Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Question Hot Water Tank Issues in Rental House...

So, I did look on here for previous hot water problems and see there are some plumbers on here! Our current tenants informed us today that they have noticed the hot water running out sooner and taking longer to reheat. Naturally, I panicked and called the company we use for plumbing and heating here in Pincher Creek, and he told me the first possible culprit may be the dip tube. He then advised against trying to flush the tank as he said that does not usually do much good, if any. We bought the house in 2010 and do not know the age of the tank, although I sent a photo to the plumber of the label with the serial and model numbers on it. I imagine it is getting up there, but as finances suck right now, we are going to try and look at the cheaper options first. Thankfully, we have a new handyman down here who has proven to be very helpful to us, and he told me he has replaced a dip tube, and that it did buy a couple years on the last one he did.

So, what is your opinion on tank flushing? Worth a shot? We could do that ourselves, I guess. Should we get this guy to look at the dip tube first? I thought we should buy one of those water sensor alarms, too, just in case it decides to leak later. And if we have to buy a tank at some point, where is the best place to buy one? The plumber said $735.00 plus tax and two hours install. I saw a used one for 300. on Kijiji, haha....

[IMG][/IMG]

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Cheaper in the long run to replace it now. One thing you don’t want to be messing with is an old hot water heater than is having issues.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:04 PM

If the handyman will switch out the diptube for cheap, do that.
But keep in mind, if the nipple on top is rusty, and twists off instead of out, and the handyman mangles the tank trying to get it out, you'll possibly need to replace it anyway.
The quote you got on the replacement is reasonable.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:08 PM

If you can swing it the 735.00 quote for a new tank installed is a great price. Save your self the headache and not worry about it anymore.

BW
Old 01-17-2019, 03:19 PM

That's a good price, I paid that for mine cash and carry over 4 yrs ago and had a plumber friend install it.

Parents and Mother inlaw had theirs done last year and it was just over 1000 bucks installed for each.

I did a dip tube in my old one, got a few more years out of the old tank and it is easy to replace yourself. Neighbor had his burst, good thing he was home and heard the water running. Still had a mess to clean up.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
If you can swing it the 735.00 quote for a new tank installed is a great price. Save your self the headache and not worry about it anymore.

BW
Two hours at 85/hr to install. So, 950. with tax. If we have to buy one, if the dip tube thing doesn't work, we will get our handy guy to help us put it in.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 01-17-2019, 04:37 PM

Don't be stupid It's $10 for a dip tube and 15 min to install.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Default check the ball

if the tube doesn't work check the ball inside the cold or hot, at the top of the tank, google it, I can't remember at the moment, pulled that out and works great.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Don't be stupid It's $10 for a dip tube and 15 min to install.
Stupid? Thanks! Glad to know it is ten bucks, though. The plumbers said it was $40.00...

Old 01-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Note: I didn't call you Stupid , I just said don't be. The last time I replaced a dip tube it was $8 at Rona, Anyone that is handy should be able to change it for you. There are instructions on utube.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Note: I didn't call you Stupid , I just said don't be. The last time I replaced a dip tube it was $8 at Rona, Anyone that is handy should be able to change it for you. There are instructions on utube.
Thanks! Good to know.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 PM

I just upgrade from a 40 to 50 gallon and tank, install, and new venting was $1000 all in from LPH in Leduc. Great company.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 PM

More expensive but I’m a big fan of instant hot water heaters as they save on gas bills since it isn’t burning gas when your not drawing hot water. Plus you then have unlimited hot water. Back to the initial question, how old is the house? I’d try the cheaper fixes first knowing there’s the possibility of total replacement.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:47 PM

Did a $50 job on my tank 2 years ago, hot water is still a major improvement over what it was.
Did the dip tube, but likely I broke it off taking the old one out, so old tube is still inside. So new tube, $12.
Bought 7-8 four Ltr jugs of vinegar on sale somewhere.
I S/D the gas /burner and water, Drained the tank, in with the vinegar, and topped up til near full, leave for 5-6 hrs. Even circ it if u can with small pump with hose fittings, I used my blue bowl gold panning 12v pump. Drained and flushed clean.
Finally and might be just as important as the water side is the fire side.
Take the tank top flu off, cover the burner with a pc of paper or cardboard.
Wire brush the tank flu area as far down as you can reach.
Vacuumed out the bottom area, you should see lots of crap.

This has saved me a few years for now, but ya, I will need a new tank in time.

TBark
Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 PM

Hot water tank in my house is ten years old. It is a Canadian made unit that has been working great, first issue was last week, we had no hot water. Changed the thermocouple and has been good since. Still heats up like day one.

Don't mind a ten buck fix in ten years. Hope you get yours fixed cheap or find a good deal on a new one.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 PM

HWTs should be flushed once a year at the very least. Is it making any banging noises as it heats? Your dip tube will be disintegrated and floating around in the tank. Changing it will definitely help with the lack of hot water. You'll want to check the colour of the flame as well and make sure its a nice blue colour. As for the flush, it is likely you will see a minor leak on the bottom of the tank if a proper flush is done but it should seal up within 30 mins of running. I see it on units all the time.

