Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2014, 09:59 PM

Question 600+ Pound Gun Safe...

Any of you guys ever man handled\dollyed in a 600+ pound safe into your house with a buddy?...Just wondering if it's more then a 2 man Job?

Any good recommendations on a gun safe in that 600+ pound range?

Thanks,WJ
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 PM

definitely a two very big man job or more likely 3 man job. They suck to move period! Have fun.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:08 PM

It is a very big job. Save for lots of pizza, beer and robaxacet.

I would suggest at least 3 guys.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:08 PM

Depending on the make, you can remove the door & haul it down separately. Wish I would have realized that before we got it downstairs. 845 lbs with 2 guys above & 2 guys below as well as a dally from the pallet to the stair railing. Good luck. The door removed makes it way easier!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 PM

I actually put two down, with a dolly by myself, I wouldn't advise it.!! Don't think it helped my cause at all. The worst thing was after I took them out of the cardboard, I found one of them had been dropped at the store on its corner, and would not open or unlock, so I hauled the POS back up the stairs and back to the store, I made sure the next one opened before I muscled it down the stairs. Live and learn I guess.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:14 PM

Mine went down a flight of stairs and took 4 guys. (3 men and my 16 year old son, at the time)
Old 07-04-2014, 10:18 PM

I did mine with myself and 1 guy over wood plank steps (new house) and down 20 steps. Took an hour or two using an electric dolly. 70$ rental from 4 way in Edmonton. Even loaded onto tailgate.

If you're in the area I can probably lend a hand.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:23 PM

Geez....Thanks for the advise everyone...When the day comes,i'll be for sure calling Both brother inlaws and a friend or Three
Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegar View Post
I did mine with myself and 1 guy over wood plank steps (new house) and down 20 steps. Took an hour or two using an electric dolly. 70$ rental from 4 way in Edmonton. Even loaded onto tailgate.

If you're in the area I can probably lend a hand.
Thanks anyways,but i'm a Southern Man about 6 hours from Edmonton.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 AM

Four of us moved my 880lb liberty safe. Use your head as well as your back.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:51 AM

Default moving safe

TAKE door off it should be around 175 the weight of a big buck,then take out the insides if possible and get few boards and a good drag blanket and slide it down the stairs ,put it on the drag blanket and your off to the races,put the door on is hardest part because you don't want to damage the paint,if you can rig up something to the sealing like the block in tackle you use for your buck so you can a line the door or leave it whole with few guys should be piece of cake, good luck. .slide it don't lift it until you have to stand it.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:14 AM

Yup, might want to check around for an electric dolly rental. Will make things so much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyb7CohgbFk
Old 07-05-2014, 03:26 AM

Default 600 ib save

Save your back I moved 3 safes into my basement in 10 years . Largest was 650 ibs FATBOY and the last one we did last year . we used a electric stair climber and it took just my son and I to move it into the basement , Worked great . Hardest thing was to get the safe sideways and to get it angeled onto the step climber . don't think anyone will get it out of my basement now with more than 40 rifles in it.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Banned

Default good to go

Take the rifles out of it,before you need to move it!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:41 AM

This is why you buy a house with a walkout basement lol
Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter17 View Post
X2!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Or just build a walk in gun room, with fireproof walls, and a vault door. I am going that route with my retirement home.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 AM

The biggest I ever moved was in the 3000 pound range. In spite of it being quite a monster it was actually pretty easy ( no stairs of course ).

Given a choice between a dolly or straps, most pro's will go with straps. Dollies are rigid and don't give you alot of choices as to how to deal with them. Straps are near infinitely adjustable so you can avoid the awkward back breaking positions that a dolly can get you into. After a certain weight however a dolly or carrier becomes a necessity. Try to use the biggest one you can find. The taller it is the less you have to bend over or down in order to be able to work it, ie: you don't break your back trying to move it. The electric versions with the stair climber function are great. Just remember however that you need to calculate the weight of the machine AND the safe vs the thickness of the stairs to see if it's going to work or make a huge Bang sound half way down.

Mine is an old ATM shell. Straight steel, no fireproofing, 1/4" armor with double dials and dual key locks, close to 500 pounds. 2 of us managed it up 4 stairs. From there we just used wooden rollers to move it around and in place. 1" or larger wood is fine up to 750'ish depending on the surface. Past that you'll usually want to start using steel bar.

If in doubt call a pro. It's not free but neither is physio. Your back will thank you in the end.

BTW call around to your local locksmiths and used office furniture shops. They can be a great source for bargain safes and most are either equipped to move or well connected to get you the best price delivered and installed.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
And consider the load on the main floor.

Grizz
Old 07-05-2014, 10:24 AM

Another thing to be aware of is that a stairwell is not meant to take the weight of a big safe and four men. We have always spent some time and braced the stairs first.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:33 PM

When moving the safe , also take a look if your warranty is void if you take the door off. I know in my Winchester safe the warranty is void if the door is taken off . I don't know how anyone would know? But that's what it says ...
Old 07-05-2014, 11:36 PM

That's why I never took my door off
Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Wingenback ....

To do it right call Wingenback. Their specialty is moving very large bank vaults.

While I was with a former company we hired them to move huge computer systems installed in large metal cabinets to the second floor of our office building. They know their stuff. Not a scratch on the tile floors, not a rub on a wall or door frame.

You want the best, you pay full price, no dickering ... They could save your back from permanent damage.

Dick
Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 PM

I've got a 3000 lb one and have moved it 4 times. Once it's unloaded I do the rest myself. 2 floor jacks some 2x6 and away I go. Mine has casters on it.was a bank vault.Last move I had I had B&R trucking use a 70 foot picker and set it on my deck. Did the rest myself.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 AM

If the friend you use to help you take it downstairs owes you money, make sure he's not at the bottom of the safe.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM

I moved mine down to the basement of my old house with 2 buddies. Definately made a few holes in the walls. When I moved out of the house a couple months ago, I hired some guys off kijiji to move it out of the basement and into my temporary storage unit.

Best $200 I ever spent.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 AM

My 750 pounder I set in the house with the bobcat and then my 4' 10" 95 pound wife and myself moved it into the room. Nothing to it got the wife wound up good and tight and she pretty much put it where I wanted it...

Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 07-25-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Or just build a walk in gun room, with fireproof walls, and a vault door. I am going that route with my retirement home.
Me too! I am going to be buying a big fireproof safe for now, but it is going in the garage, with a forklift!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone