Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Advice on a new bow !!

Hey gents,

Wanting to get started ( again) with bow hunting and could use some advice on who's bow I should purchase. I know that no one manufacturer is the best but what are you all using ? I read a lot on Hoyt, Mathews, BT. Who gives you the best bang for your $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 PM

APA is my pick.

Same as always. Go to several dedicated archery pro shops, over a few days, and shoot as many as you can. When it feels right, buy it and don't look back.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:21 PM

Thanks, I will check them out.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:32 AM

X2 for apa the tune ability is so much easier ...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 01-18-2017, 06:27 AM

I shoot Hoyt now and will probably buy them again next time. Diamond might be the best bang for the buck. My son got a moderately priced one a few years ago and it was far better performing than the other bows in the same price range.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:39 AM

Bowtech IMHO, has the most tunable cam system around, it's not just opinion that sentiment is echoed by the industry. No spacers, factory defined laser tune specs for cam lean. Dead easy to set cam timing. If you aren't a hands on archer (own a press and do your own work) they are still a great choice because once you get them set, they hold tune. Also the flagship from Bowtech seem to be around some of the most economical, even when compared to Canadian bow companies and especially compared to other American companies.

Yah in the past they have had issues with limbs due to outsouced manufacturing, now since they have been brought in house the limbs are awesome.

LC
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM

Be sure to shoot the Hoyt Carbon Defiant. The DFX cam is sweet!!!
I also shot the new Bow Tech Reign...was impressed...just hard to beat Carbon hunting bows.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:09 AM

Just bought a new bow -- tried Bowtech Reign 6 & 7, Mathews Halon 32, and a Hoyt Defiant Pro.

I decided on the Hoyt -- dead in hand, zero vibration post release, super smooth draw cycle, extremely quiet -- wasn't even close IMO.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:16 PM

I just bought a bowtech carbon icon, beautiful bow. I think you really need to try a handful of bows and see what fits you personally.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:23 PM

APA's are on sale at WSS now too.

Link here.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 AM

I choose Hoyt. They are one of only 2 iso 9000 certified bow manufactures. The other being Prime. What this means to the consumer in a nut shell is the the product you have in your hand is there because very rigorous quality control specs of all aspects of the creation and assembly of that bow hand been adhered to. No other bow companies can say that and back it up with certification.

Additionally, they are generally a great shooting, we'll built and nice to shoot bow.

My advise is to shoot a bunch of bows and find the one that feels the most natural to you, regardless of price or manufacturer. If you go value shopping, you will give up something, and if that is fit and feel you are hand capping yourself right out of the chute.

Norm
Old 01-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I choose Hoyt. They are one of only 2 iso 9000 certified bow manufactures. The other being Prime. What this means to the consumer in a nut shell is the the product you have in your hand is there because very rigorous quality control specs of all aspects of the creation and assembly of that bow hand been adhered to. No other bow companies can say that and back it up with certification.

Additionally, they are generally a great shooting, we'll built and nice to shoot bow.

My advise is to shoot a bunch of bows and find the one that feels the most natural to you, regardless of price or manufacturer. If you go value shopping, you will give up something, and if that is fit and feel you are hand capping yourself right out of the chute.

Norm
I am with Norm.

Why buy a Skoda when you can buy a Toyota for the same money.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post
I am with Norm.

Why buy a Skoda when you can buy a Toyota for the same money.
Haha! Ah, the Skoda...

That being said, I am looking at a Prime being my next one. Although I might get sweet-talked into an APA, eh.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Med Hat hunter View Post
Hey gents,

Wanting to get started ( again) with bow hunting and could use some advice on who's bow I should purchase. I know that no one manufacturer is the best but what are you all using ? I read a lot on Hoyt, Mathews, BT. Who gives you the best bang for your $.

