Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Rock lake or Peers lake

Do you think these Lakes will be open by the long weekend?? Has anyone ever fished these lakes and if so how did you do. I was going to go to Peerless for Lakers but I am sure it will still be frozen, so I need to find some other lakes to fish for lakers. Anyone???
Thanks
T
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 AM

I have been to Rock Lake a couple of times during the summer. Caught pike but no lakers as I was not setup for getting a lure deep enough at that time of the year for the lakers. A nicer lake you will not find in Alberta. As for the ice being off, contact Fish and Wildlife in Hinton and ask them who runs the campground and then get ahold of them as I am sure they will be able to tell you the ice conditions there.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:32 PM

I have been to peerless lake for three years in a row now. On may long weekend the ice has always been out. The only problem is the lake doesnt turn over until the end of may usually. So you will still need downriggers to find the big boys.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:45 PM

I'd be surprised if the ice was off by May long weekend at either lake with the spring we had. Although, the key is wind, which creates air movement and breaks up the ice.

Only twice out of the last 12 years has Peerless been froze on May long. My parents have a contact right in town that lets us know. I'll keep you posted.

As for turnover, I haven't seen any effect at Peerless. I've caught them when only 30% of the lake was open (actually one of my better days)...but have had some slow days in the first week of ice off...typically the fishing peaks at the 2 or 3 week after ice off...and by the second week of June, the fishing slows, and stays that way until Sept. Be ready for some slow fishing, we average about 6-8 man hours per fish, good days you'll catch a half dozen, bad days...well, lets just say I've spent 3 days without even feeling a tug.

We haven't fished much with downriggers...but then again most people don't. Although the two groups I have seen use them, definitely seem to catch some larger fish...but the fishing can be even slower.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Default rock lake in Brooks is wide open!

I have some wells on the NW end, was fishing (working) today. she is wide open, didnt get anything, lake is low (EID hasnt filled er up yet, I would suggest the SE end of things, thats where I have had my best luck! I have NEVER heard of lakers in there, LOTS of pike (if youre into that soft of thing!)
Cheers and blue skies
Old 05-01-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Rock lake

I am talking about Rock lake near Athabasca. I have fished peerless every year for ten years or so and always go up on the long weekend. Only once in all those years has it been totally frozen. Some times you have to go around the lake a bit to get away from the ice. Also I have never used down riggers on that lake and have caught quite a few of the big boys you just have to know were to go. Last year my favourite spots were gone because the water was up and my spots were deeper so the fish were elsewhere. We still caught quite a few including a 21 pounder. I actually saw a guy there a few years back with a 42 pounder. I asked why he didn't take a pic and then release it and the answer was wall mount. You know how old a 42 pounder must be!! But getting back on track I spoke with the guy who runs the store and it is still good and frozen. I don't think she will be open but ya never know. That is why I am inquiring about rock and peers Thank-you
Tim
Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM

You mean Rock Island Lake. I was talking obviously of Rock Lake by Hinton.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I am talking about Rock lake near Athabasca. I have fished peerless every year for ten years or so and always go up on the long weekend. Only once in all those years has it been totally frozen. Some times you have to go around the lake a bit to get away from the ice. Also I have never used down riggers on that lake and have caught quite a few of the big boys you just have to know were to go. Last year my favourite spots were gone because the water was up and my spots were deeper so the fish were elsewhere. We still caught quite a few including a 21 pounder. I actually saw a guy there a few years back with a 42 pounder. I asked why he didn't take a pic and then release it and the answer was wall mount. You know how old a 42 pounder must be!! But getting back on track I spoke with the guy who runs the store and it is still good and frozen. I don't think she will be open but ya never know. That is why I am inquiring about rock and peers Thank-you

Tim
Sooorrry. Just trying to help. Didnt realize you knew everything about everything.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Default peerless

I'm not trying for conflict here all I'm doing is telling you what I know. If you want to know where the holes are ask and i will tell you. Its just that Ive fished Peerless for about 10 years or so in May and the last week of September. Sorry to have offended you