Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2015, 06:12 PM

Default Spray lakes short notice

Looking for a quick update as I'm headin there this weekend. What's it look like recently.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Looking for a quick update as I'm headin there this weekend. What's it look like recently.
Did some fishing last week-end, got nothing. Others around me got no fish either.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:11 PM

Wonder if it's a good idea to try it (i love the lakers!!) ......., maybe just head to lower k or ghost if skunked....
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Wonder if it's a good idea to try it (i love the lakers!!) ......., maybe just head to lower k or ghost if skunked....
Lakers are usually not big there, correct me if I am wrong.
Ghost is good for whites
Never tried lower K, perhaps I should...
Old 02-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_rmk View Post
Ghost is good for whites
Never tried lower K, perhaps I should...
Normally I catch quite a few around the 13-16" mark at spray. Been to ghost a couple of times and not a bite. Same thing I here from most people. Never targeted whites though. It sounds like a tough lake to figure out. Spray has produced the most lakers for me
Old 02-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_rmk View Post
Usually they are not big, but once in a while you get a FISH. Just keep trying and make sure your tackle is strong enough for 4-6 pounder.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks for encouraging me, the lake itself is very deep even close to the shore. Sometimes 60-80 feet. Do u guys fish at northern part, middle or at south?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:08 PM

Was there today. Lots of water on the ice, and it's open well to the South of where it usually is, but ice at Driftwood was 12" (shallow) to 16" (deep).Fished deep for 3 hours in AM with no luck; moved to 12' depth and iced 5 lakers and a whitefish between noon and 2:15, when the wind picked up and the dog really started to shiver. Biggest laker was 16".

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Was there today. Lots of water on the ice, and it's open well to the South of where it usually is, but ice at Driftwood was 12" (shallow) to 16" (deep).Fished deep for 3 hours in AM with no luck; moved to 12' depth and iced 5 lakers and a whitefish between noon and 2:15, when the wind picked up and the dog really started to shiver. Biggest laker was 16".
Argh. On my list to fish this year. Even bought small smelt.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-08-2015, 06:27 PM

passed by ghost lake today any luck for anyone, i saw quite a bit of people many came to shore empty handed...... could it be the burbs spawnin
Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Banned

I was at Spray yesterday (Tues Feb 10/2015) and ~2wks ago (last week of Jan 2015). Here's my "report"...

- Ice at dam area (north-end of the lake) is VERY thin, large patches of open water.
It appears they've drained some of the lake also. BLACK DOT

- Ice at Driftwood was good (late January), but is showing sign of thinning (multiple large dark spots of snow, visible from shore) as of yesterday. But there are still huts being set-up on the ice, saw atleast 3 @ Driftwood yesterday. YELLOW DOT

- Ice (2 min drive, maybe 5km south of Driftwood) is visually more "stable" (only 2-3 small dark-spots). But access is road-side only, gotta hike thru the bush to get to the water. BLUE DOT

* as far as what I caught (or saw on the Marcum)... I'll just say, there's some big fish (20+ inches) in that lake. And there's lots of smaller (8-14") fish too !

** saw the most action in the 40-60ft depths, especially areas with structure on the bottom (logs, stumps, etc.). But they're somewhat picky/finnicky eaters, seemed to like white-wiggler or tube-jig...

I'll be fishing the same spot (#3) tomorrow, maybe a bit further south.

John

UNDERWATER VIDEO

Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Great report! Hats off to you, if I was only that good with technology! Obviously some computer skills.... me not so much.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post

Great report! Hats off to you, if I was only that good with technology! Obviously some computer skills.... me not so much.
Thank you.

I started fiddling around with my Commodore-64 shortly after I learned to fish (1985 'ish). I was writing code before I was in Junior High...

shhhhhhhhh...!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:18 PM

Love the nice big rock you found! Every time I head out the only bit of structure I find is the odd stump!

Thanks for the report!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM

Here is my tent been there 2 weeks ago, got nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0039.jpg (55.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Banned

Forgot to add, ice thickness is approx. 18"... Give or take an inch.

Was back again today (blue dot), windy as **** but still warm. =)

Saw what I think might have been a Golden Trout on the Marcum ? Anyone ever hear-tell-of any being caught, or actually catch one yourself ?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 PM

No chance of Goldens in there, I'd say -- Cutties or Rainbows, maybe.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 PM

Incidentally, I'm planning on being there tomorrow. If you see a guy who looks like my avatar with a dark green tent and a beautiful Brittany, swing by and say hi.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
No chance of Goldens in there, I'd say -- Cutties or Rainbows, maybe.
I also forgot to mention, my initial thoughts were that it looked more like a whitefish but (appeared to be) very "golden" in color (on the Marcum)...

What ever it was, it bolted as soon as I moved my lure.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:39 PM

I dont think so.... The goldens are from california... only stocked in the Southfork lakes and coral lake,,, castle river system and nsr system.. i think, no chance to get to spray lakes as part of the bow river system, i'd say.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:40 PM

I fish at the 120 to 130 ft depth and always do well.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:26 PM

Looking for a family ice fishing spot for next weekend maybe... haven't been here this month , it seems ideal..... DRiftwood? Sparrow hawk? or the spray lakes day use area? I heard of driftwood's ice deteriorating, I dont think it be ideal for all of us to stand on a load of deteriorating ice... should I get the van on the ice if it's weakening? I'll stick to 40-60 fow... no tent i'll need a sunny day
Old 02-18-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Looking for a family ice fishing spot for next weekend maybe... haven't been here this month , it seems ideal..... DRiftwood? Sparrow hawk? or the spray lakes day use area? I heard of driftwood's ice deteriorating, I dont think it be ideal for all of us to stand on a load of deteriorating ice... should I get the van on the ice if it's weakening? I'll stick to 40-60 fow... no tent i'll need a sunny day
You cant drive on at Spray. It is against the law. The ice is fine at Driftwood and Sparrowhawk for walking on.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
You cant drive on at Spray. It is against the law. The ice is fine at Driftwood and Sparrowhawk for walking on.
oh shoot thanks for the reminder..... never drove on it,, would be more convenient though