Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Default Obed Lake

Hi crew im looking to launch a boat @ Obed lake on Friday.But dont have confermation if the ice has gone away from the boat launch? was there a couple weeks back and south side of lake had 2+inches of ice any could confirm open water?
Thanks
Red Neck Out
Old 11-09-2016, 12:01 PM

I'm working on the Emerson straight north of Obed and I'm sure there is little to no ice left as it blew hard yesterday and was +10°C and didn't get below +7°C last night.
Someone might be able to weigh in with actual visuals but it is warm up here and I doubt the ice stuck around.

RJ
Old 11-09-2016, 02:34 PM

Thanks thats a good start i want to go bad but the ice at the boat launch is the problem for me.
Thanks Again
Old 11-09-2016, 03:32 PM

I was buy there on sunday afternoon. Looked mostly open too from the highway views.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:51 PM

Buddy was out tonight, had no problems. I would check to wind forecast first.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks thats great info so far so good
Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 PM

anyone fish Obed lately? I've never fished it so are the fish biting there and are there any problem areas a person should be aware of and stay away from?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 AM

One of the hardest lakes to fish in the area I've heard it's next to impossible to catch the Browns through the ice , if ur going for perch then I'm not too sure but the only deep part of the whole lakes is a trench running through the middle you can see it easily from google earth position yourself on the edge of that trench using ur phone when ur out there would think that be a good spot.good luck if you go lets us know how you make out if you do there's probable
Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM

I never did get the boat in lake last fall,only busted the tail lights off trailer
I would love to hear how the access and ice is if you head out? Fishing report would also be great or a PM if you perfer
Red Neck Out
Old 01-12-2017, 06:31 PM

so does any know of hazards like springs etc one should be aware of?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
so does any know of hazards like springs etc one should be aware of?
Not that I know of.

Good luck catching anything , she is a tough lake in the summer and darn near impossible in the winter. Think I have tried ice fishing it at least a half dozen times without catching even a single brown... I have since gave up, there are better lakes to spend my time at in the winter.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:46 PM

I have been out to Obed twice so far this year. Haven't been there since just before Xmas though and the ice was 12". Should be much better now as we have been pretty cold in the area. The access was good. A few cars had driven on. Fishing was ... slow... didn't catch a single thing.. Seen some perch down the hole though, but to my defence my girls were with me and were have a blast skating on the lake. So I spent more time watching them then trying to fish. There was pretty much no snow on the lake when we were out last and the kids had run of nearly the entire lake. It was awesome.

I personally like to go straight out from the boat launch and head to the north east side (near where the stream is) but stay in the channel. Pop a few holes and wait.. lol. Those browns are hard to catch.

That said, I see lots of people fish the west side right near the end of the trench.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Ive never fished Obed but I'll share an experience fishing browns in a small stocked lake in southern manitoba. We got to this lake later morning and every "open spot " on lake was packed with fisherman bank fishing. This lake was small and about 75% of shoreline was heavily ringed in bullrushes. The only spot available too us was a small maybe 6 foot wide opening in rushes. Standing at waters edge fishing something tore thru water at our feet when we werent paying attention. Few minutes later it happened again. Third time I noted it was a large brown maybe 6 pounds tearing after minnows right in the bullrushes no more than a foot off shore. We had been casting and still fishing out in the deeper open water. We switched to a minnow on bare hook no weight and flicked into openings in bull rushes and slowly reeled minnow in. We could see our minnows just under surface. We caught for browns between 4 and 6 pounds in those bullrushes. Maybe try right off the bullrush line
gord
Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the info guys. gonna talk to my partner and see what he thinks. Saturday is the day we want to go out.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. gonna talk to my partner and see what he thinks. Saturday is the day we want to go out.
Make the drive east instead and come catch lakers with us.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:55 PM

Well Obed lake has a lot of hard packed snow on it, some areas you can see bare ice on and some have some real hard drifts. We set up by the channel and saw nothing. Moved over to the far shore where my partner got some perch last summer and saw.... nothing. Got stuck twice. Some areas had some over burden below the snow and on top of the ice. So we moved to Minnow lake. Few guys there catching the odd jack. Snow was a lot softer and not as deep but getting there in spots. Again there was some overburden in a couple spots. Had 2 bites there but nothing up the hole. Very slow day but at least we got out and got some exercise shoveling snow. lol Like I couldn't have gotten that at home. But it was a great day overall regardless.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 AM

Yeah, I was wondering how it turned out. Did you guys use an under water cam at all? I was still thinking of hopping around at Obed with the cam. Even if I saw a brown it would be almost worth it.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:29 AM

no we never used an underwater cam. The water is so clear at Obed you can see the bottom clear as day in 15fow inside the tent.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Well Obed lake has a lot of hard packed snow on it, some areas you can see bare ice on and some have some real hard drifts. We set up by the channel and saw nothing. Moved over to the far shore where my partner got some perch last summer and saw.... nothing. Got stuck twice. Some areas had some over burden below the snow and on top of the ice. So we moved to Minnow lake. Few guys there catching the odd jack. Snow was a lot softer and not as deep but getting there in spots. Again there was some overburden in a couple spots. Had 2 bites there but nothing up the hole. Very slow day but at least we got out and got some exercise shoveling snow. lol Like I couldn't have gotten that at home. But it was a great day overall regardless.
Lol, that is Obed in the winter... I have well over 100 rod hours there and nothing to show for it...
Old 01-15-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Lol, that is Obed in the winter... I have well over 100 rod hours there and nothing to show for it...
Correction you have nothing, I myself have a 13 inch brown
Old 01-15-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
Correction you have nothing, I myself have a 13 inch brown
Not a correction, I was only including my rod hours... You have over 100 too for your one stupid little brown lol.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:31 AM

I live in Edson and fish Obed quite a bit in the summer, but just started fishing it hardwater this year. The local guys that fish the lake during the winter told me that during the hardwater season most fish in the lake stick to the trench, including the perch. Also it is illegal to use real minnows in this lake.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsonfisherman View Post
I live in Edson and fish Obed quite a bit in the summer, but just started fishing it hardwater this year. The local guys that fish the lake during the winter told me that during the hardwater season most fish in the lake stick to the trench, including the perch. Also it is illegal to use real minnows in this lake.
Yeah....thanks....