Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM

Default Lighter Weight Reel

Recently I purchased a couple rods and reels off another member and one of them was a 8 wt that I wanted to use to try pike fishing with.

I took it out one day and I noticed that the reel he sold me to go with the rod is a Loop Multi 3/6 wt reel. The rod is an Orvis T3 8 wt.

Now I am wondering what the consequences of using a lighter reel on a rod are and if I need to be careful with this or should be looking for a different reel.

The biggest issue that I can think of would be not enough drag. I know a 6 wt reel will have plenty strong enough drag for average/small size pike and also know Loop reels have strong drags but I am worried about what might happen if I were to catch a 10-15+ lber. Would this reel have strong enough drag for a fish like that? Also can it hurt the drag/reel if the drag is set close to maximum?

Another issue I thought of is balance. Most 8 wt reels seem to be 6-7 ounces whereas this reel is only 4.6 ounces. I didn't notice it seeming to feel unbalanced the little I used it but I also know next to nothing about fly fishing to know what it should feel like. I am guessing the 4.6 ounces is nicer then having the 6/9 reel which weighs over 9 ounces.

The only other thing I can think of is capacity but it came with what is supposedly a 8 wt line and it spooled on easily even with a fair amount of backing.

So I guess what I am wondering is if there is any other reason that I shouldn't use this reel other then drag as that seems to be the biggest downfall. And if drag is the only issue if you think that is no problem even for lakes like Wabamun etc where I could catch a larger pike.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:50 PM

I doubt you'll notice a huge difference, so I'd just go fishing if I were you. If you don't like how it balances, replace it.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:26 PM

balance and line capacity would be the only drawbacks of a smaller reel. If it balances the rod well, and holds your line plus enough backing for those pike (I'm assuming that's why you got an 8wt), you're good.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
balance and line capacity would be the only drawbacks of a smaller reel. If it balances the rod well, and holds your line plus enough backing for those pike (I'm assuming that's why you got an 8wt), you're good.
Yes, I thought lilne capacity as well. Unless you can use the 6 wt I'd sell it and get an 8 wt. On top of that I'd get an 8wt that is saltwater compatible. Then you can take that 8 rig on your next ocean/tropical vacation too! Bonefish!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:48 PM

you could also use a finger or two to add more resistance if the drag is maxed out
Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Ok so pretty much what I thought and not a big issue as long as the drag is strong enough. I didn't measure the amount of backing on it but believe there is more then sufficient capacity.

I was a little disappointed because I bought it thinking I could use it on saltwater trips and I guess I still can but will have to be careful with capacity and drag depending on what species I go for. Might have to break down and buy a heavier duty reel although so far I honestly have had a hard time talking myself into using the fly rod very often. I am having a hard time getting over the much more difficult casting and far shorter casting distances.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 PM

For distance keep the leader shorter and try smaller flys and see how you do. You may just be using too big of a fly for the outfit. 6 wt. reel will have more than enough drag for any pike in Alberta.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 PM

keep casting and practice lots. soon it will be easy.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Banned

1)drag is way overated,on freshwater reels especially.Classic click/pawl fly reels have landed untold MILLIONS of fish with virtually no drag wutsoever,including millions of anadromous salmonids that could tow a pike backwards by the tail up and down the river.
2)pike aren't known for stamina nor reel scorching runs deep into the backing......don't worry about capacity,you will never get spooled by a pike.If you even see your backing at all,check alleged pike for a broad tail,webbed feet,and buck teeth,it's likely a beaver.
3)balance is completely subjective,there is no proper balance,only what feels right to you.You can always make a light reel heavier by wrapping lead tape or wire on the spool under the backing.

Last edited by grinr; 06-11-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Yeah I am not worried about drag with pike unless I caught one ~20 lbs. Not sure if this reel would do the trick down south for redfish or something like that which have pulling power galore. But with my casting distance I would never be able to catch one anyways...