Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Default Changing my fly fishing attitude

So where did the whole fly fishing elitist attitude come from. I have always been fly fishing and spin fishing. Mostly fly though and without even realizing I’ve gotten caught up in the whole thing. Where I’m embarrassed to carry a spin rod when I walk past a fly fisherman. Also the whole a fish doesn’t count unless it was caught with a fly rod. Anyways I have spend this year spin fishing and only had the fly rod out a couple times. I have realized how much I have to learn with spin fishing and catching fish takes skill no matter the type of fishing you do. Also bait fishing. I have always looked at it as the least skilful way but have also learnt that there is so much more that goes into it than I thought. Basically all types of fishing can develop a heap of knowledge and skill or as little as one wants to learn. So this year I’ve been learning a lot and also changing my mindset towards all types of fishing. Also the more I learn from each style the more they help out with understanding fish and all of my methods of fishing getting better. Wanted to post on here just cuz there is a very strong elitist culture among fly fishers that I would like to see stop. If you keep your fishing style in a box you will only progress so far as an angler I think.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:32 PM

sometimes the water conditions tell you how you have to fish . I usually get to fly fish for goldeye in the Pembina now , but its chocolate brown and crazy high. So it's bait fish, go to a lake , or sit on the couch.

If we all agree that fishing is a great outdoors pursuit , then it doesn't matter which way you challenge yourself to catch a fish as long as it's legal to do ! Get out and enjoy !!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:37 PM

Sounds like someone has listen to the Meateater podcast with hank Paterson. Lol

I am in the mindset of what ever floats your boat and you enjoy. I personally don’t want to spin fish a river, would rather fly fish. On the other hand I would rather spin fish a lake then fly fish it.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
So where did the whole fly fishing elitist attitude come from. I have always been fly fishing and spin fishing. Mostly fly though and without even realizing I’ve gotten caught up in the whole thing. Where I’m embarrassed to carry a spin rod when I walk past a fly fisherman. Also the whole a fish doesn’t count unless it was caught with a fly rod. Anyways I have spend this year spin fishing and only had the fly rod out a couple times. I have realized how much I have to learn with spin fishing and catching fish takes skill no matter the type of fishing you do. Also bait fishing. I have always looked at it as the least skilful way but have also learnt that there is so much more that goes into it than I thought. Basically all types of fishing can develop a heap of knowledge and skill or as little as one wants to learn. So this year I’ve been learning a lot and also changing my mindset towards all types of fishing. Also the more I learn from each style the more they help out with understanding fish and all of my methods of fishing getting better. Wanted to post on here just cuz there is a very strong elitist culture among fly fishers that I would like to see stop. If you keep your fishing style in a box you will only progress so far as an angler I think.
Believe me, nobody really cares how a person legally fishes.

Most fly fishermen practice C and R and thus do the least harm to the fish. Gear fishing (especially bait fishing) usually means a dead fish.

Another plus for fly fishing is that I can't see myself ever putting a worm on a hook, casting it out, sticking the rod into the bank, sitting down and grunting once in awhile.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Believe me, nobody really cares how a person legally fishes.

Most fly fishermen practice C and R and thus do the least harm to the fish. Gear fishing (especially bait fishing) usually means a dead fish.

Another plus for fly fishing is that I can't see myself ever putting a worm on a hook, casting it out, sticking the rod into the bank, sitting down and grunting once in awhile.
That grunting takes skill and many years to perfect.

Like you I have no objection against bait, worms, etc. as long as it's legal and people adhere to limit rules. I have suspicions about a certain group of bait fishers at a lake I frequent (too much) but don't know how to proceed with a snoop. Maybe anchor just beyond their casting reach and watch them with binoculars, and then get back to my truck and find the tires slashed.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:12 PM

Wow....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-21-2019, 08:47 AM

Yep. For years all I did was fly fish but last year and this I’ve been going for pike and walleye a lot more with the open cast. Forgot how great it was. Also, lake fishing is a lot more kid friendly
Old 07-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Its asinine to assume because someone uses a spinning rod that he bait fishes.

I cant flyfish anymore due to medical reasons so have to satisfy myself with a spinning rod. I personally dont bait fish. I change all my lures to single hooks only.

I could stand beside any flyfisher and take fish off my hook with no mortality, fish for fish as much as any fly guy. And many spin fishers i know do the same. Most of the time i dont even touch the fish, releasing right in the water just like some note, i said some flyguys.

Heck ill even fish with a flyguy sometimes.

Last edited by cranky; 07-21-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:12 AM

I didn’t realize this was a first world issue. Personally I fish with both spincast and my fly rod. That being said the past two open water fishing seasons I’ve concentrated more with the fly rod. I made the choice to leave the spincast at home to force me to get better with my fly fishing tactics.

