Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Default Legal creek access?

I'm looking for the actual legal information regarding being in/on creeks and rivers in Alberta.

We've run into a minor problem with a landowner. We access the creek above his property and walk down the creek. This landowner has approached us a couple times ranting how we are tresspassing on private property and veiled threats of violence. There's usually a couple of us so he's pretty much ignored since as far as I know we are NOT tresspassing.

This has esculated to valve-stems being removed from our vehicle. Can't prove it was the landowner.........so we'll call it a coincidence.

Anyhow to make a long story short could someone direct me to where I can find the actual legal information for being on these waters in AB. The landowner insists we are tresspassing. I would like to hand him the information personally.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"Dammaged"
Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 PM

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/using...oundaries.aspx

Specifically: "The beds and shores of a river or stream that are bounded by private land may generally be traversed below the ordinary high water mark without fear of trespass."

The only clause you have to watch for is: "Undefined Stream Channels: Water features that that do not have a definable bed or channel are not owned by the Province." If that's the case I doubt there's any fish in that stream
Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Would also be worth checking with one of the COs in your area.