Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-12-2020, 04:19 PM

I'm a little late, but I would take a .311 or .312 bullet from the .303 British.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
If choosing only one, it would be the entire combination of cartridge, platform and optic. After owning and building way too many rifles, my main rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight, 270WSM, topped with a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 BRX launching 140 and 150 grain loads. Light enough to be a pleasure to carry, heavy enough to be a pleasure to shoot, phenomenal accuracy with anything I run through the barrel, and a fast and flat shooting cartridge that has the reach and thump to take on any game species. I find it amazing that after using extreme lightweights, long range rigs, tactical rifles, custom builds, and spending way too much money over the years, that my mainstay came straight off the shelf.
I can relate, i look back on a tikka t3 lite stainless .270 i built in talleys with a 3-9x33 leupold ultralite with a standard 7/8" target knob and kenton speed dial turret to match. 7 lbs all up, 22" barrel meant it wasn't too long. 5 shot groups 3/4 moa no sweat with factory fusions. That was one smart rifle you could do everything with and handled awesome and shot awesome in field conditions.

I built a .270 wsm on a sako a7 stainless after thinking it would be that much better. It too was incredible. But now...i'd do that a7 in a creedmoor, vx3i 3.5-10x40 cds-zl in talleys and be done as a one and done and not get the recoil of the other two.

Then...i built a dream. A blaser k95 single shot .270. Hands down my flagship rifle in performance and prestige. It takes down to 24", it holds zero and shoots lights on fire to 600 yards with factory ammo, weighs less than 7 lbs all up, will do moa groups at 350 yards with complete take down for every shot including the scope off. It has never had one flier, or one questionable shot, it has never shifted zero.

As i've gone even further in this and realizing i'll likely not hunt outside of alberta, or at least western canada, nor do i intend to shoot much class 3 game past 300 yards and class 2 game past about 450, i've really made a shift. Now my favorite cartridge is 6.5 Grendel and currently running a ruger american ranch and the only thing missing is stainless construction, but i'm pretty well over that detail.

We are to the point where i'm even considering my blaser k95 might have to go up for sale since it's unlikely to head afield again. It's still a cringe worthy thought in my mind at this point as it is for sure the ultimate firearm i've ever built, 5 shot, 3/4 moa, full take down, ultralight, handles recoil unbelievably and the quality/feel/fit and finish is outstanding. It runs a custom leupold 2.5-8 vx3 with lr-duplex reticle and zero at 250, 140gr accubonds around 2950, the first hash down from zero is 350 yards, 2nd hash lands at 450 and where post thickens back up is 550 yards (on 8x). It just lives on 8x as not really my coyote calling rig, more of a big game only rig. To throw in the pack with everything else is awesome where you have to cross some boundaries that require encased/unloaded etc. Anyway, i know a guy who's had a keen eye for this one since i got it...might be time to pass along the message. The prices of these things sure do hold up, and keep going up.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:35 AM

6mm Arc

https://www.hornady.com/6mmarc#!/

So delicious... so tasty...
Old 06-16-2020, 01:31 PM

308 cheap ammo great round
Old 06-16-2020, 08:35 PM

7 mm RM . .308 a second choice