BW
Old 07-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Yeah, that attitude has been increasing. Our society promotes attitudes of entitlement starting in grade 1. It just continues from there. Everybody wants to think, and truly believe, they are more ethical, moral and just than others . Just ask a liberal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2019, 03:51 PM

Default Flyfishing--spin fishing

There is no such silly distinction on rivers in BC --Three days ago I counted 27 anglers on one pool--about equal number of fly and spin,nobody cared it was about catching salmon.One couple from Paris released over 20 pink and chum and 5 coho,in one day, on fly rods,the spin fishers also did well----And then the heart break,the natives put out a net across the river and caught over 200 coho,That was just one net,the river cant take this.To add insult to injury they came door to door selling the salmon for $10.00 ea.There great grand children will most likely only know coho by there pictures.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:17 PM

Back In wales their fishing season is from March to end of September, you are only allowed to spin cast with lures during September, as such I learned to fly fish at an early age, back there the powers that be see lures as too easy, too successful, whatever, not judging or expressing an opinion, but be interesting to see what opinions abound in Alberta
Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Default fly--spin

The way I see it you want to hook and release,fly rod with barbless hooks--You want trout for the pan,fly or spin.No need to complicate a simple matter.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:57 AM

The last few years of my life I have forced myself to ask the question, is this a time to learn or a time to teach? Even an old seasoned alcoholic will look upon his junior peers as just drunks. I think in my time I have been surprised and enlightened to learn something from a new experience. Bessiedog's old 6wt will catch way more fish than the 1000 dollar rigs you see that only get used once every 2-3 years. Why is that? Bessiedog goes out fishing and makes time for his passion. That in my guess and his posts involve himself, and often his family. Who is anyone to look down his nose to see a person out pursuing his passion? Sometimes the new person doesn't need any guidance, he may need to be asked to help the seasoned fisherman out. That may be his chance to emphasize his beliefs. In my belief, you have to make time for whatever puts a grin on your face. As well as giving back, it is selfish to not impart experience and help those who need it. It sometimes involves not helping them and letting that person learn his experiences on his own. My ranching profession has taught me that it is way easier to chase a cow from the front. That means, let her follow a chop pail to a new pasture. When you get behind them and get to hollering and whistling, she usually just picks up her tail and buggers off. Let her get a little hungry and she will follow you wherever you want her to go with a little reward at the end. But sometimes, you have to know when to 'give her a kick in the butt'. Those times are harder to know or understand.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I will fish any style anywhere anytime to catch!....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-06-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I will fish any style anywhere anytime to catch!....
OMG, and you probably drink AGD if offered
Old 04-10-2020, 03:22 PM

I recently picked up fly fishing (2 years) now and I have respect for both styles. There is nothing like bringing in a nice fish on a fly after you have matched the hatch. Both ways are fun, and like some have said "Whatever floats your boat" and gets you outside enjoying the water. Cheers & tight lines.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
There is no such silly distinction on rivers in BC --Three days ago I counted 27 anglers on one pool--about equal number of fly and spin,nobody cared it was about catching salmon.One couple from Paris released over 20 pink and chum and 5 coho,in one day, on fly rods,the spin fishers also did well----And then the heart break,the natives put out a net across the river and caught over 200 coho,That was just one net,the river cant take this.To add insult to injury they came door to door selling the salmon for $10.00 ea.There great grand children will most likely only know coho by there pictures.
BC is no different you just need more experience in different areas
Old 04-05-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post

Was that the KitimAt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 04:48 AM

Years ago, when I was new to fly fishing, I was visiting family in northern BC. I went to Tchesinkut lake out of convenience to fish from shore for a few hours. It wasn't going well, I had misread the wind, I wasn't very good to begin with and really had no idea what presentation to use.
Then a guy appeared just down shore from me. He opened the bale and fired a lure out into the surf. BANG! He was winching in a beautiful 20" rainbow. Then on his second cast; BANG again. I believe it only took him six casts to reach his limit of five.
I was jealous, too jealous to talk to this guy. My dad was laughing fairly persistently and went over to the guy. They talked, the guy gave him a rainbow, then tossed his lure in and BANG again.
Apparently that guy fly fished that same spot I was in on a calm day, but if it got choppy a Crocodile was the only way to go.
We got to eat a delicious Lakes Country rainbow and I learned that I should be prepared to use every arrow in my quiver.

-Will
Old 04-06-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
Years ago, when I was new to fly fishing, I was visiting family in northern BC. I went to Tchesinkut lake out of convenience to fish from shore for a few hours. It wasn't going well, I had misread the wind, I wasn't very good to begin with and really had no idea what presentation to use.
Then a guy appeared just down shore from me. He opened the bale and fired a lure out into the surf. BANG! He was winching in a beautiful 20" rainbow. Then on his second cast; BANG again. I believe it only took him six casts to reach his limit of five.
I was jealous, too jealous to talk to this guy. My dad was laughing fairly persistently and went over to the guy. They talked, the guy gave him a rainbow, then tossed his lure in and BANG again.
Apparently that guy fly fished that same spot I was in on a calm day, but if it got choppy a Crocodile was the only way to go.
We got to eat a delicious Lakes Country rainbow and I learned that I should be prepared to use every arrow in my quiver.

