Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
absolutely not elistist IMHO...but rather a very, very poor salesman that is greatly limiting his value to the company.

I would not hesitate to say that he is the polar opposite of trying to upsell a prospective buyer... Downselling...now that is a great way to keep in business.

Rumor has it a Cabela's is coming to Edmonton. Is that true?
You said it Sun. And yes, apparently the construction has already started on the new Cabela's, and I already can't wait for them to be open!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great White Hype View Post
Geezle,
Just so you know, I also do not like using my credit card online. I found out that BPS website does allow the use of gift cards. Also, the product is likely cheaper (because of the USD) so even with shipping it may be cheaper to do it this way. I would suggest you run in and get yourself a gift card and do the purchase that way.

I would also think that whom ever you talked to didnt know what you were looking for, so he just threw out a quick answer to get you moving on. Its sad that some of these guys really have no idea....
Wow! Best. Idea. Ever.

I can't believe that i never thought of the gift card thing...BPS here I come!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman150 View Post
I have to commend the manager of the fishin hole. Went in on Saturday to buy a few things before our maiden voyage to the Bow. Was looking at nets and found one that was priced lower than the others on the rack (just happened to be the first one I picked up). I aked the guy behind the counter what was up with the price and he said it must be a mistake. Turns out it was the manager and he said he'd give it to me for the tagged price. I know alot of places would of said too bad, our mistake but this ain't the real price so pay up.... I know it was only $20 bucks but I still appreciated it and told him so.

Of course I had already told him that I was in for the sale a week or so earlier and I had dropped over $500 bucks there.

We told him we were new to fly fishing and peppered him with questions which he was more than happy to answer.

I know nowdays I have zero patience for stuff I buy that turns out to be built like crap so I always keep the reciepts and return it and always will voice my dissatisfaction so they know their products aren't up to par..
Actually, I think they HAVE to sell it to you for the lower tagged price, by law.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I realize that I look like a bit of a goon, but c'mon...

And for the record I have no problem sending back cold food at a restaurant...unless I'm *that* hungry and just don't care
You didn't look like a goon at all.

As for sending back food... not sure how you feel but I always worry a BIT when I do that... wonder what the chances are of me getting a "chef's loogie special" in my food. There are lots of morons out there.....
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
Actually, I think they HAVE to sell it to you for the lower tagged price, by law.
yah, I'll hire a lawyer to fight over $20 bucks.. Can't see there being a law to help the "little guy" consumer..
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Same old problem - what do you expect for minimum wage ? Most of these employees are wannabes , although some are true anglers. You get what you pay for , and if you don't like it , hire someone else if you can. Its the same in every business. A trip to management will only get you a " I'll look into it . " Been there , done that. No satisfaction.
Well isn't this an unbelievable comment to find under the subject heading of Elitist attitudes? These are fellow human beings and well.... I just don't agree with your comment. Rick.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I have to commend the manager of the fishin hole. Went in on Saturday to buy a few things before our maiden voyage to the Bow. Was looking at nets and found one that was priced lower than the others on the rack (just happened to be the first one I picked up). I aked the guy behind the counter what was up with the price and he said it must be a mistake. Turns out it was the manager and he said he'd give it to me for the tagged price. I know alot of places would of said too bad, our mistake but this ain't the real price so pay up.... I know it was only $20 bucks but I still appreciated it and told him so.

Of course I had already told him that I was in for the sale a week or so earlier and I had dropped over $500 bucks there.

We told him we were new to fly fishing and peppered him with questions which he was more than happy to answer.

I know nowdays I have zero patience for stuff I buy that turns out to be built like crap so I always keep the reciepts and return it and always will voice my dissatisfaction so they know their products aren't up to par..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You didn't look like a goon at all.

As for sending back food... not sure how you feel but I always worry a BIT when I do that... wonder what the chances are of me getting a "chef's loogie special" in my food. There are lots of morons out there.....
Oh please tell me you've seen the movie 'Waiting'!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
yah, I'll hire a lawyer to fight over $20 bucks.. Can't see there being a law to help the "little guy" consumer..
No need for a lawyer, all you need is a little knowledge, and the guts to stand up for your own rights as a consumer.

According to the Competition Bureau of Canada:

The Item Free Scanner Policy – The Retailers’ Promise of Price Accuracy.

If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price.

This is the link:

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/01262.html
Old 09-10-2010, 01:44 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
If you are in Calgary, I met Randy the fishing manager at Wholesale Sports in Deerfoot meadows and he's a great help. He's not condecending or arrogant and extremely knowlegable! Try talking to him if you are in there and you won't be disappointed!
Cheers
x2 w/ calgaryguy! Yeah Randy is awesome!! But I didn't know he's the manager... Go Randy!

I've once heard of a saying "customer service of a company is as good as the person who answers your call" or in other words assisting you. Which I found very true. Customer service has to be one of the toughest job to master...been there, obviously didn't master it, just hated it with a passion.

Which store were you @ Geezle? Pm me!

Got a similar story but non-fishing related. First day the Ipad was released, walked in to the blue computer electronics store to check it out. Asked the sales guy a few questions with the first whether it could be used with a rocketstick (or in other words go online). His response was a cold condescending reply of "THIS IS NOT A COMPUTER". Ummmm ok....... I think me with a computer background could figure out if its a computer or not, but that did not answer my question...that reply was definitely unexpected. Had to think he must have had a bad day and hated his job.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
No need for a lawyer, all you need is a little knowledge, and the guts to stand up for your own rights as a consumer.

If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price.

This is the link:

Tagged is not the same as scanned and I believe that Item free scanner policy is voluntary inclusion at this time. Most stotes that do partake in the program dont train there staff in it anyway so is usually a fight anyway. Stores that do include them selves are to have labeling on the tills explaining the program but most dont.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:

This is the link:

I was kidding about the lawyer. My point was that usually a person needs to twist the salespersons arm a bit to get them to honor the mistake, with the business hopeing that the consumer won't complain like a large percentage of consumers won't.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Oh please tell me you've seen the movie 'Waiting'!
don't get me started on the food service industry..

It's brutal now days when large tips are expected. I tip based on the service that I recieve not some preset percentage. If the food and service sucks that bad it's the last time a spend a penny in that establishment.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
don't get me started on the food service industry..

It's brutal now days when large tips are expected. I tip based on the service that I recieve not some preset percentage. If the food and service sucks that bad it's the last time a spend a penny in that establishment.
I'm with ya on that one. A tip is something to be earned, and not something to be demanded.

But that's another thread for another day

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 AM

Ate at a local pub the other day, me buddy orders sheppards pie that he had a hankering for for a long time. Dish shows up with maybe maybe a half ounce of gravy on it and I think I saw a pea or two mixed in there. Needless to say, as a chef, he was not impressed. Asked for a doggy bag and she tosses a stirophome(no idea how to spell that) container on the table. He just shook his head and put his whole plate in the container. Was quite funny to see her reaction on that one.
As we are leaving, the cook(for lack of better words) comes out to the front of the bar, scratches his hairy chest with the top 3 buttons of his chef coat wide open, and talks on his cell phone super loud in front of about 25 cliental, all staring at him. It was BRUTAL!! will never go back and am pretty sure anyone sitting in there at that time will do the same. Guess there is a reason their p.lot is always empty. Tsk tsk, server was super cute though so that helped