Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Fall whitefish thread!!!!

So as the leaves start to turn golden, and the days get shorter, and there is a cold crispness in the air, a young (fisher)man's thoughts will naturally turn to whitefish fishing....

(I'm too old for Frat Parties, you see).....

Anyways, thought i would start a Thread and see how everyone's efforts have been going.

It can't be all speckle55 hitting his honey holes in the Park. There are lots of whites out on the flatland as well, right?

Drewski
Old 09-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Are we talking Rockies or Lake whitefish?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Well .....

WHY NOT BOTH!!!

But really, what is driving me crazy is getting Lake Whitefish to bite.

All you need for Rockies (where allowed) is a nail, a dropper loop, a size 10 Royal coachman or Black Gnat, tipped with a maggot, and away you go! When the nail snags up, just break it off, and tie on another Nail.

Now for Whites, I have had good days in years past at the Trellis at Wabamum with a Kastmaster and a slip bober with short jigging action as it was reeled in.

Actually out fished the wire worms under a bober that so many others where using.

Drewski
Old 09-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Well .....

WHY NOT BOTH!!!

But really, what is driving me crazy is getting Lake Whitefish to bite.

All you need for Rockies (where allowed) is a nail, a dropper loop, a size 10 Royal coachman or Black Gnat, tipped with a maggot, and away you go! When the nail snags up, just break it off, and tie on another Nail.

Now for Whites, I have had good days in years past at the Trellis at Wabamum with a Kastmaster and a slip bober with short jigging action as it was reeled in.

Actually out fished the wire worms under a bober that so many others where using.

Drewski
Years past at Wabamun seems to be the operative now. Before THE SPILL, in the late fall the railroad trellis area was packed with fishers in boats and on the shore. I would "fly fish" with a floating line and wire worm (sweetened with a white maggot) and have tons of action for whitefish. Last fall saw nada and nobody goes there any more.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 PM

Sylvan - Sept 15th .... warm calm afternoon, nice fall colors, water still a bit too warm, a few small Whites roaming around the shallows.

D.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 AM

What info can you guy give on whites in the fall? How do I target them? Are they in different locations? Does water temp dropping bring them closer to shore ? Do they like big flat structures to spawn? I probably won’t get out till after archery season and I have already winterized the boat so I will be in a canoe so locations them on the Humminbird helix 10 is not an option in the canoe.
Thanks guys
Old 09-16-2019, 07:59 AM

Has anyone been on the McLeod for whites yet. Planning on another fin, feather, fur trip with my boys and my nephew this weekend. Nephew’s first year hunting so hopefully we find a few birds and whites. Bonus would be his first deer!

Thanks
Tony
Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM

OMG !!!!

can I go now ( now is the time )

memories pictures kiss the fish

Fly Rod /floating line/8# fluorocarbon 10' /indicator / Imitation Blood Worm

if you know where they are feeding .. watch for rising

I also like sight fishing if not in colored water

inlets to lakes /creeks coming in

4 to 8 fow works for me

twitch it in .. if wavy u can leave a bit longer

be ready at all times

Still water fishing at its best … thanks Shane

fun fun fun

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10661794_10152276498640776_4766519695335479696_o.jpg (99.5 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 10483815_10152276498890776_8029951694553013414_o.jpg (128.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 038.JPG (38.2 KB, 216 views)
Old 09-16-2019, 03:48 PM

I can tell you that all along in front of the town site at Calling Lake the locals have been netting whites in October in less than 10 FOW for years.

It was the old timers who put out a net, and not many of them do it any more.

But the whites will be there.

With a little luck, so will I!

Drewski
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 PM

These work .... 2" Mini Mr. Twister on a 1/32 oz head ... Mr. White inhales them, I was fishin 8-10 FOW over rock/sand/rubble bottom.

Get out & have some fun.

D.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 AM

Those Whites are the perfect size for the smoker, which is what my evil plan is!

Zip n Zee, did the depth you set the jig at matter at all?

I tried those jigs this spring at Calling after getting tired of walleye, and all I caught was .... MORE Walleye!

Hoping the whites moving onto the Spawning area will make it easier to target the whites this fall!

