Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 04:50 PM

Default First bow $$ expectations

Hey!

So my wife and i just got back from Mexico. While we were there we tried shooting re curve bows and my wife loved it! I love to hunt but have only been doing so for five years now, but my intentions were to always buy a compound once i felt i was ready for the next challenge.
BUT, all that aside, i see an opportunity here! I am thinking about buying my wife a re curve for her birthday in April, my hopes are, she continues to enjoy it and archery could possibly be something we are able to do together as a family. I will likely be going to Jim Bows, and or Accurate Archery (I live in Spruce Grove) as i have heard excellent things about both places, i just wanted to see what everyone's opinion on, brands, styles and prices as both websites do not list anything.

Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks in advance for the replies!
Old 02-01-2020, 05:21 PM

Buy a lightly used one there's lots of them online you can do all your research and then buy a used bow would be my opinion. I just sold a left-handed one this summer for3 hundred bucks everything included sites arrows bow slings bow case releases the whole shebang new strings ready to rock and roll there's lots of deals like that out there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2020, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Buy a lightly used one there's lots of them online you can do all your research and then buy a used bow would be my opinion. I just sold a left-handed one this summer for3 hundred bucks everything included sites arrows bow slings bow case releases the whole shebang new strings ready to rock and roll there's lots of deals like that out there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
My son started out with a OMP https://www.octobermountainproducts/ for about $200. Great starter bow.
Once he honed his skills he upgraded to a longbow https://strikerbows.com/product/stri...piece-longbow/. First for $800. So a pretty big price range.
But for the price the OMP was a damn fine bow.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:19 PM

Contact pete ward he’s got some dandies for sale
Old 02-01-2020, 09:43 PM

Id never buy new. Too many great deals out there.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:14 PM

I only bought my first bow last fall, but I would agree with others about going the “not new” route. This also includes last or the year before that new bows that sometimes can be had for 1/3 - 1/2 the price of their retail sticker. I paid just over 1/3 of the store sticker price for mine (new bow). I bought it on eBay from the US (make sure the bow is shipped via USPS if you decide to go that route).

I don’t have enough experience to comment on brands and whatnot, but get what fits you and feels best. I went with Elite.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:32 PM

I'm all for buying from local bowyers. But for just trying it out I would look at the black hunter bows they are a take down and you can get it with recurve or long bow limbs they sell for about 150.00 the reviews on many trad sites are very positive especially for the price.
Brad
Old 02-02-2020, 12:21 AM

I read the reply above and then reread the original post. Disregard my post above because I now see you were asking about recurve bows and not the compounds. I know little about those as far brands and pricing goes and was talking about compound bows. Sorry.