Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2022, 11:18 AM

Default End of august booked for Port hardy

I was wondering if anyone has fished Port Hardy end of August? What was running? Limits of fish then? I heard it might be a big year for sockeyes? Not sure when sockeyes run or how they are caught? Have 2 days booked last weekend of August really looking forward to it. Accomodations for 3 nights if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks
Old 01-07-2022, 11:34 AM

Should be some big Springs still around and the Coho fishing should be ramping up for some northerners. Even if it is a good Sockeye year they will be done at that point. Bottom fishing is always good up there.

Who are you going with?
Old 01-07-2022, 01:08 PM

I am going with Wade. If the bottom fishing is good that is the main thing. I have always done well and caught salmon. I have never really had any great bottom fishing.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:47 PM

I was there last July and we didn’t have to try too hard to get into great Ling and Hali fishing but we also had almost no wind at the time. It was also our first time fishing out of Hardy and we were self-guided.

Salmon can be hit or miss at times but the bottom fishing is pretty much always good. Getting out where it’s consistently good Hali fishing can be weather dependant but there is great Ling fishing in fairly protected waters.

If you’re going with a guide it should be a great time. Bring lots of coolers.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the reports. I am planning on bringing a freezer and genny. How far out you go for the Hali's outa Hardy? A guide is just much easier especially with the family going. I booked that time thinking it should be good for Coho and be fun fish to catch for the wife and kids. you also recall the limits for salmon, lings and hali's. Be 4 of us. I think its 4 salmon each ? Thanks
Old 01-08-2022, 08:08 AM

The guide will know the spots and what are there for salmon runs at the time. Total limits are 4 salmon per person with 2 day posession limit, but this early it is hard to know what limits will be on springs and coho. Last couple years by late August you could keep 2 springs each but it is never certain until you see the fisheries notices in Julyish.... With the floods I'm not convinced there won't be more restrictions this year. Coho are often hatchery only by then except in specific areas but your guide may be able to get you to the areas wild are open.

Amazing area. Regardless of the catch it is a trip worth doing for the experience. Dress warm for the mornings, they can be chilly!

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2022, 08:18 AM

Should mention out of Hardy you can run north to area 11 that often have more generous limits on a lot of fish. Your guide will know if it is worth doing so.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2022, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the great info yes Hardy has been on the bucket list for sometime. Not sure on how far the guides go I know Sarangeti goes out pretty far I hear. Yes 4 salmon each for the 2 days would be more then great and some bottom fish a bonus. Ive never seemed to ever have any luck with bottom fish hence why I booked Hardy this year. Other areas Sooke- Tofino never had any luck. Great Salmon their though.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Should mention out of Hardy you can run north to area 11 that often have more generous limits on a lot of fish. Your guide will know if it is worth doing so.
I agree. There are times when fish are holding on the inside and times when you need to run to the north end to get into some good fishing. The OP’s guide will know for sure. When we were there last July we never saw a legal spring caught on the inside and all the guides were running to area 11. We ran up just over the border and had great fishing for Chinook with a few coho thrown in. In decent weather it’s not that bad a run.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:38 AM

How far is it ? An hour? We will be in a 26 foot grady white. Be happy with some really good Coho fishing and the odd spring thrown in would be a bonus. Why I booked late in August. Of course getting a hali each and some ling would make it a perfect trip. Weather is usually pretty stable that time of year. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:50 AM

We stayed at Duval Point lodge and the run for us in a 16’ welded aluminum boat with an anemic 30hp Yamaha on it was 1 hour to the boundary at the north end of Hope Island. There were very few boats out where we were at and the guides were all heading west once they hit the end of the channel. It was too far in open water for us to follow them in the crappy boats Duval has. If we hadn’t brought our own safety gear like a hand held vhf, 2 separate gps units and a SPOT we wouldn’t have gone with what Duval provided because the boats are sketchy. When I say sketchy, every boat they have is in some form of disrepair. We spent 6 hours our first morning actually at the dock trying to put one boat together that was somewhat reliable. As it was, we watched the weather channel constantly and we’re prepared to head back at the first sign of any wind. We had 2 days out there though where it was flat calm with no wind. In a 26’ Grady you’ll have no concerns even if the wind comes up.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
How far is it ? An hour? We will be in a 26 foot grady white. Be happy with some really good Coho fishing and the odd spring thrown in would be a bonus. Why I booked late in August. Of course getting a hali each and some ling would make it a perfect trip. Weather is usually pretty stable that time of year. Thanks for your input.
Depends on where they are headed. I'm going to guess likely just past Bramham and Fox Islands to the North. Just a guess though. So 40-45 mins is what I've experienced depending on weather. Do you know who your guide is with Bear Cove?
Old 01-11-2022, 12:45 PM

The owner Wade I think his name is. He was recommmeded by another AO member. Just hoping to hit the coho's at the end of August...?
Old 01-11-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
The owner Wade I think his name is. He was recommmeded by another AO member. Just hoping to hit the coho's at the end of August...?
I think that was me who recommended

If you get Wade that would be cool. He is an exceptional guide. Set your expectation at maybe though as he is usually booked up. I went with a guide working for him 2 years in a row.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:37 PM
AO Sponsor

I think Toby will still be there Snap, as he has been for 3 years in a row, but in this industry ya never know!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 01-12-2022, 07:22 AM

Sounds like either one will be top notch. Its nice to see everyone gets along there out of the top guides. I booked a few weeks back and hardly any availability just shows obviously how good it really is. Hopefully the end of August will be a good time to go ? Hope I didnt crap the bed on the timing???
Old 01-12-2022, 09:50 AM

If you go with a good outfit in my mind there is probably no better place to go on the coast for consistently good fishing for a verity of species and a great chance at getting a Tyee.

