Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2023, 11:11 PM

Question Size of big coyote?

How big do coyotes get?

Hunted pheasant more than normal this fall and pretty sure im seeing the same coyote in the same coulee everytime I go bird hunting....This coyote is either super fluffy with hair or really big....was thinking of shooting him this winter as he is where a majority of the pheasant hang out.

There was also another one in the same coulee ive seen twice that was really dark and looked half black...not to sure about touching them though as I heard they carry a parrasite that can transfer to humans and get in your liver? Can anyone elaborate on that?
Old 11-28-2023, 11:23 PM

The big Dawgs can go around 50 lbs...throw him in a garbage bag and a good dose of raid ... I have seen a couple of black pups in the fall...but never saw or heard of them again...
Old 11-29-2023, 05:34 AM

The parasite is carried through feces. People have gotten it from eating blueberries that canines have come in contact with. I believe it originated in dogs over in Europe. Its considered fairly rare here still but is here to stay.
Old 11-29-2023, 05:48 AM

It is a muscle tapeworm that ends up in a person's liver and can be fatal. I've been told that normal tapeworm type medications aren't successful in treatment. A guy down here in southern Alberta got it and was very sick for quite awhile. Many of us that were doing coyotes all winter went and got the ultrasound to check for it and none was found..scary . For the price that coyotes are bringing now I won't be saving fur this year but won't stop killing em . Many of the pups down here have mange, it's not gonna be pretty this year .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2023, 06:33 AM

Here is an article about it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...osis-1.6069818

I met a woman in the Westlock area a few years ago, she lives on a farm. She caught this thing before people really knew what it was about. She said she came very close to dying.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:17 AM

Had 2 yotes come in the other day when I was out calling, I plugged the first one in but the 2nd one got away, it had very dark fur and was the bigger of the 2, it was lagging behind the 1st one and I didn't see it until after I shot the 1st one. It's probably educated now but tomorrow I'll give it another go, maybe it dumbed up a bit and will come back to the call.

Was going to go out today but we have wind 25km already and by mid morning supposed to be gusting to 50km, crappy for sitting in the brush and for calling.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:21 AM

Thanks All...if I get him 5 feet away with the camera might be the closest I get to Fur handleing...lol
Old 11-29-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Thanks All...if I get him 5 feet away with the camera might be the closest I get to Fur handleing...lol
There's thousands of coyotes killed every year in Canada nevermind the states and there is extremely few cases of people getting this tapeworm. Just don't eat it's crap and wash your hands and you will be completely fine.
As for the weight only the HUGE coyotes get up to 50 lbs most really big coyotes that people see end up being mid 40's I thought I killed lots of big coyotes until I started taking a scale coyote hunting. Turns out high 30's is the avg weight for "big" coyotes in my area.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-29-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
There's thousands of coyotes killed every year in Canada nevermind the states and there is extremely few cases of people getting this tapeworm. Just don't eat it's crap and wash your hands and you will be completely fine.
As for the weight only the HUGE coyotes get up to 50 lbs most really big coyotes that people see end up being mid 40's I thought I killed lots of big coyotes until I started taking a scale coyote hunting. Turns out high 30's is the avg weight for "big" coyotes in my area.
You got a point as im sure I got a better chance of dieing in my truck getting there than i do from the worm...lol
Old 11-29-2023, 08:01 PM

A big coyote is 40 lbs plus, 50 is gigantic. And if they stretch out across the tailgate, that's awesome. As for the parasite thing, just use common sense. Handle always with gloves, or do the garbage bag raid thing. Wash hands after handling, don't touch your eyes or nose or face kinda thing right after.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:20 PM

I agree with tikka250.

I also carry a digital scale and have shot plenty of coyotes since carrying it. My heaviest is 42 lbs. he was what looked and felt like a 50 lber, but not even close. He was old and had broken canine teeth but was very healthy and had plenty of fat. Most pups are in the high 20's and lower 30's for poundage. Still all too heavy for me to pack out. I can skin one in 15 minutes on the spot, so why carry or drag.

I use disposable gloves ( I pack those out in a sealed baggy) and then use sanitizer on everything that came in touch with the coyote.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:12 AM

I have been hunting and calling coyotes since the mid 80's and I must agree that a 50 lb coyote is about as rare as a 16 lb Canada goose, I would never say that they don't exist but they are not very common.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:25 AM

Like many of you I've taken a pile of coyotes ,the parasite thing has been with us forever ,but know has come to light like other things we should.or shouldnt do we.just need to.be careful... lots of coyotes appear huge and I've weighed some I thought were at least 50 and only 2 have reached the mark ,one was gutted full of meat from a fresh deer kill ...the other was just plain huge ,wolfish characteristics even down to pelt color and texture . When I first saw him in the snare I thought that is what we had .

Old 11-30-2023, 06:48 AM

That’s a cool looking coyote. Wall hanger for sure.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Like many of you I've taken a pile of coyotes ,the parasite thing has been with us forever ,but know has come to light like other things we should.or shouldnt do we.just need to.be careful... lots of coyotes appear huge and I've weighed some I thought were at least 50 and only 2 have reached the mark ,one was gutted full of meat from a fresh deer kill ...the other was just plain huge ,wolfish characteristics even down to pelt color and texture . When I first saw him in the snare I thought that is what we had .

Interesting looking coyote...not much brown in the fur.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
That’s a cool looking coyote. Wall hanger for sure.
He's hanging.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:32 AM

I spent 5 years in high level a big dog can get to 60 lbs up there. Often thought it was a subspecies compared to the dogs I shot or trapped on the farm in the New Sarepta area. Wolves up there are pretty darn big as well.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:16 PM

Just saw a Facebook post of a guy with a 61.72 lbs coyote… you can tell it has something wrong with it, thyroid or something else but it’s a beast and he has a picture of the scale.

LC
Old 12-18-2023, 12:22 PM

I shot a big song dog ~5 yrs ago in Millarville, 53 lbs on the scale IIRC.

It was huge, another member here (former trapper & lots of experience with yotes) said it was the biggest coyote he ever saw.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:41 PM

When I trapped I skinned a lot of coyotes without any health issues. Biggest coyote I have personally trapped was 46lbs. There is bigger out there for sure but they can be deceiving when they have a good thick coat
Old 12-18-2023, 01:39 PM

Just shot a 50lb male today! Heaviest flea bag I have ever killed. Hung him on my scale to confirm and he was right at 50lbs. Absolutely full of fleas!
Old 12-18-2023, 01:51 PM

Heres a pic of the coyote and the scale. Thats a 28" barrel on that 12g

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2023, 02:27 PM

Big dog, mate. Well done!