Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 11:58 AM

Default cold lake early spring

Hey Folks, Hoping to catch a few lakers this year and was looking for some
advise. Our group spent 2 nights on the lake last winter in some rented shacks and we didn’t land a laker. i did catch a huge burb, 14lbs, but not what we were after so this year we are we plan on fishing cold lake may 15-20th. We don’t have down riggers, good electronics or really great gear for lakers. Any advice would be appreciated. Our basic thought would be the fish will all be in warmer water. our strategy would be casting spoons / trolling cranks and jogging in shallower. targeting the shallow back bays. Are lakers typically in the bays say 10ft or less depth wise. based on depth charts of the lakes the smaller back bays seem shallow.

We typically head to saskatchewan opening week and fish for pike and walleye but we’re hoping to try something new this yr. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:31 PM

If your only planning one trip this summer to cold lake i would not pick may . I find the old saying best fishing when the ice comes off is kinda of true because it’s better than sitting in the office. But the truth is the bite is very slow Water just needs to warm up for lakers and other fish to bite. June is much better.

Last edited by -JR-; 03-06-2024 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Hey Folks, Hoping to catch a few lakers this year and was looking for some
advise. Our group spent 2 nights on the lake last winter in some rented shacks and we didn’t land a laker. i did catch a huge burb, 14lbs, but not what we were after so this year we are we plan on fishing cold lake may 15-20th. We don’t have down riggers, good electronics or really great gear for lakers. Any advice would be appreciated. Our basic thought would be the fish will all be in warmer water. our strategy would be casting spoons / trolling cranks and jogging in shallower. targeting the shallow back bays. Are lakers typically in the bays say 10ft or less depth wise. based on depth charts of the lakes the smaller back bays seem shallow.

We typically head to saskatchewan opening week and fish for pike and walleye but we’re hoping to try something new this yr. Thanks for any input.
Lakers will always be where the bait is. Ciscoes generally don't spend a bunch of time in the smaller bays. It's more likely you'll find fish suspended over deep water rather than in shallow back bays at that time of year. Trolling from 15 to 50 feet up by the cold river will hold Lakers or even deeper.

Last edited by HL_transplant; 03-06-2024 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:10 PM

As posted above. Any I have found in May have been suspended in 10 - 20 FOW over deeper water. Look for shallow sandy areas adjacent to deep water. The shallow sandy areas warm up quicker drawing baitfish and the lakers suspend over the deeper water ambushing bait along the break line. It's been a few years since I've gone in May, the bite is usually slow but we've caught most of our better size fish in May flatlining BIG HEAVY spoons that will get down 10' or so. You can invest in dipsy divers too if you have heavy enough rods and pull your baits down much deeper without hundreds of feet of line let out or the price of downriggers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33-2.jpg (29.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 33-3.JPG (26.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg AA1.jpg (28.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg AA2 (2).jpg (54.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-07-2024, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone keep it coming. definitely sounds like we will need to adjust the strategy and maybe even the timing. really appreciate it! we are totally new to the trout game
Old 03-07-2024, 11:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Last two weeks of May, back bays for eyes and gators then into June turn to Lakers which generally are turned on and are aggressive.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-08-2024, 09:15 AM

Quite a few Mays ago I caught an 18lb laker casting for pike in 1 foot of water right on shore. French bay beach.What a fight that was.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:47 PM

So sitting in the lake, lots of chasers, that’s ok if they don’t bite as it seems they break off and then hit the deadstick!!!
Lots of 24-28 inch but nothing big….yet
Also getting reports of trucks not just getting stuck but buried real good breaking trail.
I am seeing 2 feet to 2 inches of snow but the drifted in areas are catching trucks.
Guess the lake needs to have fun too!
Calm, warm and catching so it’s all good.
130 fow but tomorrow I am going to fish an area that drops to 170 fow just to play more of the water columns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-08-2024, 02:52 PM

Oops posted this on the wrong thread .

18lbs laker well that’s a good fish!!!

One of my best came in 8fow in centre bay trolling for pike too in late may.

Ya never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk