Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It was not as cold and raining as I was expecting. All in all a nice evening. Looks like we will go again on Saturday 1-3 pm. I think the perch have finished spawning as there were no large amounts of eggs in the traps and the perch seemed spawned out. Also the water is now 11 degrees. Perch start spawning between 8 and 9.

Since the perch have finished we don't seem to be catching a ton. Therefore probably don't need a pile of people out. The main thing is to have three guys help in the boat. I am not able to lead this Saturday but Goldscud is stepping in to be the team lead.

How many interested guys want to be in the boat for Saturday?
If there's a place for me on the boat I'll fill in again, but will let someone else take a turn if there's enough volunteers.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I managed to finish before midnight but I cheated and only gutted the 6-7 inchers, instead of filleting all of them. I managed to get three pounds of fillets. The smaller gutted ones sat in brine overnight and ready for the smoker today

I buried the big sucker in our front yard so it should be interesting if anything digs it up, I bet our neighbours were wondering what the hell we were doing with a big fish in our front yard

Did you get nice big fillets out of that 31cm?
Hopefully you weren't burying the sucker at midnight, you may have raised some suspicion

I'd be interested to know how you do the gutted ones. Maybe I'll bring a knife one time and ask you to give me a demo.

Here's the 31 cm perch turned into fillets.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB's View Post
Hopefully you weren't burying the sucker at midnight, you may have raised some suspicion

I'd be interested to know how you do the gutted ones. Maybe I'll bring a knife one time and ask you to give me a demo.

Here's the 31 cm perch turned into fillets.

Try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Packaging Sundance Perch May 26-2011 002.JPG (183.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM

cool vids buff. sure gives everyone a chance to see what is happening out there. did you learn a thing or two?

Dace
Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB's View Post
The secret is no knife, I use a pair of multi-purpose fish scissors. I got them in Finland and haven't really seen something similar here but then again I haven't really looked. However, a good pair of durable scissors would work too.

If I manage to make it out on Sat, I'll try and remember to bring them.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
The secret is no knife, I use a pair of multi-purpose fish scissors. I got them in Finland and haven't really seen something similar here but then again I haven't really looked. However, a good pair of durable scissors would work too.

If I manage to make it out on Sat, I'll try and remember to bring them.
Sounds interesting, I'd love to see your method. Have a great day!