red-worms

We bought our worms from countrybait and they were awesome. We usually just group order to save on shipping. I only posted the first link because they are closer and offer free shipping. I wouldn't personally pay over $45 a pound for any worms. Your call!
Thank you for sharing with me. I appreciate it those quantities should be more than enough to get a good start going for me.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:47 PM

I believe I saw a pack of 18 in the Cambodian tire bait fridge. Did not see them from outside the little baggie, are they just like our dew worms in terms of size?
Old 03-06-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
I believe I saw a pack of 18 in the Cambodian tire bait fridge. Did not see them from outside the little baggie, are they just like our dew worms in terms of size?
They are smaller or rather thinner. They seem to be more dark red in color to me than the dew worms.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
Thanks for sharing where you found them. I just don't think that I would be patient enough to start with only 18.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:11 AM

Lloyd Christmas should have some. Him and his buddy Harry started a worm farm called "I got worms".
Old 03-06-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
Lloyd Christmas should have some. Him and his buddy Harry started a worm farm called "I got worms".
This is what my brother said when I told him that I wanted to do this. He goes "great now I'm living with the real life dumb and dumber"
Old 03-06-2024, 05:13 PM

Just don't turn out like me... started my first worm farm 2 years ago for fishing bait and I still haven't used a single one for bait. I just can't kill the little buggers, they are like pets after you feed and grow them hah! Up to 5 farms now and looking to make a gigantic one this spring.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:42 PM

I can tell you from experience to be sure none of your dew worms ever escape into your lawn. They will wreck your lawn in a few years. The mounds they make turn your lawn into an obstacle course for your lawnmower.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
I can tell you from experience to be sure none of your dew worms ever escape into your lawn. They will wreck your lawn in a few years. The mounds they make turn your lawn into an obstacle course for your lawnmower.
Odd there is tons in the lower mainland and never seen an issue with lawns when I lived there
Old 03-06-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
My front lawn and back lawn are absolutely full of dew worms. I have an endless supply of nightcrawlers for fishing for years. It don't have an issue with any mounds thankfully. I don't think I do anything differently other than I have ample amount of space (acres), but curious to know why they make a mess in other scenarios.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:47 PM

Let me get this straight; you are asking for help in raising an invasive species that will never be released; right?
Old 03-07-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Let me get this straight; you are asking for help in raising an invasive species that will never be released; right?
and we wonder why threads get derailed and off topic. I enjoyed all the comments up until this
Old 03-07-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post

Yes I am. These are sold all of the time for people to use in compost bins.

Also a person can walk into the fishin hole and buy a box of European Nightcrawlers for fishing bait. That’s my intention is to use them for fishing bait because I buy lots of them.