Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Default Pigeon water level

Heard the water level is low this year. How low is the water at the provicial boat docks
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 AM

I disagree. Water level is strong and if anything on the high side especially after the rain we just had.

Provincial park boat launch is fine
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Water levels are higher than last year on the Mulhurst side where we are...so i am thinking that would be the same all over!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 07-17-2012, 04:47 PM

Apparently the water is at a 20 year high. From what I have heard there is a weir off the outlet of the lake and for the first time in 20 years water is flowing over the top. I'll be curious to see how the algae turns out this year.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Apparently the water is at a 20 year high. From what I have heard there is a weir off the outlet of the lake and for the first time in 20 years water is flowing over the top. I'll be curious to see how the algae turns out this year.
I was out in the boat over by Mam eo beach the other day and the Algae seems to be starting again...i would sure like to know why most of our lakes have to deal with that Algae problem...i know at Pigeon the whitefish seem to die off as the Algae gets worse,boating on a lake where the whitefish are belly up sure puts a stink in the air..if i was a guessing man,i would guess that part of the problem is chemical run off from the fields and such..just a guess mind you!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 PM

tried launching at fisherhome for the first time in years and had no issues with a 16.4'
cheers
Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 PM

Default The water is high

We have had a lot at an RV park just south of Mulhurst for 13 years now. I just came back from a walk down to our boat launch, and the water is as high as I ever remember seeing it. Very little sign of algae, at least from shore anyway.

Jim
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Heard the water level is low this year. How low is the water at the provicial boat docks
Not sure who you heard that from , they must be blind of basing you , water is high from what it normally is , it's a nice change .
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
I was out in the boat over by Mam eo beach the other day and the Algae seems to be starting again...i would sure like to know why most of our lakes have to deal with that Algae problem...i know at Pigeon the whitefish seem to die off as the Algae gets worse,boating on a lake where the whitefish are belly up sure puts a stink in the air..if i was a guessing man,i would guess that part of the problem is chemical run off from the fields and such..just a guess mind you!
your right that agriculture affects the water qaulity. Pigeon lake is largley supplid by run off. In addition for the size of the lake it is pretty stagnant. As mentioned the outlet is a mere trickle.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerAB View Post
We have had a lot at an RV park just south of Mulhurst for 13 years now. I just came back from a walk down to our boat launch, and the water is as high as I ever remember seeing it. Very little sign of algae, at least from shore anyway.

Jim
about 7 or 8 years ago before we had the drought i would say it may have been higher. I can walk up and down the beach at my place and I remember havign no beach at all. The shoreline is ever changing as the ice shapes it every spring so my memory and guidline may be off too.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
about 7 or 8 years ago before we had the drought i would say it may have been higher. I can walk up and down the beach at my place and I remember havign no beach at all. The shoreline is ever changing as the ice shapes it every spring so my memory and guidline may be off too.
They are still Low but better than in the last couple of years. For those interested I would suggest giving the "Pigeon Lake Watershed Association" website a visit.
http://www.plwa.ca/pages/documents

Taken from "Hydrologic Assessment of Pigeon Lake
Hydrogeology, Water Quality, and Water Balance"

"A hydrologic assessment of Pigeon Lake was completed in October 2009 for the Pigeon Lake
Watershed Association. Lake levels have generally declined from an historical high of approximately
850.63 metres above sea level (masl) in July 1981 to a low of approximately 849.4 masl in September
2009. At the same time, agricultural land use intensity in the Pigeon Lake watershed has increased,
both in terms of livestock populations and cropland area, resulting in an increased nutrient input to the
lake. When the lake is below the weir crest, nutrients (especially phosphorus) are no longer flushed
from the lake. If the lake levels continue to decline, eutrophication in the form of algal blooms will
continue, and there will be serious and perhaps irreversible effects on the health of the lake’s aquatic
ecosystems. "

Last edited by cube; 07-18-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM

I'm going out to my cabin after work to Raise my dock for the second time this year. Water IS up. Thank Gawd!

Still low compared to about 16-17 years ago but happy to see it rising. These waters fluctuate considerably over the decades. Even with this year's welcomed increase the lake is still down 1.5 to 2 feet from about mid 90s.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM

At pigeon lake today. 2 dead whitefish that I could see from the dock. And it starts again