Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 AM

Default worm management?

hey all with the recent couple of days of rain i went and did some worm picking and got a nice haul for maybe two trips. my issue right now is trying to keep them alive. i am using that HT worm bedding, storing in a cool dry place but they are still dying within a few days, are they just too waterlogged or am i doing something wrong?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
hey all with the recent couple of days of rain i went and did some worm picking and got a nice haul for maybe two trips. my issue right now is trying to keep them alive. i am using that HT worm bedding, storing in a cool dry place but they are still dying within a few days, are they just too waterlogged or am i doing something wrong?
Keep them in the fridge
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 AM

If they are earthworms the best medium to store them in is the dirt from where they lived. Keep it moist but not saturated. Cool and dark. Add or change dirt every week or two. If replacing the dirt, keep the old dirt 'castings' for your plants or garden.
If they are dew worms, I have had good success with sphagnum moss with some roots and soil attahced. Store in a pail or wooden box. Packed sort of tight. Moisten regularly but not drown. Cool and dark too.

This is my method. Maybe someone has better info but this should work for you.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Banned

Hey,

I've got about 15 dozen or so going at the moment and go out a couple nights a week at 11pm to pick another dozen.

I have mine in one of those plastic containers you can buy spinach in. I stabbed a bunch of holes in it to allow air flow.

My original bedding was just garden soil, and now I add a cup of decomposing leaves/grass every time I add a bunch.

The bedding should have some moisture in it but should not be wet.

I keep them in the spare fridge in the furnace room with the fridge set to a lower setting (warmer). You don't want them to freeze.

If you have them in the fridge, in a container with air exchange, with a moist but not wet bedding they will live a long time.

Dew worms (nightcrawlers) can live for several years.

When I don't have so many worms, I just use a yoghurt container with holes poked in the lid.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Hey,

I've got about 15 dozen or so going at the moment and go out a couple nights a week at 11pm to pick another dozen.

There are some REEEEEEEALY different guys on this board. But they say "Variety is the spice of life."
Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
There are some REEEEEEEALY different guys on this board. But they say "Variety is the spice of life."
Ya, I wonder what my neighbours think when they see me out for my nightly walk wearing a headlamp crouched in the mantis pose.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Ya, I wonder what my neighbours think when they see me out for my nightly walk wearing a headlamp crouched in the mantis pose.

they probably wonder about you when you walking into the house with a 4ft burbot too, just sayin
Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
they probably wonder about you when you walking into the house with a 4ft burbot too, just sayin
prob wonder why I run out of the house at 5am with a huge grin every saturday
Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Juat check their locks, make a mental note to talk to kids about odd people and strangers.....
Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHA this is too funny!! only a fisherman...
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM

ok i think i see what my issue is now judging by the common denominator in the way you guys store and keep your worms going. store in dark cool dry area check, plenty of dirt and bedding check, keep it moist but not saturated check, keep in refridgerator check, poke holes in lid for ventilation DAMMIT, WHOOPS, DOH. i have been keeping it in a container with the lid on tight.duh big mistake thanks guys
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Gone Hunting

Not too wet. The nice thing about worms that die is they stink like nothing else. Perfect for urban warfare with a surly neighbor. he'll never get that stank out of his vehicle or clothes dryer either for that matter.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM

yeah thats true but unfortunately i got a taste of my own medicine last nite when i grabbed a bunch and stored them away for two days then last nite i decided to go fishing and low and behold i open the container expecting some big fat lively worms and instead i got a huge ball of melted worms that almost made me regurgitate last weeks dinner.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 AM

I have found meal worms and maggots live a lot longer simply by adding a few drops of water to the bags they come in.
Does anyone have any advise on storing leaches outside. They get stinky so quick. I dont have a spare fridge and i am not cruel enough to store them in the kitchen one as a surprise for the fiance to find. I was told the water should be changed but tap water probably has too much chlorine.
Leeches are quite nasty to start with but does anyone know how to keep them from becoming ultra-nasty. Thanx.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Collecting after a down pour or sustained rain is tricky they may appear alive but have already drowned and these worms get mixed up with the living ones and start to rot and stink.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Default Leeches

Darren 57

If out side is your only option then you could keep your container in a cooler with the lid a jar for ventilation.
You can rinse with tap water twice a week, remove the dead ones but you need to store them in distilled water. The jugs are pretty cheap at Shppers drug mart.

I use a garage fridge but changing an ice pack or two could work.
Just a thought.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
yeah thats true but unfortunately i got a taste of my own medicine last nite when i grabbed a bunch and stored them away for two days then last nite i decided to go fishing and low and behold i open the container expecting some big fat lively worms and instead i got a huge ball of melted worms that almost made me regurgitate last weeks dinner.
put them in salmon egg mesh and use them for sturgeon. stinkier the better

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM

I go to Mohawk and by a box. When they die I go to mohawk and by another box. you guys are hard to the core!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Not too wet. The nice thing about worms that die is they stink like nothing else. Perfect for urban warfare with a surly neighbor. he'll never get that stank out of his vehicle or clothes dryer either for that matter.

I always found a jumbo bag of maggots left open under the seat in a 'friends' car produces some nice fly action for a few days.