Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:23 PM

And nowhere did Cat ever say that everbody will take a head shot, in fact he said it is the shot he would only take if there was no other option.
If your gonna debate something at least use actuall quotes and not stuff you make up in your head.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem300wsm View Post
if you can head shoot a deer 100% then have at it but the day you blow off a jaw or wound one let me know
You obviously have not read any of my previous posts where I stated that I would not take a head shot as a personal preference, nor read the one where I commended you favourably for your ethical behaviour. Nor have you read back on a lot of previous posts that some of us commend you highly for your good ethics. You seem to have have a hard-on for Cat, a long established and respected authority here on this forum. Be it as it may, Cat is much older than you are, thus has more experience. Cat is a precision shooter, something that you have a lot to learn about. In fact, most of us "older" shooters and hunters love to take you under our wings so to speak and teach you younger guys, both in shooting and hunting. But, you for some silly reason seem to evade this.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
you make assumptions about the woodshed its pretty bad when a youngster will wait for that perfect shot and the big experienced elder hunter will just take any shot that he is presented with, he knows the future and knows that that's the only shot he can take shooting a deer inst life or death. all you big head shot hunters sure wouldn't pull that stunt if he had a good set of all mighty antlers on his head that you would want mounted would yous. and you have killed more deer than me who cares
I admire your ethics but you are failing to realize the shots some people are capable of. I would never take a head shot but I cannot put a quarter over my 3 shot group either!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM
rem300wsm

OK fair enough but what about the head shot on a big buck and that's the only shot you can take because most have to shoot cant let it walk have to shoot!!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
if you can head shoot a deer 100% then have at it but the day you blow off a jaw or wound one let me know
Well now, you see, it's comments like that that show your inexperience. No, I repeat NO, shot is 100% - EVER. If you think your broadside boiler room shots are 100% then you'd better either start listening more or hang up your smoke pole now. Like LC said, you yourself WILL eventually wound and lose an animal if you hunt long enough, so quit fooling yourself into thinking the heart/lung shot your hanging your hat on is a "guaranteed" hit/kill.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
rem300wsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
And nowhere did Cat ever say that everbody will take a head shot, in fact he said it is the shot he would only take if there was no other option.
If your gonna debate something at least use actuall quotes and not stuff you make up in your head.
obviously he would take the head shot if there was no other option and maybe read a little bit get it right its pretty clear
Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 PM

The young tool is just looking to argue to be heard. He isn't reading what is posted, and doesn't care to be accurate about other's posts in his replies. Why bother? Not all tools are sharp.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-03-2011, 06:18 PM
rem300wsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Well now, you see, it's comments like that that show your inexperience. No, I repeat NO, shot is 100% - EVER. If you think your broadside boiler room shots are 100% then you'd better either start listening more or hang up your smoke pole now. Like LC said, you yourself WILL eventually wound and lose an animal if you hunt long enough, so quit fooling yourself into thinking the heart/lung shot your hanging your hat on is a "guaranteed" hit/kill.
bigger target means more of a chance of hitting it!!! think
Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM

i don't want to sound like an *** or a troll but what if we make everyone who says the can kill with a head shot 100% of the time 100 yards from a five inch target and tell them to hit it five times in a row in rain wind and snow
Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 PM

From a good prone position, I can be reasonably sure of making a head shot on a gopher at 100 yds. Nonetheless, I would probably not attempt the same shot on a deer unless the animal was wounded and that was the shot I had.
One fellow I know was seriously injured by a buck which had been shot in the head. I was myself, a near victim after a friend dropped a small muley buck with a head shot. That shot hit a bit low and right behind the jaw. The deer dropped like a stone and I stepped across the deer roll him over. He got up and made a pretty good try at my belly.
The point is this, head shots work great except when they don't. I'm a reasonably good shot but I am as aware of the possibility of a slight miss as I am confident of a hit. Hit three inches low in the ribs and it's no big deal. Hit three inches low with a head shot and it's a potential mess.
Ultimately, everyone will do what makes them feel best. Just don't think a head shot means either a dead deer or a clean miss. Leeper
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Thank you. I knew it wasn't going to be long.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

