Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-01-2020, 09:06 PM

Default In The Market For A New Bow

I got into archery hunting around 6 years ago and got setup with a Bowtech Assassin. I upgraded the rest and sight over that time and was able to harvest a couple animals. The bow has been good but I think it’s time to upgrade to a higher end bow.

What is everyone shooting? Sights, stabilizers, rests? Pros & cons? Thought I would check in here to give me a good starting point. Will likely get set up at Jim bows.

Thanks guys
Old 12-01-2020, 10:22 PM

There was very little to try but I narrowed it down to a Prime black 3 and a bowtech revolt x. I chose the black 3 because of the smooth draw cycle. Good luck and try out a lot of bows to find the one that feels best for you. The hardest part was remembering what the bows felt like.Maybe write the pros and cons on paper for reference.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:44 AM

For me, this is what I do. I have a specific set of specs that I use to narrow the list down. I like a 7"+ brace height, it adds forgiveness when shooting and gives you less chance of hitting bulking clothing on your arm in late season. I like an axel to axel of 30"-34", this is personal preference. I like a bow with a 70 lbs draw and need either a 29.5" draw or 30" draw.

From there, I find every bow that falls with in those specs and shoot it.

When I shoot it, I take notes on the following

-how is the draw cycle?
-how does it turn over into the valley?
-how deep is the valley?
-how solid is the back wall?
-how is the vibration on the shot?
-how steady is it when holding?
-how does the grip feel in my hand?

That is how I pick my bows. In the spring I did just this and narrowed it down to the Bowtech Revolt and the Mathews VSR 31. To me they shot almost identical so I ended up going with the Bowtech. With their deadloc cam system, I am able to tune it with out needed a bow press which was a huge win for me.

As far as accessories, I shoot the Black Gold Pure 75. I think the equivalent now is the Ascent Verdict or the Pro Sight. It has 5 fixed pins that are on a slider. So for hunting I have 20-60 but when I go to the total archery challenge, I can slide it so my 60 becomes 70 through 120. For the rest, I shoot the 5 arrow tight spot. It holds my arrows tight and mounts close to the bow. My rest is the QAD HDX, hasn't failed me yet and works well. Stabilizer is the Bee Stinger 8" hunter. I found it helped will for balancing the bow and killed the little vibration that was there. If I was to buy a new stabilizer, I would get the Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Counter Slide, it sits off to one side offsetting the quiver better and you can slide it forward or back to give you the perfect balance.

Hope I answered your questions
Old 12-03-2020, 05:59 PM

I really like my prime. Smooth good back wall👍
Old 12-04-2020, 06:53 AM

Go shoot some APAs if you’re able to, if you live too far from a dealer they will send you a bow to trial. Support local, if not now more than ever. They are awesome bows, amazing company with outstanding customer service. So why not try them out...
Old 12-04-2020, 09:36 AM

Hoyt, Prime, Elite, PSE, Matthews, Bowtech, probably can't go wrong with any, whatever fits your budget and feels good to you. If you go to Jimbow's they will push you to a bowtech..
Old 12-04-2020, 10:15 AM

Like Kyle said go in with set of specs you require and shoot all of them from there. For me, 30” draw, 70 lbs, split yokes were important and the bowtech Realm SR6 met what I wanted as a high end bow and gives me great efficiency and a nice back wall. Shoot bows before you buy, I live my SR6 and I can’t imagine getting a different bow for atleast the next half decade.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
For me, this is what I do. I have a specific set of specs that I use to narrow the list down. I like a 7"+ brace height, it adds forgiveness when shooting and gives you less chance of hitting bulking clothing on your arm in late season. I like an axel to axel of 30"-34", this is personal preference. I like a bow with a 70 lbs draw and need either a 29.5" draw or 30" draw.

From there, I find every bow that falls with in those specs and shoot it.

When I shoot it, I take notes on the following

-how is the draw cycle?
-how does it turn over into the valley?
-how deep is the valley?
-how solid is the back wall?
-how is the vibration on the shot?
-how steady is it when holding?
-how does the grip feel in my hand?

That is how I pick my bows. In the spring I did just this and narrowed it down to the Bowtech Revolt and the Mathews VSR 31. To me they shot almost identical so I ended up going with the Bowtech. With their deadloc cam system, I am able to tune it with out needed a bow press which was a huge win for me.

As far as accessories, I shoot the Black Gold Pure 75. I think the equivalent now is the Ascent Verdict or the Pro Sight. It has 5 fixed pins that are on a slider. So for hunting I have 20-60 but when I go to the total archery challenge, I can slide it so my 60 becomes 70 through 120. For the rest, I shoot the 5 arrow tight spot. It holds my arrows tight and mounts close to the bow. My rest is the QAD HDX, hasn't failed me yet and works well. Stabilizer is the Bee Stinger 8" hunter. I found it helped will for balancing the bow and killed the little vibration that was there. If I was to buy a new stabilizer, I would get the Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Counter Slide, it sits off to one side offsetting the quiver better and you can slide it forward or back to give you the perfect balance.

Hope I answered your questions
Thanks for all the info Kyle! The Revolt will definitely be one of the ones I try out.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:48 PM

Don't know if you do Facebook but this might interest. FYI, I do not know the guy

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5866...ser/508939496/