Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-02-2019, 06:13 PM

Default Hand Gun Valuation

I have a handgun that was handed down to me from my father and with the pending legislation I am thinking of selling it. It is a beautiful old 1972 Ruger single six .22 LR and it is in excellent condition with the original box and a cylinder for .22 mag.

I even have the original purchase documents and they are a wonderful reminder of life in a simpler time. I was hoping to keep it and hand it down to my nephews but it it looks like that likely wont be possible with bill C-71.

So with deep regret I am forced to sell this little piece of family history. I have no idea what its worth as I am not a handgun person. If anyone can help it will be appreciated.

I found this website out of the states but I dont know if Canadian prices would be similar?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...1308_p1_o6.cfm
Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 PM

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...rchid=45128789

Not sure if this link will work, but I did a quick search on the Canadian Gun Nutz forum and there are some postings about the Ruger Single 6 convertible. This is likely the best place to get an idea of Canadian values. Looks like people are asking 500-700.

I am not a handgun guy and know nothing about your gun, just like to see special bits of family history not get sold at fire sale values.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 PM

US prices and CDN prices aren't a good comparison, and the exchange rate makes it worse. I had a nice single six with both cylinders but no box and paperwork as you have. It was in very good condition, and I got $550 shipped for it a couple years ago. Prices lately seem pretty soft, but I suspect you should get $650-700 for it....really depends on if you find a buyer who appreciates the provenance and condition though. And, as a disclaimer, I have been wrong before, as my wife likes to remind me. I'd do a current search on CGN, I saw a couple for sale in the last few days, see what the market is doing. TC

Edit. And Matt beat me to it as I was typing...but looks like my pricing is ballpark!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 PM

I paid $700 for a new (from dealer) single six convertible / blued / plastic grips / 5.5” barrel / no rear sight ... about three years ago.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I paid $700 for a new (from dealer) single six convertible / blued / plastic grips / 5.5” barrel / no rear sight ... about three years ago.
It's true, a lot of the new guns are going for what 50 year old guns are going for (S&W particularly) but the old guns are also often of a higher quality fit and finish than a new gun. Just my own observation. Given a choice between a S&W 686 no dash, and a new Classic 686....I'd pay more for the old gun if it's in excellent shape, rather than the new one with the lock and MIM parts. Same with the single six.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-02-2019, 07:26 PM

I agree! with today's equipment & technology, they should be putting out excellent products! but are putting out worse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It's true, a lot of the new guns are going for what 50 year old guns are going for (S&W particularly) but the old guns are also often of a higher quality fit and finish than a new gun. Just my own observation. Given a choice between a S&W 686 no dash, and a new Classic 686....I'd pay more for the old gun if it's in excellent shape, rather than the new one with the lock and MIM parts. Same with the single six.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
I agree! with today's equipment & technology, they should be putting out excellent products! but are putting out worse
It's sort of hit and miss. I have one 'new' S&W, a model 63 (8 shot 22 LR, a J frame 'kit gun') and it's a really good shooting accurate gun, with a decent trigger. Decent is ok, but doesn't come anywhere near the triggers on any of my dozen old Smiths. And while the finish is good, like my newer Ruger GP100 it certainly isn't as nice as the old. Its a perfectly good functional gun, but if I let you shoot it side by side with my K22 Masterpiece (Model 17) you wouldn't have trouble picking which is superior.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Comparing a Ruger Single Six with a S&W M 17, even for market values are comparing two very different birds.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:25 AM

Default pistol

Sounds like a nice pistol with family connections....I wouldn't panic and sell yet. Wait and see what actually happens with c-71. Nothing might come of it especially with the election coming. If it does go bad, then there will be time to sell later.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Comparing a Ruger Single Six with a S&W M 17, even for market values are comparing two very different birds.
I wasn't comparing them. I was making the observation that older revolvers in my experience are better quality than newer. I used the S&W models as examples that I have more experience with, as I only had the Ruler single six, a Blackhawk flat top (that I shouldn't have sold!) And the GP100. Anyway, my observation stands.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 PM

Default Thank you

I want to thank you all for posting and appreciate the advice.