Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM

Default minkota & 14ft. alluminum

what shaft & thrust have fellow members found to be useful for a day of trolling and getting from point a - b . whats the best battery . this is only minkota- no gas pusher.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 PM

we're talking normal lake wake here and 3 fishmen onboard . one @ 350# , 2@ 340# . thank you .
Old 09-16-2008, 09:52 AM

I run a 46lb thrust Minnkota Endura on my 12' aluminum and it scoots along quite nicely with 2 adults and 2 kids. It's got 5 speeds and I usually troll on speed #3 in calm to slightly breezy conditions. I use a 115 amp hour Kirkland Signature deep cycle battery from Costco and it's enough to last all day, maybe 2 days. High speed running and windy conditions can drain the battery much faster.

I have an old Chrysler outboard but the electric is nice and quiet, powerful enough for the fishing I do, and doesn't leak gas and oil into the water... I haven't used the outboard in years.

Last edited by jpohlic; 09-16-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM

I run a similar set up. Except I have th 46# trust Motorguide, and I'm running two deep cycle 1000 amp marine batts from wallmart. I think the kirkland signature batts were $90 at costco (please correct me if I'm wrong). The batts I got from wallmart are energizer brand and they cost me 70 bucks or less, but may have been on sale.

I troll with my motorguide on the slowest speed, second speed is two fast enless you are draging the kitchen sink. If your after walleye then troll between 1 and two miles per hour if you have a GPS. Closer to 1mph the beter, especially now that the water is cooling down. I'm running a 14 ft boat with two or three people (none of which are over 200#'s) To burn a battery in a day it would have to run on bust for 10-12 hours id say. I've never burnt out a battery in a day and In the summer I'm usually putting in 18-20 hours on the lake (just not trolling the whole time). I run a 15 horse to go longer distances, I wouldn't recommend relying on a trolling motor to cover a very big lake if your boat is heavy. I always have paddles/oars aboard too. Hope this helps, tight lines out there, enjoy the new toy!

Oh on the 5th speed my trolling motor pushes the 14ft boat with 3 people very well, not sure on velocity though. I'd guess between 5 and 8 miles per hour, could be beter than that even.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 PM

thanks for the info guys . looks like a 40# plus minny & a good marine battery is all good . thanks again-- tight lines .