Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2024, 07:40 PM

Default Stuck in a rut of choices for new Dedicated Deer/sheep rifle

Im looking for another rifle for fall... lightweight... dedicated for deer/sheep.. but will do elk and moose in a pinch. But those last two are what my 300bee amd 338wm are in the safe for if only big ungulates were on the menu

Been looking at the vangaurd Talon and 2 versions of the MKV Hunter
Light as hell. . Removable brake.

I am a capable shooter as much of a averege joe hunter... i can and do take shots 400 to 600 yards with confidence. I can shoot the heavy recoilers well unbraked and enjoy doing so.

With that little tidbit about myself.. these are my choices that are wrecking my brain. Cost of ammunition on specific rounds i am well aware of is a bit crazy.

6.5creedmoore
6.5 PRC
6.5-300
257 weatherby mag

This is going to be a gift to myself. Where i spend more than i normally would on something that sits in the safe until its Go Time.... and going to spend a decent chunk of coin on glass. With a dial the range system like a CDS ZL.

I have never owned any one of these rounds. The romance to be an addition to my 300 bee by getting a 257bee is high.. i under stande its Big $$$$$ and reloading these days doesnt really save u any money .

Please those with experience.. sell me these cartridges with pros and cons. 257bee was the original choice though. The 6.5 PRC just sounds good and i read somewhere is beats a 300WinMag in energy past 500 yards..impressive