Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 01:30 PM

Default Blair to pitch possible handgun ban within 2 weeks

Here comes the obvious everyone...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bla...tion-1.4983849

"Blair wants to make cabinet pitch on possible handgun ban within two weeks

The federal minister tasked with studying a handgun ban for Canada hopes to make a recommendation to cabinet within the next two weeks.

Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction Bill Blair has spent the last several months consulting with stakeholders across the country, looking for ways to restrict access to firearms for gang members and other criminals.

"We've completed that study and we're compiling the results and I'll be going before the cabinet in the coming weeks with results of that review and some recommendations," Blair said during the Trudeau government's cabinet retreat in Sherbrooke, Que.

"I'm hoping that we'll be able to do that just in the next two weeks, but again, it depends on a number of different important issues that have to be addressed by government."

The minister will carry out final consultations in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta in the coming days.

Blair was tasked in his Aug. 28, 2018 mandate letter with studying a full ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada, working with Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale on policy, regulations and legislation related to gun control.

The examination was launched after a string of high-profile gun-related deaths and injuries in Canadian cities, including Toronto and Montreal.
Gun control as an election issue

Gun control advocates have pressed the government to adopt stricter laws to restrict firearms, including a ban on handguns.

Others, including sports shooters and some police groups, have argued against a ban.

"There's no way in my world, or any world I know, that this would have an impact on somebody who's going to go out and buy an illegal gun and use it to kill another person or shoot another person," said Mike McCormack, the president of the Toronto Police Association.

Gun control likely will become an election campaign issue, as the Conservatives have attacked Liberal policies as "lazy" measures that would hurt lawful gun owners and do nothing to reduce gun crime.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has proposed a series of measures to restrict firearms ownership, including a lifetime ownership ban for anyone convicted of violent crime or gang-related activity."
Old 01-18-2019, 04:30 PM

Default idiots

Well it's amazing how many gang bangers with lifetime court ordered bans on gun ownership are arrested every weekend .....repeat offenders with ....you guessed it firearms in their possession.The law matters to them ......not.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Well it's amazing how many gang bangers with lifetime court ordered bans on gun ownership are arrested every weekend .....repeat offenders with ....you guessed it firearms in their possession.The law matters to them ......not.
Well it doesn’t count for them as They are victims of their environment. But if your a farmer, hunter or recreational shooter you should have known better as you put yourself in that position....
Old 01-18-2019, 07:08 PM

good timing. if I were a long gun owner in Quebec I wouldn't register a slingshot.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 PM

Default Weeklong Anti gun series

Our national news agency has been hard at work on the policy trail airing a weeklong anti gun series on the current. They spun the story about Clint Malarchuck (which is a great one about mental health) into a gun topic. I feel the timing of the topic, although noteworthy, is deliberate.

I’m not surprised.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 PM

At least we can have our say at the public consultation in Calgary.... oh wait they closed that to invitation only. Unless you're a Liberal party member you won't be getting in. We are up against queens of clown college who wont allow a fair and open dialogue.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Our national news agency has been hard at work on the policy trail airing a weeklong anti gun series on the current. They spun the story about Clint Malarchuck (which is a great one about mental health) into a gun topic. I feel the timing of the topic, although noteworthy, is deliberate.

I’m not surprised.
You beat me to the punch. Ya Monday the rhetoric started...amazing what 1.5 billion dollars will buy in Canada.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:02 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Blair was supposed to be "consulting" Canadians on the matter of these potential bans Canada wide, and taking into consideration comments from all who chose to do so. He has done anything BUT. Instead he has openly encouraged "Public Consultation by Written Invitation" ONLY. One guess who is on the "attend list". Even going so far as to reduce the so-called consultations in Alberta to a completely worthless exercise as noted above:

https://firearmrights.ca/en/minister...ons-no-public/

Even before a good handful of these pseudo consultation meetings has occurred, Blair announces that he has collected all the information needed to formulate his opinion, and therefore recommendations to the government. Not too difficult to ascertain that he likely had his mind made up well before any such "consultations" ever occurred:

Funny, myself nor the several hundred other gun owners I know were never asked for their opinion. Guess we didn't mesh with their Agenda...