Drewski
Old 09-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Drewski
Mr. D.C. .... as mentioned I was fishing in 8-10 fow, in my float tube, the technique I used was fan cast in each direction say 35-40 feet, let the jig float down pick up slack, jig & retrieve slowly back. Mr White normally inhales it on the drop to or near the bottom, if you can bounce it off the bottom in the sandy rock rubble that helps trigger a strike. They won't hit the jig below me they always pick-it up a distance away & when you feel them on you really need to set the hook, I loose more than I get in the net to light bites. Trust this helps.

Sept 17th ... went back out for a couple hours this afternoon,only had one White hit my jig but lost it on the surface. I still think it's a bit too warm & they're not moving around in the shallows. Ended up finishing the afternoon fishin in 3-4 fow near shore with lots of rocks & gravel near a weed bed, found some active Walleye and a bunch of small Pike but no Whites. Plan on going back to Sunbreaker area on my next trip out.

A few pic's from today .... enjoy.

David

Another nice & calm day on Sylvan with no crazy's in monster boats ... bonus.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:02 PM

Well one thing for sure, the water clarity looks excellent!!!

Reason I ask about depth is I have tried your lure under a slip bobber and it did work great, just for the wrong fish!!

Nice part of a slip bobber is you can add some split shots and get longer casts. You can also do a vertical jigging with short pulls and then let it suspend there.

I may be able to give it a try this weekend again. A Neighbour from the City was still catching walleye this morning at Calling. He didn't care to try for whites from my understanding of what he was saying.

Drewski
Old 09-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Hey Drewski don't overthink those whites. If you know where they are just anchor up. Even pound the bottom a few times with the anchor. Then proceed to try every bloody hook and color combination. Maybe it's an oddball spoon like the cheap thin ones you see in the gas station, green with some diamonds on it. Pink and white clown pattern. Plain silver brass or copper. Maybe a big spoon like the ruby eyed wiggler with beads wired into the body. Maybe it's the blue fox pixxee with the plastic gob of eggs in orange or pink or some dang thing. If they aren't wire worm whites and I don't think they are, forget the finesse. Maybe a number five lennie Thompson. Try EVERYTHING. If you got em in ten feet or less that's half the battle, any hook that they like you will see them interested. Forget the bait, fish aggressive, they are fast and have excellent eyesight. Find that magic hook and you will own them. I've seen them hammer big wetaskiwins like a jackfish but refuse every manner of wire worm or finesse riggins. Good luck buddy.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:43 AM

What time of the year during open water season do you think the water is the clearest. I was out there in early summer and it was not to good.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:03 AM

Raw Outdoors,

Water will be clearest at ice off.

From the pictures the water at Sylvan is very clear if I can see rocks that far out!

As for fall, if it was a heavy algae summer, when the lake "turns over" it tends to bring up all the algae that has settled on the bottom and the water will turn murky.

We are far from the point where the top of the water column cools quickly and then drops to the bottom forcing the warmer water below up to the top.

Drewski
Old 09-18-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Those Whites are the perfect size for the smoker, which is what my evil plan is!

I tried those jigs this spring at Calling after getting tired of walleye, and all I caught was .... MORE Walleye!

Hoping the whites moving onto the Spawning area will make it easier to target the whites this fall!

Drewski
We used to set them quite shallow starting at 2 feet below the bobber. Maybe you're going too deep?
Old 09-18-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Rocky Mtn Whitefish

I plan to head out on Saturday and fish the Red Deer below the dam for RMW's any tips on using a fly for these.

BW
Old 09-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Bigwoodsman,

Standard fare is a heavy, cheap, 4 inch nail (YES I SAID A NAIL!) Tie on the heaviest elastic band you can find, take the nail and loop the rubber band around it as many times as possible until tight up by the head of the nail. If you are lucky enough to have rubber surgical tubing, just stuff the nail into the tubing and tie onto the tubing.

About 18 inches up tie in a dropper loop and add about 8 inches of leader material. Tie on a Royal Coachman / Black Gnat / Mosquito pattern size 10, and put on a couple of maggots or a salmon egg.

Cast upstream and bounce through the current. If you hang up, just pull and the nail will release and you will not lose the flies.

Most times nails slide through the rocks very easily and are cheap enough that it does not matter if you lose a few on the rocks.

On the coast they use pencil lead, but that stuff is hard to find around here, and nails are more biodegradable anyway.

Good luck!

