Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 08:24 PM

Default What To Get For Sleeping Accommodations ?

Hey guys I need some help in deciding in what kind of sleeping arrangements I should get. I would only be using it during hunting season Sept-end of Nov. Couple of nights at a time due to work. Here is what I have now.
1) My work 7x14 cargo trailer that I could use with a wood stove. Pros are lots of room. Cons are stinks of gas and dirt etc... Big to tow
2) Old canvas cabin tent that I could add a stove jack and make a hot tent
3) sleep in the back seat of the extended cab. Did that once and not very comfy and trying to get out to pee is a real pain.
My other options are to buy one of those 5man military arctic bell tent,
8x10 wall tent or some other style of bell tent that would accommodate a stove. Or a Tipi tent.
So with all that said, I am not looking to spend huge money.
What would you suggest ?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM

How much work is it to set up your old canvas cabin tent? If it's not too bad I would go with that, but if it is a lot of work might not be worth it for just a couple of days at a time. Quicker set up new tent might work better for you.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:57 PM

Sleeping in a truck sux
Old 09-23-2020, 09:31 PM

I would put one of these in the enclosed trailer.

https://propanedepot.ca/product/empi...-wall-furnace/

After trying a wood stove in my 26 foot enclosed trailer I put the 25,000 BTU
Version of the above in it. It’s lots of heat even in the non insulated trailer.

Use a cot. Stay off the floor
Old 09-23-2020, 09:45 PM

Sleep in your truck, measure from the back of the seat to how far you can move your seats ahead. Then cut your self a piece of none smelling ply wood for that space.Get proper plywood not that sticken press board crap.

Then once the plywood is in, measure how far from the floor to the edge of your ply wood with one block on each end for legs, then a real good foam .I use the gel pad that rolls up and a 5 inch thick foam. Couple pillows and good to go,i used hinges on my plywood so I could fold it up and keep in the cab with my sleeping gear.

I slept in trucks up to 40 below,just need a good bag and start your truck ever few hours if it's really cold.When moose were yarding up I would move 50 miles until I located a large group and stock them down.

At night just dry all your clothing in the front with the window down a bit,and never leave it idle while sleeping.I know you know all of this,but some on here may not.

If you have to crawl out for a leak you have a solid base to roll out of, just a plane seat is hard on the back and not a good way to go,this way you can sleep at an angle and stretch right out.Old tents are mold pits and for just a few days ,I would do this.If you got a spare battery bring it.I warm my food right on my tail gate, all meals prepared at home ready to go.

If you travel far from your truck you can always tuck it away where no on see's it with no sign of you around if your on crown land.If hunting is slow just drive to your next spot sleep and get up and hunt.

BEST OF LUCK
JD

Last edited by JD848; 09-23-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:09 PM

What ever you do...remember carbon monoxide kills.

https://www.amazon.ca/First-Alert-CO...ag=googcana-20

Cheap way to save a life.

Be safe out there!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-23-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Sleep in your truck, measure from the back of the seat to how far you can move your seats ahead. Then cut your self a piece of none smelling ply wood for that space.Get proper plywood not that sticken press board crap.

Then once the plywood is in, measure how far from the floor to the edge of your ply wood with one block on each end for legs, then a real good foam .I use the gel pad that rolls up and a 5 inch thick foam. Couple pillows and good to go,i used hinges on my plywood so I could fold it up and keep in the cab with my sleeping gear.

I slept in trucks up to 40 below,just need a good bag and start your truck ever few hours if it's really cold.When moose were yarding up I would move 50 miles until I located a large group and stock them down.

At night just dry all your clothing in the front with the window down a bit,and never leave it idle while sleeping.I know you know all of this,but some on here may not.

If you have to crawl out for a leak you have a solid base to roll out of, just a plane seat is hard on the back and not a good way to go,this way you can sleep at an angle and stretch right out.Old tents are mold pits and for just a few days ,I would do this.If you got a spare battery bring it.I warm my food right on my tail gate, all meals prepared at home ready to go.

If you travel far from your truck you can always tuck it away where no on see's it with no sign of you around if your on crown land.If hunting is slow just drive to your next spot sleep and get up and hunt.