bye bye ....
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by little archer_99 View Post
i don't want to sound like an *** or a troll but what if we make everyone who says the can kill with a head shot 100% of the time 100 yards from a five inch target and tell them to hit it five times in a row in rain wind and snow
Don't fall into the trap. No one, but no one EVER said that they could or would do it 100% of the time. Read back from post 1 and you'll see that there are a variety of opinions, capabilities and so on.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Don't fall into the trap. No one, but no one EVER said that they could or would do it 100% of the time. Read back from post 1 and you'll see that there are a variety of opinions, capabilities and so on.
still, if some one did that it would be epic
Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Default Did this get mentioned??

I read most of this thread...
But didn't see it mentioned that a boiler room shot helps bleed the meat way better than a head shot .... No?

I'm always thinking about the meat when I shoot.

Mmmmmmeat!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Would any of you even take a rifle in the field that you weren't capable of shooting MOA or very close?

I never see anyone bragging about their rifle that will group 6 inches at 100 yds but I see guys post here that they are comfortable hoping to hit a six circle on the side of a deer, all the while ripping on a guy who knows he and his rifle are capable of hitting 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

No one said anyone else had to take even one head shot. No one is advocating taking only head shots. No one said they would not let an animal walk if they were not comfortable with the shot, head or otherwise.

It really shows how little someone knows when they slag an experienced hunter in a rude and ignorant way when they can't even read the posts in the thread correctly. What little credibility you had was cashed in the first time you ran your mouth like a spoiled child instead of a young man with respect. I can't believe you are still in the room.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
obviously he would take the head shot if there was no other option and maybe read a little bit get it right its pretty clear
My god kid every post you make gets dumber and dumber....
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Bottom line is that there is a big difference between what me and my specified bench guns can do and me and my knees, fence post can do. It's up to you to meake the ethical call as to not end up with the pics that Keg posted.
Well put.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
The point is this, head shots work great except when they don't. I'm a reasonably good shot but I am as aware of the possibility of a slight miss as I am confident of a hit. Hit three inches low in the ribs and it's no big deal. Hit three inches low with a head shot and it's a potential mess.
Ultimately, everyone will do what makes them feel best. Just don't think a head shot means either a dead deer or a clean miss. Leeper
Well put as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 PM
rem300wsm

Quote:
My god kid every post you make gets dumber and dumber....
boy your pretty mouthy behind your computer screen
Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Also, I did not tell the troll that I would take a head shot at an animal 100 yards away ( which I won't), running - unless it is headed somewhere where I can't let the get to if it is already wounded, like into deep water, or in a desperate attempt to take a trophy ( which BTW, I do not hunt) or any of the other things he implied about me being a slob hunter, lacking in ethics, or whatever else the kid tried to mud sling about.
Maybe I should have mentioned that the head shots I have taken were on wounded animals, animals VERY close, or animals that put me in a defensive position, but it would be wasted on the little piece of crap anyway, so what's the point.
He has decided to make me out to be something I am not, and make himself out to be some great hunter and more ethical than I which i doubt very much he is.
It doesn't matter in the end, this thread is gone off the rails a long time ago.......
Cat
Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 PM

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...1 who learns by reading, the few who learn by watching others, and the many who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 PM

I have requested that this POS thread get locked, in case anyone was wondering who it was.

Cat
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
boy your pretty mouthy behind your computer screen
See ya...... Your not worth it. Cat I wouldn't waste the bandwidth anymore.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM

This topic seems to appear on a regular basis, and the responses are always the same. The end result is always the same as well, that being arguments and accusations that result in the thread being locked.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Cat,
I've read your threads for quite a few years now, I feel confident saying your experience and ethics are without question to the hunters with a few years experience on this site. Youthful vigor never trumps hard earned experience, ever.
Baz
Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM

Default that's all folks

this thread is done. Cat you have never posted anything ever, that would have people question your ethics or respect for the animals you hunt.