Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 AM

Default Drop away rest or whisker biscuit for bowhunting & 3D shooting

I would like to hear what you guys think I am thinking of switching to a drop away rest I currently use a whisker biscuit but I am worried about my arrow falling out when knocked when stalking an animal
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Check out the Hamskea Hunter Hybrid.

LC
Old 01-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Banned

I switched from wb to a rip cord and wouldn't change a thing no issues with arrow falling out but yet I don't hold my bow upside down either
Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Will do thanks man. Is that the one that they rave about at jim bows? (Edmonton)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenCreekOutdoors View Post
Will do thanks man. Is that the one that they rave about at jim bows? (Edmonton)
I have it on my target and hunting bows, really solid rest. I got mine at Jim Bows.

LC
Old 01-16-2017, 01:58 PM

There's lots of full containment dropaway rests on the market. QAD, ripcord, hamskea, trophy taker, and the list goes on. Go check a few out on their websites or in the pro shops. Many different styles and price ranges. Should be able to find one you like.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:

LC
That looks like a very well built rest Lefty. Hadn't heard of them before, but I've been using a QAD Ultra rest for a long time and haven't had a reason to change.....they work just fine.

I'd choose a drop away over a whisker biscuit every time, just for the few horror stories I've heard of biscuits getting wet and freezing, then tearing a fletch off on that once in a lifetime animal. Those are anecdotal stories, maybe exaggerated, but a guy at our spring shoot claimed it happened to him and I wouldn't call him a liar. As for accuracy....well, awards have been won with the biscuit, but I still think the drop away is inherently more accurate, as it shouldn't make contact with the vanes if it is tuned properly. I've never had an arrow drop off my QAD when stalking either, if that is what you are worried about. My .02 worth....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 PM

I was a huge supporter of the whisker biscuit. I still like the reliability of it. I just got tired of wearing out and replacing the bristles. Picked up the hamskea and would never get anything else now haha. Can't go wrong with qad either though. I've heard too many negative stories about ripcord to even consider it. (watched one fail one time on the 3-d trail...out of the 3 of us, one had it and the other guy had his fail on a hunt and all his hunting buddies had problems with them too)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 AM

For increased accuracy, you will want something other than a WB. Get a good fall away rest, particularly, a limb driven one.
Good luck to you.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 AM

ripcord all the way
Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:

LC
X2
Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 PM

Stay with the WB, no surprises, no disappointments.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:02 PM

I used a qad drop away for a while . Then went to a WB . I love it . 1 less thing to go wrong .
Old 01-17-2017, 07:49 PM

Whisker biscuit to drop away and back to whisker biscuit. They will not let you down. Never ever noticed a difference in accuracy. Mine is hard on arrows...too many robin hoods!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
Whisker biscuit to drop away and back to whisker biscuit. They will not let you down. Never ever noticed a difference in accuracy. Mine is hard on arrows...too many robin hoods!
Had a friend just go through this....maybe he'll chime in here.
His drop-away failed twice over a couple of years and there wasn't going to be a third.

A Whisker Biscuit has 3 simple parts and is capable of accuracy that is beyond most people's abilities, how do you argue with that?

BUT, (insert disclaimer here) like all things, there are possible quirks. To prevent any on my WB I apply silicone spray to the bristles from new, and every 2-3yrs if not replaced. Makes a difference on the noise factor and I've never had a problem with water-logging or freezing.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:14 PM

I bought a package bow this fall one of the first upgrades I did to it after shooting it for awhile was to put a QAD Ultrarest on. Here's what I noticed when I make a perfect shot whisker bisket is just as accurate. But my a average went up because I am not perfect and a drop away rest is more forgiving to small errors. Ask yourself see any professional archers or hunters using one has to be a reason if there were no downside to using one you'd see a few.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:11 PM

Whisker biscuits seem to be the best low cost option. I'd prefer one over a low-end drop away. If the budget allows then the best drop aways are amazing! There should be no worries as far as containment with them and they seem easier to shoot with, plus aren't subject to the wear and tear like a whisker. Also, they allow for helical vanes!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
I bought a package bow this fall one of the first upgrades I did to it after shooting it for awhile was to put a QAD Ultrarest on. Here's what I noticed when I make a perfect shot whisker bisket is just as accurate. But my a average went up because I am not perfect and a drop away rest is more forgiving to small errors. Ask yourself see any professional archers or hunters using one has to be a reason if there were no downside to using one you'd see a few.
Lots of great animals taken by great and famous hunters with WB. In 3D maybe dont look cool with the fluorescent bow and 9 foot stabilizer. 😜