Nog

Last edited by IronNoggin; 01-20-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:37 PM

Hold on now---you were able to voice your opinion on his e-poll, you know, the one with the OLD US definition of an assault gun?? And you really didn't expect a Minister of Nothing appointed by a Trudope to actually do something useful?
Just look at Climate Barbie and her jaunt to Paris, the ultimate in hypocrisy.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Blair was supposed to be "consulting" Canadians on the matter of these potential bans Canada wide, and taking into consideration comments from all who chose to do so. He has done anything BUT. Instead he has openly encouraged "Public Consultation by Written Invitation" ONLY. One guess who is on the "attend list". Even going so far as to reduce the so-called consultations in Alberta to a completely worthless exercise as noted above:

https://firearmrights.ca/en/minister...ons-no-public/

Even before a good handful of these pseudo consultation meetings has occurred, Blair announces that he has collected all the information needed to formulate his opinion, and therefore recommendations to the government. Not too difficult to ascertain that he likely had his mind made up well before any such "consultations" ever occurred:

Funny, myself nor the several hundred other gun owners I know were never asked for their opinion. Guess we didn't mesh with their Agenda...

Nog
Lol, this is Canada... the outcome is determined long before the public is "consulted". The pretense of "consulting the public" is more of a slap in the face than anything, get used to it.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Lol, this is Canada... the outcome is determined long before the public is "consulted". The pretense of "consulting the public" is more of a slap in the face than anything, get used to it.
Many say that,
this is exactly the reason that Citizens need to keep and bear arms.

When the soap box and the ballot box are controlled and corrupted,
only the ammo box remains.

It has always been thus.

Section 2a of the US BILL Of Rights exists to protect the !st.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Blair's evidence
A worldwide public handgun survey with sketchy questions that could be filled out multiple times by anyone.
Fudged statistics including airguns, paintball guns maybe even grease guns supported by one cop in TO claiming half the guns seized are domestic.
No separate numbers on prohibited handguns, smuggled or improvised.

A crooked government supported by a publicly paid snowflake media holds all the cards.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Default The guise of gang violence?

If they wanted to get rid of Gang Violence why don’t they just make it a mandatory life sentence for those that would by definition belong to a gang.
Make it illegal to belong to a gang.
Is it that hard?
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 PM

Iam still bitter that the conservatives under Harper didn't do more for gun owners to protect us from this bologna. Not directly related to the subject at hand but I will vent regardless.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:17 PM

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but I think that the mere fact of shooting someone should be illegal...... oh wait it is? And that law doesn’t stop people shooting other people? Well I guess we should come up with another law because maybe they will decide to follow that law. Sometimes all I can do is shake my head....
Old 01-20-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Blair's evidence
A worldwide public handgun survey with sketchy questions that could be filled out multiple times by anyone.
Fudged statistics including airguns, paintball guns maybe even grease guns supported by one cop in TO claiming half the guns seized are domestic.
No separate numbers on prohibited handguns, smuggled or improvised.

A crooked government supported by a publicly paid snowflake media holds all the cards.

And more then a few members on this forum were singing the praises of the defeat of Harper in the last election....So the attack comes from all sides...Remember to thank your liberal voting buddies the next time you see them.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
And more then a few members on this forum were singing the praises of the defeat of Harper in the last election....So the attack comes from all sides...Remember to thank your liberal voting buddies the next time you see them.
Well said.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
I know I’m preaching to the choir here but I think that the mere fact of shooting someone should be illegal...... oh wait it is? And that law doesn’t stop people shooting other people? Well I guess we should come up with another law because maybe they will decide to follow that law. Sometimes all I can do is shake my head....
Lol exactly, so they make these new laws, enforce them about as effectively as the previous laws, on the odd occasion when they catch somebody actually breaking said laws the court system fails to effectively punish the criminals... we then come up with more fire arms restrictions.

The problem has always been and always will be enforcement and prosecution, new laws will never solve any thing.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Lol, for me liberal voting buddies became a thing of the past long before we got to this point