Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Default antique fly fishing gear

these are some pics old fly fishing gear handed down to me from my father. i believe the rod and reel were bought in 1968 and used 2x. anyone have any info on these items? value? age? history?the rod has terry thomas signature i think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0426.JPG (38.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0427.JPG (87.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0429.JPG (110.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0432.JPG (99.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0434.JPG (117.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0436.JPG (100.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0437.JPG (40.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0440.JPG (42.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM

There are a couple of Edgar Sealey's up on e-bay right now but you're not going to like the price.
No Terry Thomas SF Trouts though. Terry Thomas, who's name is on your rod, apparently is NOT the old British comic but a guy who used to have a Limie fishing show in the 60s.
The Hardy Marguis looks like a better bet. They were discontinued but the demand was so great Hardy cranked up production again. There are some around for over a hundred UK pounds.
But don't give up your day job right yet.
It's a wonderful rod, reel and flies with great sentimental value.
But it ain't yer ticket outa here.
I had the same let down feeling when I priced out my Lee Wulff signature Sharpe's a little while ago.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
these are some pics old fly fishing gear handed down to me from my father. i believe the rod and reel were bought in 1968 and used 2x. anyone have any info on these items? value? age? history?the rod has terry thomas signature i think
Edgar Sealey's made the Octopus series in the 1960' and the Terry Thomas was a variant of these. They are fiberglass. Do you have a length for these and a line weight? They may have the old British line weight instead of the AFTMA rating e.g. a DT 7F would show as an HCH an DT 8F would be GBG. The 60's is when a lot of UK manufacturers were transitioning to the AFTMA ratings. Sealy also made their Octopus line of hooks.

It is hard to give a value for these, as fiberglass rods fell out of favour in the 1970's. However, fiberglass is making a bit of a comeback because of the slower action. That said, UK tapers were different from North American tapers and a bit slower.

The Hardy Marquis was, dare I say, their lower end reels. The rivets are aluminum and not brass as in the more pricey Hardy's of the time. However, all of the Hardy's remain collectible. I sold a Marquis a couple years back for $120.00, but they may be going for more these days. The original Marquis were a trout/sea-trout reel and Had a fairly narrow spool. You may get over $200.00 on a good day.

In the one box of flies I can see more clearly, the flies look like they were likely tied in Taiwan and are not of much value. difficult to see the others though. Do the boxes have a makers name, some boxes are collectible such as Wheatley or Hardy
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM

the one box of flys says martin james on the paperwork
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
the one box of flys says martin james on the paperwork
I am not familiar with that brand. However, there is a UK angling writer/broadcaster called Martin James who has been around for years. Probably has some association with him especially as the rods and reel are from UK. This is by Martin James, from Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXcBeASAfOw
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 PM

that perrine flybox is worth well over 15$ !!!