Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 AM

Default Pembina Saturday

So I've been hearing about this mythical Pembina River where a guy can actually keep a couple walleye for a long time, but never seemed to manage to make my way over to check it out.

Well, that finally changed yesterday when I headed out with buckmaster and buckmasterjr to try to slay some walleye. We rolled out around 6am and arrived at the river shortly after 7, got our gear together and walked down to the water. The sun was just coming out and there was a mist over the river...very neat to see. Also, the scenery out there is very nice

First off I must say I was blown away by just how clean the water in this river is, which is a good thing since we were wading and there were a lot of big boulders just waiting to be tripped on if you couldn't see. We were fishing near a little trib that was bringing in muddy water, and there was a very distinct line where the two waters met, and walking through the muddy stuff was sketchy business indeed!

So we spent the morning exploring around the area, chucking jigs at the edge of the dirty water (and sacrificing a few to the boulders) and pulling in quite a few walleye...sadly none were big enough to keep, but there were more than enough fish there to keep us entertained for the morning. We ended up calling it quits around 12:30 and we were back on the road home by 1.

More pics coming...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Aaaaaaaand now the fish

Check out the pattern on this one. After I released it, it swam a few feet away and just hung out in front of a rock, and didn't seemed to be bothered that I was so close, so I took the opportunity to grab a couple underwater shots

And here's a few more random little guys from the day

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Looks like good times............... I know some people who know some people who caught a fish outta there once. They told me where the honey hole is.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapStaff View Post
Looks like good times............... I know some people who know some people who caught a fish outta there once. They told me where the honey hole is.
Wasn't the provincial walleye record out of the Pembina at one point in time?

We can discuss this honey hole you speak of on Wednesday!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Love the pics. That's always been one of my favourite rivers.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 AM

Nice pics, and the patterns on those walleye are spectacular. I've also heard many stories of the glory of the Pembina but have yet to make my way out on it.