BEST OF LUCK
JD

I did very similar to JD but I bought a cheap truck topper and laid my plywood sideways just behind the cab 4' X ?? had lots of room and covered it with 4 or 6" foam (was a long time ago). Also bought a small catalytic heater and a 15# propane tank. Lived in it for about 9 months and never filled the little tank if I remember correctly. Had a pump up white gas stove a few pots and pans and 2 REALLY good sleeping bags....slept like a baby and never had to worry about the bears at night..
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
What ever you do...remember carbon monoxide kills.

https://www.amazon.ca/First-Alert-CO...ag=googcana-20

Cheap way to save a life.

Be safe out there!
X2, I would never sleep in no cargo trailer unless I have a window and would be very careful in any truck specially if your idling and fall a sleep.The wind can circle and gas you out.If your the type that can't stay awake while it's idling ,not a good thing to use for even only just one night.

JD
Old 09-23-2020, 10:34 PM

Hands down, the trailer with wood stove. Quick setup. Most weatherproof. Use a cot.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Hands down, the trailer with wood stove. Quick setup. Most weatherproof. Use a cot.
Hey nothing wrong with that also, but I like a proper door and ventilation of some sort plus no smell of gas or anything that stinks,.Wood is the best heat,but it has it pros and cons in a 7x14 air tight joint.

JD
Old 09-23-2020, 11:10 PM

I’ve done 2 and 3 (very similar to what JD said). Also have a SO cimmaron with stove. This summer we did a trip in the wife’s xterra with a big air mattress in the back. Would never be able to sleep smelling gas, so I’d pass on that trailer.

It really depends on how you hunt. Setting up canvas is time consuming and stuff can get stolen or wrecked, but it’s more live-able, especially if you enjoy camp time and real food/cooking meals and get up a lot at night. Can’t really pack it in anywhere without horses or quads.

Trucks back seat with mattress is quick and easy especially if you are hunting within a few km from roads, but not much room to move around, change, wash, eat, etc. It works but gets old quick especially if you have a bad weather day.

Cimmaron is highly mobile and very comfortable, but expensive and adds weight to the pack. Definitely wouldn’t leave it sitting around somewhere it could be seen easily as I’m sure it would grow legs.

For a few nights, the xterra was the best hands down. What 6.5 said basically is the same idea and is actually a pretty popular option, there have been several articles online recently about it. One was on the wired to hunt site.

I keep my food supply limited to oatmeal, mountain house, jerky and various energy bars. No space for dishes etc. just bring a jetboil.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:06 AM

What about those Napier truck tents? anybody have experience with those? They are reasonably priced and looks easy enough to put up and take down when you want to move.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:30 PM

The army bell tent sets up,super fast and with a wood stove you’ll be toasty.
They hate rain though.

I was sleeping in a cargo trailer last night but no gassy smell. So it was very nice.

Look at the Chinese deisel heaters to heat the cargo trailer. I bought one but haven’t set it up yet.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:52 AM
Gone Hunting

I don't know what is best for you, or anyone besides myself, all I can do is tell you the solution I came up with for my situation.

When I started doing gun shows I soon found that renting hotel rooms sucked up any profit I made, I needed alternative sleeping arrangements.

First I tried sleeping in my truck. A four door Nissan Titan. I found all the pitfalls already mentioned.

So I bought an old slide in camper for $300.00

Tents were out of the question since the best available spaces were parking lots at the shows.
Pull type campers are too awkward when trying to find ones way around an unfamiliar community. So a slide in worked best for me.

One thing, it was a do-it-yourself special. It needed a lot of work and still does. But it did the trick for the past three seasons.

This summer I acquired a much newer slide in camper. A 10 foot Kodiac.

It also needs work but the shell is all fiberglass so it will never leak.

What it needs is a good cleaning. It got caught in a flood and has a couple of inches of silt dried on the floor. Plus the appliances were water damaged.
But the price was right.

It cost me fuel to retrieve it from the bush where it ended up after floating for about six miles. That was my purchase price.
The owner didn't want it, thought it would cost more then it was worth to restore it and for him it probably would.

But I have an older 26 foot pull type that I can take appliances out of and the skills to fix the rest of the issues.

So for me an older slide in was the perfect solution.

Comfortable, easy access, no set up time, no trailer to pull. 15 minutes to load or unload from truck.
If I were to use it for hunting I could pull a skidoo trailer to retrieve any game I might bag.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-25-2020, 03:39 AM

This is coming from a guy that has pretty much lived in a sleeper in back of my Kenworth cab most of my life.

Until recently when i decided now i live in the city due to medical reasons a small car will work, ive had pickups all my adult life. Dont need it but sure miss my pickups. Might trade the lil car off yet.