What you are experiencing is lack of maintenance and could be a combination of a few things. Any decent handyman will be able to look at it and determine best next steps. If you plan on doing some work to your existing unit change your relief valve while you're at it. HWTs that aren't operating properly are bombs! Like furnaces, I keep spare parts in my basement to fix any issue I could have. Best to be prepared.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Your current tank was made in 2004
Old 01-19-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yz295 View Post
HWTs should be flushed once a year at the very least. Is it making any banging noises as it heats? Your dip tube will be disintegrated and floating around in the tank. Changing it will definitely help with the lack of hot water. You'll want to check the colour of the flame as well and make sure its a nice blue colour. As for the flush, it is likely you will see a minor leak on the bottom of the tank if a proper flush is done but it should seal up within 30 mins of running. I see it on units all the time.

What you are experiencing is lack of maintenance and could be a combination of a few things. Any decent handyman will be able to look at it and determine best next steps. If you plan on doing some work to your existing unit change your relief valve while you're at it. HWTs that aren't operating properly are bombs! Like furnaces, I keep spare parts in my basement to fix any issue I could have. Best to be prepared.
No banging noises. It had its annual service check in December. Did not know about tank flushing until I read about it this week, and too bad the plumbers never mentioned it.
We'll be replacing the dip tube next week after I find one. I guess they are not all the same so don't want to buy one and it is too short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
Yes. I finally figured that out! Hopefully this fix will buy us some time as our finances suck at the moment. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
. As for the flush, it is likely you will see a minor leak on the bottom of the tank if a proper flush is done but it should seal up within 30 mins of running. I see it on units all the time.
Could you explain this a little more?
Are you saying the tank starts leaking all the time, and magically heals itself? Or are you just getting a drip onto the burner?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
14 years. Pretty good.

Any money you put into repairs now will just be added onto the cost of a new one.

I find when they start to go...they are going.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Are you saying the tank starts leaking all the time, and magically heals itself? Or are you just getting a drip onto the burner?
He’s probably mistaking condensation dripping from the flue of a tank of ice cold water being heated as a ‘leak’. It would be cold after flushing it out, but then you already know that.

As for the OP, avoid used heaters on Kijiji, it’s a bit late to discover they leak after you’ve had it installed. If they don’t leak you also don’t know how it’s been handled since removal, it’s a real gamble to put that type of thing in only to have to replace it in 6-18 months. It’s a false economy.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-19-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Dip tube is easy to replace. Did mine a couple years ago. If it needs replacing you will see an instant difference. This is a very common and inexpensive fix for ageing water heaters.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
As for the OP, avoid used heaters on Kijiji, it’s a bit late to discover they leak after you’ve had it installed. If they don’t leak you also don’t know how it’s been handled since removal, it’s a real gamble to put that type of thing in only to have to replace it in 6-18 months. It’s a false economy.
Thanks, Caber. I was kinda kidding about that, as you are right - who knows what the history is of a used tank?

Will do the dip tube first and see what happens.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Banned

We have the same issue. The water in the house takes what seems like a really long time to get from cold to hot. Especially in the bathroom that is farthest from the hot water heater. Also, once the water does warm up and is then turned off it is cold again in minutes and you have to wait for it to warm back up. Any plumber here to help?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Tank will drip a small amount of water on the burners and will fill the hole with sediment within 30 mins or so after running. Some of the time its condensation. Sometimes its little pin hole leaks.

Last edited by yz295; 01-24-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Tank will drip a small amount of water on the burners and will fill the hole with sediment within 30 mins or so after running. Some of the time its condensation. Sometimes its little pin hole leaks.
It’s always condensation. If it’s a leak it’s extraordinarily rare for it to get perfectly plugged by scale, then it’s buh-bye time for that tank.

FYI: Dewey and myself are both journeyman plumbers, so understand that we both know what we’re talking about on this subject. He and I were both wondering what you were talking about and now that you’ve clarified it’s quite apparent that you’re mistaken regarding pinhole leaks that ‘fix themselves’. I’m
Not sure of Dewey’s time in the trade but I’m at 31 years full time+ personally.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 PM

I've only been in the trade half as long as Caber, but I did stay at a holiday inn recently.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've only been in the trade half as long as Caber, but I did stay at a holiday inn recently.
Shhhhh. Don't remind Caber he is really old...

As for the Hot water tank. You are not there as a owner to check on it everyday. Put in a new one. Raise the rent by a few bucks a month. (They won't move out) and keep going.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyS778 View Post
We have the same issue. The water in the house takes what seems like a really long time to get from cold to hot. Especially in the bathroom that is farthest from the hot water heater. Also, once the water does warm up and is then turned off it is cold again in minutes and you have to wait for it to warm back up. Any plumber here to help?
If your heater is electric, i would say your top element is fried.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Shhhhh. Don't remind Caber he is really old...
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I ain't even 50 yet, I just started in the trade early working for my Pop . That being said, I'm in the zone I can count down the months until then by removing my socks.