-Will

I know that lake well and actually lived a 20min away from it. There is tricks to that lake for both gear and fly fishing. If you know where to go and what to use according to the conditions gear or fly doesn’t matter unless it’s Lakers. I actually used to catch Lakers on my fly rod near the island. There is way better things to use than a croc in that lake

Personally I use both gear and fly there is definitely times one out shines the other. But in my opinion most fishermen handicap them self through limiting their techniques no matter if it’s fly or gear fishing

If your fishing in the bulky valley again there is way better places to fish. Also don’t get two caught up with what most of the locals use they think an apex or T50 are the best things for everywhere
Old 08-28-2019, 07:57 PM
Banned

I only fly fish, but certainly don't have any problem with gear fishermen. They, for the most part are just guys like me trying to enjoy an outing.
However, my experience has been that I have never seen any fly fishermen poaching while I have seen gear guys poaching many, many, many times.
It sickens me.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:36 PM

I started out ishing with a spinning rod and fished that was into my late 20s. The thing I love about fly fishing is the real. Using my fingers as the drag. Nothing like a good knuckle smack when that fish takes a good run. But this spring might have me cronimid fishing with a spinning rod . I might have fish from shore where a back cast is to difficult. Kind of tough to haul my boat into the lakes I fish if the gates are closed. Was thinking about a switch rod for croni fishing from shore but spending money on new gear might be foolish right now. Not sure if that’s even a practical idea. Hopefully things ease up by the end of May.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 AM

I agree. I'm mostly a fly fisherman but occasionally spin cast depending on the situation. Some fly fisherman need to relax with their elitist attitude.

I know a lot of fly fisherman that dislike SOME spin fisherman in particular. The spin casters I'm referring to are the ones who go to catch and release only backcountry rivers with big treble hooks and then chuck the fish like a football back into the river. I've seen it myself and despite the fact that it legal, it's definitely not in the spirit of proper catch and release. Not uncommon to see this and then walk past an hour later to see a dead trout lying sideways at the bottom of a pool.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishClimbHunt View Post
I agree. I'm mostly a fly fisherman but occasionally spin cast depending on the situation. Some fly fisherman need to relax with their elitist attitude.

I know a lot of fly fisherman that dislike SOME spin fisherman in particular. The spin casters I'm referring to are the ones who go to catch and release only backcountry rivers with big treble hooks and then chuck the fish like a football back into the river. I've seen it myself and despite the fact that it legal, it's definitely not in the spirit of proper catch and release. Not uncommon to see this and then walk past an hour later to see a dead trout lying sideways at the bottom of a pool.
Poor fish handling is not exclusive to any form of fishermen. I have crossed paths with my fair share of fly fishermen with extremely poor habitat too. Fly fishermen using too light of a leader breaking of multiple fish in a day or over playing fish during hot summer periods is just as common

I would like to see an improvement in C&R fishermen of all styles and the issues are prevalent within all fishing styles
Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM

I could care less except when people run gear down that others are using , or the way they fish.
I've run #20 gnats with 2weight rods on tiny streams, trolled big white polar bear streamers for lakers with a 10 weight, chucked and ducked massive steamers and weighted nymphs for giant jacks, fished custom steamers for walleye, fished for roosterfish and Dorado in Mexico and quite often the same day used gear ranging from light spinning to heavy bait caster and trolling reals.

Who cares as long as you are having fun, be it with a cheap fiberglass CT 8weight , Top shelf custom shop ordered graphite, or an Ambassador 6000 and a medium weight bait caster, and yoou treat the fish with respect, follow the regulations and leave the water the way you found it.
Cat
Old 04-08-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I could care less except when people run gear down that others are using , or the way they fish.
I've run #20 gnats with 2weight rods on tiny streams, trolled big white polar bear streamers for lakers with a 10 weight, chucked and ducked massive steamers and weighted nymphs for giant jacks, fished custom steamers for walleye, fished for roosterfish and Dorado in Mexico and quite often the same day used gear ranging from light spinning to heavy bait caster and trolling reals.

Who cares as long as you are having fun, be it with a cheap fiberglass CT 8weight , Top shelf custom shop ordered graphite, or an Ambassador 6000 and a medium weight bait caster, and yoou treat the fish with respect, follow the regulations and leave the water the way you found it.
Cat
Your last paragraph is bang on
Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM

It's amazing how well a good spey rod will throw out a worm baited pickerel rig....
Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Poor fish handling is not exclusive to any form of fishermen. I have crossed paths with my fair share of fly fishermen with extremely poor habitat too. Fly fishermen using too light of a leader breaking of multiple fish in a day or over playing fish during hot summer periods is just as common

I would like to see an improvement in C&R fishermen of all styles and the issues are prevalent within all fishing styles

Very true, I've seen some poor fish handling from fly fisherman as well.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishClimbHunt View Post
Very true, I've seen some poor fish handling from fly fisherman as well.
Yeah, like boasting about landing a >18 inch trout with a 3 wt rod... "took about 15 minutes but got it to the net...whoops, looks not to good here"