Anyway i did mine up exactly like JD848 did except i left my sheet of plywood in, setup permanently. You can store stuff under it out of prying eye site as well.
Even at my old age i would still sleep in a setup like he said easily and and im over 6 foot tall. Personally i sure couldnt do a tent as i got trouble getting up off the floor if im playing with my grandkids even.

Last edited by cranky; 09-25-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Sleeping in a truck sux
No more trucks with an 8 ft. bed, like the song.

Grizz
Old 09-25-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
No more trucks with an 8 ft. bed, like the song.

Grizz
Yup! The back of my truck is too short from even me and in only 5’6”!
Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 AM

Only you know what will meet your needs and the draw backs....I know the frustration.....I have tried them all...

If you have a slide-in camper then it goes with you where ever you drive to. But it frees up the option a utility trailer for your stuff.

A pull behind RV trailer, then you set up a base camp but it will free up your box for gear, game and quad.

One thing I know is, no more tenting for me and and a bed in the back of my truck is for an emergency.

All 4 have their advantages and disadvantages. I am guessing; but for $500-$1,000, I imagine you can have your choice.

It has been a fun ride learning.....

Too soon old, too late smart...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:54 AM

I like what JD848 said - and for solo hunts, I think that would suit me perfectly. For longer stays, I could put up a tarp to help with the elements, if required.

I was musing about this option while driving around with my boys, and they responded with, "Dad, I don't think it's a good idea for you to go on solo hunts anymore... You're kinda getting up there in age..."

Love those guys.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Yup! The back of my truck is too short from even me and in only 5’6”!
If you utilize the space between the back seat and the front seat moved forward you get an extra 6 inches of leg room. I am 7 inches taller then you and I have room to stretch, but you need to put the plywood in it ,if you haven't then yes it's a tight fit.

No perfect system for just a couple days, a slide in camper ,but I need my box to carry stuff. If you want to hunt for just a few days my brother has an artic oven,i can use it anytime and have it.

My luck if I borrowed it,it would grow legs and out around 3k I think.

I I am looking for a perfect bed I get up 3 hours earlier and drive it,done that deal plenty from home.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Hey guys I need some help in deciding in what kind of sleeping arrangements I should get. I would only be using it during hunting season Sept-end of Nov. Couple of nights at a time due to work. Here is what I have now.
1) My work 7x14 cargo trailer that I could use with a wood stove. Pros are lots of room. Cons are stinks of gas and dirt etc... Big to tow
2) Old canvas cabin tent that I could add a stove jack and make a hot tent
3) sleep in the back seat of the extended cab. Did that once and not very comfy and trying to get out to pee is a real pain.
My other options are to buy one of those 5man military arctic bell tent,
8x10 wall tent or some other style of bell tent that would accommodate a stove. Or a Tipi tent.
So with all that said, I am not looking to spend huge money.
What would you suggest ?
Thanks

Nearest small town motel. Warm, shower, likely a restaurant nearby. For longer stays you can often rent a apartment, house etc. Everything else is a step down in comfort and/or convenience. My take, since you have the cargo trailer already, clean it out well, use an ozone machine to get rid of the gas smell and rig it out with a oil or wood heater. Drop it off somewhere close to where you are hunting, come back there to sleep and cook. Since you can lock it, a lot more secure than an unattended tent.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:39 AM

One option not mentioned here, is a nice insulated pop up ice fishing tent. This coupled with a smaller wood stove, radiant propane or even electric heat is fabulous. I’ve done it with wood stove and I like it best. Quick easy set up and tear down. Wet clothing drive overnight when hung up. Don’t even get me started about how good this setup is ice fishing lol.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:08 PM

If u already have the 7x12 trailer, why not replace the wood walls in it and insulate, add a few creature comforts and be done. I think replacing the wood, would get rid of the smell. There's lots of cargo trailer conversions on Google, and I'm in the first stage of doing this (research). Just make sure you put ventilation (roof vent) and a CO2 monitor
Old 09-25-2020, 12:14 PM

Default Sleeping quarters

I just spent the last 7 nights sleeping in the canopy of my truck. I made a plywood bed that sits on two job boxes ( full of gear, double duty, and also allowed for storage between them). By making the my bed half as wide as the truck bed I was able to stretch out while laying on an angle. I’m 5,11 and the truck bed only 5,6”. It’s far from perfect but it was warm and dry and I didn’t have to worry as much about bears Messing with my gear as we were surrounded with them ( There’s one less out there now). Not sure how I’m going to handle November’s cold this year?! Keep the ideas coming everyone!!
Old 09-25-2020, 12:18 PM

