Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Default CVR report

So I was out at CV last week during the awesome weather and had a great time fishing all day for 4 days. I got my biggest eye in as long as I can remember, at 4 1/4 lbs and 21". Not a monster by any means, but she fought hard.

The water is like Pea Soup, the algae is so bad. The first day we were there there was zero wind and it was a complete "mat" on the whole reservoir. There were tons, and tons of shrimp out, and every Pike had a dozen left in its mouth.

The Pike were rising Big time, some completely breaching, although I only seen the odd small dragon fly on the surface. I felt like such a moron for not bringing my fly rod, Do'h. Although they fought like hell, and maybe too much for the 8 wt fly rod. Ducking and Diving, thrashing and smashing the boat, it was fun as hell to bring them in.

We found Walter in the same spots we found big Jack, so close it seemed odd. I usually move on when I find a big Jack at a hole, but I had a hard time figuring out what I had on till I could see it.

The campsite is a complete construction zone, and from dusk till 6 pm it was like camping near a weigh scale, truck after truck. Their putting in a Marina, where the pond was behind the tenting area. She said their putting power to some of the sites, and possibly water. Section A isn't getting touched much, maybe just a bit leveling off, which is nice.

A Marina would be cool, but I'm sure it will be packed and only for those who rent a lot or something. Oh well, my boats a P.O.S, so the shore is good enough for me. lol.

I didn't get more then a couple Jack on minnows, but black soft-plastic Jigs were the lure of choice, so I'd assume Leches were on the menu. We had a few follow the lure right to the boat and lazily take it and spit it out right after. Despite the hot weather the fish seemed to prefer a slower troll, or presentation.

Much better then I had last fall there. I got skunked by Walter all together and went home an "unhappy camper". Yet I couldn't troll slowly then, and no sonar so I didn't stand a chance. I'd say I got about 3-6 fish a day with an even split or close between Wally and Jack. Almost all the Jacks were keepers, yet they were way to soft for my liking. Most of them were at around 17'-30', more around mid-lake structure, then near-shore.

The water is lower then normal, but still safe to launch and cruise around. I might even head out for the day before she closes on the 15th, if the weather is nice. Catching a 10 pound Jack full of pi$$ n Vinegar, on a dry fly on the surface has got to be a blast and a half.

Last edited by PlayDoh; 10-06-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the report - looks like a great trip, wish I was enjoying the last week of warm weather but alas.... works a bitch...