Drewski
Old 09-18-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Bigwoodsman,

Standard fare is a heavy, cheap, 4 inch nail (YES I SAID A NAIL!) Tie on the heaviest elastic band you can find, take the nail and loop the rubber band around it as many times as possible until tight up by the head of the nail. If you are lucky enough to have rubber surgical tubing, just stuff the nail into the tubing and tie onto the tubing.

About 18 inches up tie in a dropper loop and add about 8 inches of leader material. Tie on a Royal Coachman / Black Gnat / Mosquito pattern size 10, and put on a couple of maggots or a salmon egg.

Cast upstream and bounce through the current. If you hang up, just pull and the nail will release and you will not lose the flies.

Most times nails slide through the rocks very easily and are cheap enough that it does not matter if you lose a few on the rocks.

On the coast they use pencil lead, but that stuff is hard to find around here, and nails are more biodegradable anyway.

Good luck!

Drewski

Drewski
Thanks for this awesome tip and explanation. I will let you know how we make out.

BW
Old 09-20-2019, 09:55 AM

The picture does not do this Rockie justice. This bad boy was caught a couple weeks ago out of the Oldman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_5594(1)111.jpg (58.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 10:01 AM

That's the fattest Rocky I've ever seen, nice catch!
Old 09-20-2019, 06:38 PM

Anyone fish the McLeod the last couple of weeks? Looking for river conditions as we are heading out Sunday.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Sylvan - Sept 22nd – Was nice to see the local farmers out on their fields, crops look good. Drove out to Sunbreaker Cove – lots of boaters out it was a Bty calm day, +25C, caught a bunch of aggressive Walleye & a couple small Pike in the same spot Scott & I did very well at in the spring. Only hooked one small White and lost it on the surface, it wasn’t a good day for me & Whites. When I got back to the dock there was a Sylvan Bylaw Officer speaking to a fellow who was cleaning up a bunch of Whites, turned out to be Mr. Happyfisher, first time we met, we had a nice visit. Looks like the weather is going to turn, rain & snow on the way.

A few pic’s from today …. Enjoy.

D.

Harvest has started.

Fall Colors on Bright Sunny Day

Boat Launch was Busy Today

Lots of Small Walleye loved my Mr. Twister.

Couple of Skinny Pike

Old 09-25-2019, 09:19 PM

yea.....i can catch whites now....learned from bwack...zip...andy and others i have met in person. It was funny i recognized Zip belly boat and put 1 and 1 togeather.....Zip got skunked with whites. Looks like the apprentice has become the master. Im no longer a padawan.....

zip...lets head out to the lighthouse one day!!!!this weekend sucks...but im ready when its nice out!!!

happy

ps...i caught my whites in 20+ FOW...another AO member caught his in 30 + FOW....so ....i dunno...will they go shallow soon?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
yea.....i can catch whites now....learned from bwack...zip...andy and others i have met in person. It was funny i recognized Zip belly boat and put 1 and 1 togeather.....Zip got skunked with whites. Looks like the apprentice has become the master. Im no longer a padawan.....

happy
For a guy who called me "Sir" at least 4 times in our short visit .. why do I feel like I took a cheep shot from a padawan learner ?

Go forward apprentice and make the Jedi Master's .... AKA .... Sir Bwack, Sir Z-z & Sir Snapfisher proud and honor the code of assisting other A/O members with your newly acquired knowledge.

That said .... snow & cold is on the way for the weekend, the Sylvan Marina is quickly clearing out, this will bring the Whites into the shallows.

Cheers,

David

Pic taken ... Thursday Sept 26th ...

Old 09-26-2019, 10:16 PM

i was being respectful to my fishing master by calling you sir.
i always rub it in if given the opportunity. Its my dark side...

ill help any AO member anytime master Zip....

you may now address me as darth fishious

happy
Old 09-27-2019, 07:36 AM

Nice work gents!

Happy, good to hear you are on them. I haven't been yet but I sounds like the shallows are not great yet. I'm betting some of these below zero temps will change that. -9 wind chill at Sylvan this weekend.... I'll wimp out and wait until it warms up a bit.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Sylvan - Sept 27th .... +2C ... Wind NNE 17 gust 29 km/h not even darth fishious would be on the water chasing Whites today, the lake temp is cooling down.

A few pic's taken at noon.

D.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Last Saturday I journey to the tail waters below Dixon Dam, managed a handful of RMW's some pushing the 30CM mark and two small Brown trout with the fly rod. I was rigged with a bead head nymph tipped with maggots and a two split shot dropper.

BW