I have been thinking the same thing lately
getting a new bow
back in 1991 0r 1992 (way out of date you say well lets see if you got the same mileage out the new fancy stuff on the market today)
I bought a custom ordered high country supreme, with 110lb draw weight from trophy book archery , when Jim at jimbows was still in high school,
no other bow tech has worked on this bow other then Jim or high country themselves
I still use that bow today
but as age gets to me
I'm finding I just don't have the strength and endurance I had in my youth to pull it as much or as often anymore,
high country archery has given me nothing but superb service on this bow
they have honored their warranty , and have rebuilt this bow at no cost to me 7 or 8 times through out the years
I cant find another high country dealer here in Canada,
so I'm curious as to who has best warranty and best service out there
who makes the best bows??
who makes the fastest bow, ??
who makes the most reliable bows?
I have a million other questions as well
as a bow is a personal thing and can be more costly then a high end rifle and scope
its a major decision, when it comes to finances and setting up and equipping a new bow
I know already I'll go to the best of the best to buy it
that is JIMBOWS
but what make ?
what model ?
and why do you recomend it??
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-28-2017, 08:36 PM

Before you pull the trigger on an APA, Hoyt, BT or PSE, shoot a Prime. They pride themselves off building an accurate bow rather then pumping up their bows with specs and IBO ratings. I've shot many bows and for me nothing comes close to the Prime, for me anyways. I'm heading out to accurate archery on my days off to try out the new Centergy and Centergy Hybrid. It's all personal preference though. If I were you I'd spend a weekend shooting different brands and models. I've seen lots of people go into shops look at a bow like it was a t shirt and saying I pick that one without even shooting it. Good luck on your hunt for a new bow.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:08 PM

I'm not overly brand loyal but if I had to pick one I would say Bowtech for sure as far as bang for your buck. If you don't care about $$ and are only looking for the best it's a different story.

Either way, to each their own. One company I definitely wouldn't count out is Elite. I don't remember anyone else recommending them, but they are very top quality for sure....make sure you check them out.

Either way...Bowtech, Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, APA....etc....whichever feels the best to you. Just make sure you post back to let us know what you've decided on!
Old 02-01-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Be sure to shoot the Hoyt Carbon Defiant. The DFX cam is sweet!!!
I also shot the new Bow Tech Reign...was impressed...just hard to beat Carbon hunting bows.
I'll agree with the carbon sentiments for sure. I tried several bows at Jimbows before going with a BT Carbon Icon. It just fit me perfectly. I had never before purchased a bow but after shooting a few that was definitely the one. I read on here after I purchased it that most people say the same thing: you'll know when it's the right bow.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:33 PM

For a carbon bow, the weight makes a difference in steadiness, I chose bow tech. I went in to buy a Hoyt but couldn't justify the extra expense for a bow that weighed more and had less velocity at the time. One thing I can say, bow technology changes every few years, but the guys at Kim bows still provide "customer support" for any problem I have and usually it's free because I bought the get there. I have a friend that bought there bow else where and changed it 2 years later in part just to get the support Jim bows offers. If you shoot enough, things break or need tuning and Jim bows service is invaluable!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:21 AM

Long time Hoyt shooter here.... I've been shooting a Hoyt for 15 years.... The first Hoyt I bought wasn't top of the line, but I beat that thing (about as hard as you can beat a bow unintentionally) and it never gave me a lick of problems. It currently sits in the hands of my hunting buddy's Dad, and still shoots the lights out.

My current one is long in the tooth as well (If most people are cycling through their bows every 2-3 years) as it's a 2010 Hoyt Carbon Element. I have only had one other bow shoot as accurately for as long as the CE has; the other Hoyt mentioned above.

Running the CE with a QAD rest, IQ 7 pin sight, and short (8") Fuse blade stabilizer.... Light weight setup that doesn't wear me out after packing it for a full day.... Arrows ride on a hip quiver because of different reasons.

I fully agree with all the other above saying to find the one out of the many that fits YOU. Don't go in with a budget, but go in with an open mind.... That magical bow that you shoot the wings off a fly could only be $100 more than your set budget, but you'll never know unless you try them all...

J.