Default Canopy camping

With that said, keeping dust out of a canopy is almost impossible!!! I bought new tailgate seals and stuffed foam into every opening I could find: around tailgate , under box rim, in drainage holes And still had dust get in. Next time I’m bringing a small cordless vacuum. Lol
Old 09-25-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
I just spent the last 7 nights sleeping in the canopy of my truck. I made a plywood bed that sits on two job boxes ( full of gear, double duty, and also allowed for storage between them). By making the my bed half as wide as the truck bed I was able to stretch out while laying on an angle. I’m 5,11 and the truck bed only 5,6”. It’s far from perfect but it was warm and dry and I didn’t have to worry as much about bears Messing with my gear as we were surrounded with them ( There’s one less out there now). Not sure how I’m going to handle November’s cold this year?! Keep the ideas coming everyone!!

If you want to sleep in the canopy in the cold, you need a really good sleeping bag and something like a Kerosene space heater for a quick morning warm up before you have to roll out of the sack. Still have one that we used for years in the cargo trailer and canopy of the truck. The new Little Buddy Ice shelter heater might work well too.

I still have this model too for use in cabins, large tents etc.

Old 09-25-2020, 02:23 PM

I've run a Napier style tent off the back of my SUV. Not too much in the way of complaints, but I did find it annoying having to open a tent to access gear in the back of the SUV.

Currently have a roof top tent hard shell. The RTT is ideal for mild weather, I sleep incredibly well and all of my sleep stuff says in it. 1 minute open 2 minute close and I'm gone. I don't bother with a ladder either, just scramble up the side off the tire. That said, as soon late Oct/Nov rolls around and we see -5 or below lows I tend to go for the Seek Outside Tipi with Stove. If truck camping, I pair it with a Coleman ComfortSmart Cot. Scrap the crappy sleeping pad it comes with and get a Thermarest MondoKing 3d and it's absolute luxury sleeping.

With that said, cost, convenience, comfort and weight usually have an intrinsic relationship.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
If u already have the 7x12 trailer, why not replace the wood walls in it and insulate, add a few creature comforts and be done. I think replacing the wood, would get rid of the smell. There's lots of cargo trailer conversions on Google, and I'm in the first stage of doing this (research). Just make sure you put ventilation (roof vent) and a CO2 monitor
Those are must-haves, for sure!

As for the smell in the existing wood, there's a few things you can do - even something as simple as making a spray with vinegar and water (or leaving pails of vinegar in the trailer for a while) can help reduce the odors. Another option is using a primer such as Kilz, and repainting the interior. And as mentioned before, an ozone generator running in there for a day or two should make a difference. Even leaving the cargo doors open, facing into the sun for a few days would help (if you can do that without risking it getting stolen or vandalized)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
With that said, keeping dust out of a canopy is almost impossible!!! I bought new tailgate seals and stuffed foam into every opening I could find: around tailgate , under box rim, in drainage holes And still had dust get in. Next time I’m bringing a small cordless vacuum. Lol
I just installed a seal like that for the Tundra from Canuck Tire - the reduction in dust under my tonneau was incredible. Will see how it holds out over time!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:17 PM

I should mention that this is my work trailer that I carry landscaping and mowers and other small equipment and it sure gets filthy with wet grass, mud and spilt fuel. I am a few months away from 60 and have a lot of old age symptoms and pains as well as a CPAP. The heart says otherwise but the body dictates . I found an 8'x8' 70's or 80's canvas woods weekender umbrella tent. I set it up in less than 5 minutes. it is in good condition, but sure smells strong. I am not sure if I could put a small wood stove in it or maybe a Kerosene heater for cold nights.
Still not sure what to do. I just might change the wood floor and make it comfy cozy. The other problem like mentioned earlier is that on gravel roads it sure collect a ton of dust inside even with good seals.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:51 PM
Banned

As for dust and gravel roads, the roof vent I have will tilt open to the front, back or both ends straight up. When open to the direction of travel. it pressurizes the cabin, keeping out almost all the dust..Opened the other way, creates a negative pressure and no matter how you seal it.....it will suck in the dust...FWIW....????