Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM

Default Do tagged fish count against your possesion limit?

Just curious if I filled my walleye tags (3) in one day can I keep more walleye on another open lake either that same day or on another?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM

I don't think the tags increase the provincial possession limit. You might want to call Srd to be sure but as I read it your only allowed three walleye total.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM

Excellent question.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Default of course they do

It doesn't matter if your filling tags or fishing a lake that does not require tags any fish that you have killed counts against you daily limit/possation
Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM

that is a good question....ive only ever made quick trips to fill tags and always ate the fish that same day.

tagged for interest.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
that is a good question....ive only ever made quick trips to fill tags and always ate the fish that same day.

tagged for interest.
Same here but I was just thinking about it.

Since there is no possesion limit listed under the tag lakes and you bought the tags would it not be the same as commercially caught fish?

Its not a problem I have ran into but was just considering with the late season push to fill tags if I was at another lake fishing and picked up a single walleye could I stop at my tag lake and pick up my alotted fish that I paid for?

Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
pick up my alotted fish that I paid for?

Mike
....I thought you only pick up fish you paid for at the store?

LC
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
....I thought you only pick up fish you paid for at the store?

LC
Always one in the crowd.....precious
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM

See page 18.

In the regs boys

Max. possession
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM

Should have just posted "read the regs"
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Should have just posted "read the regs"
Thanks I see this now and it is pretty clearly defined!!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 PM

Default 3 means 3

Tagged fish count against your pocession limit. If you have three walleye from last fishing season in the freezer and this year's tags in your pocket then you'd better have Walleye for dinner, otherwise your going to be over the limit. And commercially caught fish are netted your angling unless you have a commercial liciense for netting. So you are allow without tags two walleye in the slot size at Calling Lake and 1 over 50cm at Rock Island just up the road from Calling. But if you go home and dump those three in freezer and the next day go to Pigeon and tag your 3, then your over the limit.

Again all in the regs.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

So just for the reccord we are all in agreement that you can keep fish from different bodies of water untill your daily limit is filled? For instance I could keep one from Slave lake, one frome the Slave river, and then go up to Utikima and keep one more for a total of three fish despite each of theise body's having a one fish limit?

To my understanding there is nothing illegal about doing this, just checking if the AO ethics police are on the same page befor I post pictures from some epic Walleye safari's and get into a bunch of pointless arguments.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
So just for the reccord we are all in agreement that you can keep fish from different bodies of water untill your daily limit is filled? For instance I could keep one from Slave lake, one frome the Slave river, and then go up to Utikima and keep one more for a total of three fish despite each of theise body's having a one fish limit?

To my understanding there is nothing illegal about doing this, just checking if the AO ethics police are on the same page befor I post pictures from some epic Walleye safari's and get into a bunch of pointless arguments.
Sounds about right..
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Of course, that is why they have lake specific and overall daily catch limits.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Banned

OK, some epic walleye safari's coming up this summer! With all the questions about places to fish from shore I've been thinking of doing a shore fishing safari, fishing hard from shore one weekend and posting pictures of the results. See if I can put togeather a walleye limit plus some pike, goldeye, and trout just to prove how easily it can be done.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
OK, some epic walleye safari's coming up this summer! With all the questions about places to fish from shore I've been thinking of doing a shore fishing safari, fishing hard from shore one weekend and posting pictures of the results. See if I can put togeather a walleye limit plus some pike, goldeye, and trout just to prove how easily it can be done.
Wow I need to go fishing with you, I just started fishing last year but I hardly ever catch anything.

I look forward to the pics.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Id be willing to put my money on tags or not those fish go to your provincial limit in your possession after all the regulations state revert to these limits if lake or water body isnt list ( or something to that tune ) .