I used to launch in Hardy every year and make the run up to Rivers Inlet for a week fishing. Rivers was good for big fish and that is why we went there but it can be really slow at times. I used to fish probably 50 days a year when living in Campbell River and towed all over the west and north west side of the Island. We caught a pile of fish up to the mid forties so that is why we headed to Rivers every year because your chance at catching one well over 50lbs was pretty good. You didn’t go there for numbers but big fish.

Hardy is the best of both worlds in my mind and now that my fishing is limited to a couple trips a year it’s where I’ll be spending a lot of my time. Fishing is a lot more consistent than pretty much anywhere else. Great Chinook fishing for most the summer, fantastic Coho fishing when runs are going through and the bottom fishing is always good. It won’t have the shear numbers of really big Springs that Rivers is known for but your chance of catching a Tyee is really good and the odd monster over 60lbs like the one Seregeti caught a couple years back are in the area.

Have fun and post up some pics!
Old 01-12-2022, 11:03 AM

Thanks Posi sounds like I made the right decision. Rupert has been hit and miss also so thinking Hardy would be a the good choice !!!!
Old 01-13-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
I think Toby will still be there Snap, as he has been for 3 years in a row, but in this industry ya never know!
Yeah for sure. He wasn't never fond of bottom fishing either

I'm heading to Nootka Sound 2022. Should be an interesting new adventure.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:47 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

Yeah don't hear him on the radio going for bottom dwellers too much lol
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 01-13-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

I’ve been fishing Nootka since the late 80’s and guided there in the late 90’s for a month in peak season each year for quite a few years. 2019 will be my last trip to Nootka. Most all of the fish on the inside are a hatchery run with the average sized Chinook being in the 18-22lb range at best. Most don’t fight that well and even a fresh Spring is not a bright chromer. It’s been going down hill for a long time now. I know a couple guys that still guide there and they can go a whole season without catching a single Spring that weighs an honest 30lbs. Bottom fishing on the outside can still be ok but it certainly isn’t what it used to be either. If you head way off shore you can hit other runs going by and possibly get into a decent Spring or some Coho but that’s weather dependant.

If you don’t have your heart set on Nootka I’d spend my money elsewhere. I could go for gas money each year but with limited time off each summer I’d rather go where it cost me more but the fishing is better. Sorry if I sound like a Debbie-Downer but it really is a shame how a once fantastic fishery is just a mere shadow of its former self.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks Posi sounds like I made the right decision. Rupert has been hit and miss also so thinking Hardy would be a the good choice !!!!
I'd definitely agree the Salmon being hit or miss the last few years, but bottom fishing is second to none. The ling fishing seems better every time we go and halibut are easy to come by.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’ve been fishing Nootka since the late 80’s and guided there in the late 90’s for a month in peak season each year for quite a few years. 2019 will be my last trip to Nootka. Most all of the fish on the inside are a hatchery run with the average sized Chinook being in the 18-22lb range at best. Most don’t fight that well and even a fresh Spring is not a bright chromer. It’s been going down hill for a long time now. I know a couple guys that still guide there and they can go a whole season without catching a single Spring that weighs an honest 30lbs. Bottom fishing on the outside can still be ok but it certainly isn’t what it used to be either. If you head way off shore you can hit other runs going by and possibly get into a decent Spring or some Coho but that’s weather dependant.

If you don’t have your heart set on Nootka I’d spend my money elsewhere. I could go for gas money each year but with limited time off each summer I’d rather go where it cost me more but the fishing is better. Sorry if I sound like a Debbie-Downer but it really is a shame how a once fantastic fishery is just a mere shadow of its former self.
No, all good. I appreciate it for sure. This is all about exploring around the island. Never been so on the list for sure. Also the wife is coming along and inside passage fishing will be better suited for her. If fishing is tough, so be it. Also doesn`t mean I wouldn`t go back if it is tough. As I find places that are better for the weather and the two of us that has good fly fishing to boot, then the rest is not that important. But of course I wouldn`t cry about getting a tyee. 3 times I`ve hit 29.5...really good enough anyways....but annoying at the same time .... I mean cmon! 3 times!

And, I`m now very close to North island river fly fishing for salmon for the rest of the trip
Old 01-20-2022, 02:53 PM

You can keep wilds? hatchery's ?. Typically are the hos in end of August?