Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-29-2021, 08:49 AM

Normally, when someone does an augmentation they go bigger, not smaller....

But hey, if you like smaller knockers, the customer is always right.

Yes, those are nice knockers.

Drewski
Old 01-29-2021, 08:51 AM

Then again, I appreciate that sometimes going bigger will cause shoulder problems.

I better stop. I could keep going with this all day long!!

Drewski
Old 01-29-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Have you ever tried seating the Barnes really, really deep in the case? It has worked for some. Worth a try. Good luck.
Haven’t ever heard of that, but that’s an easy enough thing to try. Any ideas how far in?
Old 01-29-2021, 07:42 PM
Banned

Try one of the berger seating depth tests
You should find something to work with
Old 01-29-2021, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Now Mark you know that's not true, stinky say's a light slow match bullet with a high SD out of a 6.5 grendel is more than adequate for anything that walks in North America

Sorry just couldn't resist it, I know
Lol
Ya I get a kick out of it
A light for caliber bullet, isn’t going to be a high sd bullet
Someone should tell him that lol

And shooting a low sd match bullet at any speed, is going to have a very high chance of a failure on game.

Who would have thought that??
Oh wait, like 95% of us 🤷*♂️
Old 01-29-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
Haven’t ever heard of that, but that’s an easy enough thing to try. Any ideas how far in?
All of the rifles I have loaded with Barnes bullets are seated deep
I start at the top of the first driving band ( the one closest to the tip)
And go out from there .
I have yet to hit the bottom of the first driving band , be it with a .311 150TSX
Or a 6.5 130 grain, or 130 grain TTSX in three different rifles or a 7mm 140 grain TTSX!
All the rifles are running 5 shots into 1 1/2 MOA or better at 200 meters and only one has A new barrel on it . Most of them can do 1 MOA or better at 200
Cat
Old 01-29-2021, 09:00 PM
Banned

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/...elopment-tips/

Some really good info here if you reload

If your shooting box ammo still. Well I guess you can keep dreaming of magically high sd bullets.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

If your shooting box ammo still. Well I guess you can keep dreaming of magically high sd bullets.
Good read, thanks.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Ok thanks for posting this. Very interesting read...although it seems on the surface to be counter intuitive the logic and results are clear. ( Might even be more important than SD! Btw, I shoot high SD: 250 grain 338 bullets at 2950. It's not a Grendel but still flattens big critters.)

Last edited by brewster29; 02-01-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Ok thanks for posting this. Very interesting read...although it seems on the surface to be counter intuitive the logic and results are clear. ( Might even be more important than SD! Btw, I shoot high SD: 250 grain 338 bullets at 2950. It's not a Grendel but still flattens big critters.)
I agree. It’s something I’m definitely going to experiment with when I have a chance.

Lol my 338 rum shot 250gr accubonds at almost the same speed. It worked fantastic
Old 02-01-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
Have only tried 100gr plus so far but that’s a good thought, to try the lighter weights. And I’ll see if I can find the twist rate, but I haven’t had much success with that so far.
One of the weatherbys I had was very picky on how the action was torqued into the stock. If it was done incorrectly it was all over the place. I had to loosen off, remove action from stock, replace, making sure everything was lined up and in place, insert and get a couple threads started on each. Start on the front screw, as soon as it gets a tiny bit of tension stop, take the rear screw to the same place. Continue to alternate 3-4 times until they are snug.

Also had another one with very weighty trigger pull. Got that swapped out and groups were half the size.

Just some ideas for you.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I’ve got a 338 Imperial Magnum that shoots those same specs. That’s almost 5000 ft lbs!
Old 02-01-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
One of the weatherbys I had was very picky on how the action was torqued into the stock. If it was done incorrectly it was all over the place. I had to loosen off, remove action from stock, replace, making sure everything was lined up and in place, insert and get a couple threads started on each. Start on the front screw, as soon as it gets a tiny bit of tension stop, take the rear screw to the same place. Continue to alternate 3-4 times until they are snug.

Also had another one with very weighty trigger pull. Got that swapped out and groups were half the size.

Just some ideas for you.
I’ve already got the trigger set at around 2.5 lbs. Granted, it’s not a Tikka trigger, but it’s still pretty good. Learned that one when I first started on the accuracy treadmill. I might try to find an after market trigger, but they’re so pricy! Maybe Weatherby has an upgrade trigger for it, they’ve contracted a trigger company (can’t remember which right now) to supply all their new rifles, so they might have one for mine.

And I’ll sure try torquing the action screws. It’s got a nice bedding job, so there shouldn’t be any stock-torque in the rifle, but ya never know. Worth a try. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2021, 01:11 AM
Banned

Trigger tech is making triggers for the mark v’s now