Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 AM

Default asphalt shingle replacement costs?

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much it will cost replace the shingles on a roof for a 1900 sq ft two story (approx 1200 sq ft of space under roof, whatever that works out to with slope). It is an older house so not too many gables or other architectural features, just a plain peaked roof and a an attached garage roof on a different level.

I'm figuring $10k, does that sound about right?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much it will cost replace the shingles on a roof for a 1900 sq ft two story (approx 1200 sq ft of space under roof, whatever that works out to with slope). It is an older house so not too many gables or other architectural features, just a plain peaked roof and a an attached garage roof on a different level.

Not sure about labour, but in edmonton I can supply you architectual fiberglass (better then asphalt) shingles for 0.72 per sq ft
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM

It's not hard to do it yourself.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
It's not hard to do it yourself.
Agreed. After getting a quote for $13K or $14K to redo our 4000 sqft of roofing, I figured "how hard can it be?"

The work is very labor intensive and I did 80% of the work alone, but I saved a lot of money. I bought malarkey 50yr shingles, plus all new vents, flashing, ice shield, tar paper, etc for under $4k total, delivered to the roof.

In my eyes, I made $9k that week by doing everything myself. Over a year later everything still looks great and haven't had a leak. "How hard can it be?"
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM

We did ours ourselves and saved a ton.

I cant recall what the Sqft price worked out to, but for about 3000 sqft it worked out to around $3300 with new vents and tar paper.

The work is labor intensive, but really wasnt that bad. 3 of us stripped and resurfaced 3000 sq ft in a day. It was a long day, but really wasnt that bad.

When we did ours, i rented 4 dumpsters from a local company. I used our big telehandler from work, and just lifted the dumpsters up to the edge of the eaves. We would strip the shingles and push them down the roof and into the dumpster. When the dumpster was full, we grabbed another one and kept going. It worked great, just make sure that you use a big enough telehandler to handle the weight of the shingles.

We had two guys laying shingles, and one running around with an air nailer. Worked fine.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 AM

The usual cost is between $1.30 to $2.00 a square foot depending on different variables. Steeper roofs 8/12 and above usually run a little more. Depending on the companies they try to "up sell" you on different things Ice & Water over tar paper, whirly birds over vents, new roof edge and several others depending on your roof. Best bet would be to get at least three estimates and see what the ball park is. Some people choose to pay a little more to get a bigger well established company that will be around in ten years as apposed to a smaller guy that may be gone next week.
That being said some of the smaller guys do a better job and if you are not scared of heights and your roof pitch is not extreme it is "easy" to do yourself. Most of the higher quality shingles have a nail line on them showing you were to do it and most include instruction on the back of each bundle that explains what to do.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM

Default shingles

I won a complete re roof package Via K97 three years ago. It was their 1st Nailer down contest. I was told it worked out to about a 10k package including 50yr shingles and other parts and labour.
Thanks Terry Bill and Steve! And Jason and all the guys from Global Roof!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
No, sounds too high.

Budget around $220 per square including removal and disposal of old shingles (if your roof is under 7/12)

A 1900 square foot two story with a 540 square foot garage will require around 23 squares. Job should be done with full paper on 30 year shingles for around 5 k.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Haven't visited AOF for a few years. I just did a google search for prices on reshingling roofs in Alberta and as I typed the search I thought to myself, I bet folks on AOF would know for sure. And the very first result for my search was this thread. I wasn't surprised but it sure gave me a smile.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:21 PM

What the top 3 options to shingles either fiberglass or asphalt?

Looking for durability from hail and other elements, long life, easy repair or repairs never needed.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-24-2017, 02:25 PM

architectural fiberglass , lots of the new house have those now and they weight down more and choose a lighter color if you have any trees hanging over, try to pruned or chop it off .. i find that it really help keeping the area clear and adequate ventilation will help it last longer. or metal its about twice as expensive .
Old 08-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Banned

Default Fyi.....

August 2017 .....I'm still installing new shingles on last years
Calgary hail damage ...
Prices have gone up quite a bit since 2012 .

There are available , way more crap shingles on the market
than maybe ever before . Most shingle warranties are
worthless.
DIY installations are sketchy at best , one bad flashing ,
A high nail , wrong underlay .....it's all for not .

I have been involved in slope roofing for almost twenty
Years . I have no idea why there has been so much
extreme weather in the south the last five years . There
Are a number of so called 30 yr. shingles only lasting
2-3 years . If you are going to do your own roof check
with your insurance company , some of them have lumped
roofing in with doing your own electrical . Bad idea .

Always glad to help ..Nik
Old 08-24-2017, 02:51 PM

Approx 5 G's for a 1200 Sq ft house last year.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:58 PM

Our roof is 3100sq feet. Contractors are supposed to shingle it next week. Quoted us $8300.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Banned

Like everything else it depends on who does it, and what you use.
Big shoutout to fellow AO member Wildwoods who hooked me up with a fellow who came and did my garage shingles this week. Did an excellent job and saved me a lot of money. PM me for ph#.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 PM

Just had mine done up here in fort mac this spring, I believe they used about 80 bundles to shingle the roof. And a few peaks valleys . He used the iko Cambridge shingles ,put in new vent tops and fancy looking whirly birds and a safety anchor and all the water and ice shield. $8200 tax in

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 PM

AOF always comes though! Thank you, all!

Reason I ask is because there are a lots of houses in my area having the shingles replaced. After that wind storm we had in Red Deer I counted eight houses within eyeshot from my house that had shingles ripped off.

My shingles made it but with these storms year after year becoming more intense I figure my roof has one more year and I best replace it. It lost much of those little pebbles on the shingles from the hail storms this year. And they're turning a lighter touch of grey from original very dark grey.

I'm the second owner of the house. Built in 2006 but I'm positive seller said shingles replaced in 2010. Will have to dig out papers. Regardless, my shingles are near done, so I need to start saving. Looks like I better aim for $10K to be on the safe side. Ouch. Way she goes, I guess.

Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:32 AM

Just had my roof done by a contractor. 68 bundles of shingles, He priced as he would a builder. $5100 including gst. Other wise it would have been $6500. House and 24 X 24 detached garage. One bundle does 33.3 sq ft. Measure your roof area and figure out how many bundles of shingles , that should give you an idea of the cost.
With your description I would guess about $10 K

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:11 PM

I just Google Earth measured my roof and I got 2360sq/ft.

The slope isn't very steep. And in the back there is a shingled hangover that runs the entire width of the house over the doors and windows. More than I estimated. Ugh. I might have to sell a nad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2360sqftroof.jpg (11.6 KB, 29 views)