Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2011, 12:27 AM

Default Charging A Deep Cycle Battery??

I have an electric trolling motor and deep cycle battery. Can I charge my deep cycle with booster cable attached to a running vehicle? I also have a battery charger for regular car batteries, will that work? Thanks
Trap

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Banned

I don't know about charging the battery from a running vehicle. I charge mine with a trickle charge (slow/low amps) from a battery charger. I believe that's what is recommended.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't know about charging the battery from a running vehicle. I charge mine with a trickle charge (slow/low amps) from a battery charger. I believe that's what is recommended.
How long does that take? If I fish in the morning, then trickle charge, will the battery be charged by evening?

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 08-19-2011, 01:40 AM

I bought a charger from canadian tire for 40 bucks that will. Charge at 2, 4 or 6 amps. When I set it to 6 it will charge my battery from dead to full in under 2 hours.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
I bought a charger from canadian tire for 40 bucks that will. Charge at 2, 4 or 6 amps. When I set it to 6 it will charge my battery from dead to full in under 2 hours.
I believe it is recomended to charge batteries at a slow rate to maximize there life. If they are charged fast the lead cells in them or what ever they use now break down faster.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
I have an electric trolling motor and deep cycle battery. Can I charge my deep cycle with booster cable attached to a running vehicle? I also have a battery charger for regular car batteries, will that work? Thanks
Trap
Yes it could be used but it will take some time. Most vehicles have small alternators that do not put out a lot until the motor is reving much faster than a fast idle.

Your charger will work as to how well depends on the size of it and the size of battery. The smaller the charger the longer the charge up time.

The biggest key to life of a deep cycle is the maintenance of it. Never leave it down on charge.

During the winter months just hook the charger up once a month.

I have a bunch of Wally mart dual use deep cycles that are 3 seasons old and I have yet have have any concerns.

I use a Crappytire 10 amp durring the summer and a 30 year old K-mart 3 amp trickle for the winter months.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM

I too have the same; trolling motor with a deep cycle. It takes forever to run down but I was advised by a few folk to charge it with a slow trickle charge (2amp) on my regular battery charger. Not sure about the booster cables.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 AM

I was just looking at CT and they've got a 10/2A charger on for $25.99. Quite possibly the cheapest you'll find.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM

In a pinch yes, you can recharge off your vehicle but this is bad for both the car and trolling battery. Pick up a charger at canadian tire - they are on sale right now. Get one that allows you to charge on "deep cycle" setting as well as gives the option of charging on 2a and 10a. I usually start my battery off on 10a for an hour or two then switch to 2a as it is a much slower charge that is better for the battery. You'd be ready to go again the next morning.

Call a place like battery doctors to see if you can use your regular car charger on a deep cycle. I think they'd say it's not ideal but certainly better than using your running car to charge up.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I was just looking at CT and they've got a 10/2A charger on for $25.99. Quite possibly the cheapest you'll find.
That is a good price but if you are some what like me cheap.
Garage sales durring the summer months.
Most times $10 or less will get you the same model. Cappy tire has sold a lot of chargers over the years.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowfloat View Post
That is a good price but if you are some what like me cheap.
Garage sales durring the summer months.
Most times $10 or less will get you the same model. Cappy tire has sold a lot of chargers over the years.
True story. But I need one today!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 AM

I would keep away from the Cdn. Tire batteries-been there done that, they do not last. The most important thing to ensure electric trolling motor enjoyment is the motor. Old technology eats the power quickly. Minn Kota uses a "Maxumizer" feature whereby the battery can now be used 3 days instead of 6-8 hrs (personal experience). I own a Traxxis model with this feature propelled by a "Rockys" battery and enjoy long weekends without a recharge needed.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM

I recommend a "Battery Tender" It charges at 2 amps and you can leave it hooked up all the time when not in use or winter store. It shuts off when the battery is fully charged so you won't over charge and when it looses charge it starts up and keeps your battery topped up. Slow charge is the best for deep cycle batteries.

In a pinch booster cables from truck to battery will work to charge. Something you won't want to do very often.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM

i charge as i tow....only use a battery charger in the winter to top them off
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
i charge as i tow....only use a battery charger in the winter to top them off
You are towing way too far.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I believe it is recomended to charge batteries at a slow rate to maximize there life. If they are charged fast the lead cells in them or what ever they use now break down faster.
Deep cycle are only ACM and gell battaries that are sealed.

Deep Cycle that arn't sealed. well that would be stupid if you bought one.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Go to candian Tire and get there Deep cycle charger like 59.99 and trickle Charge it at 2 Amps automatic and or 10 amps automatic.

To fully charge the battery depends on the Amp hours on the battery.

I have the Biggest Deep cycle battary you can buy there. 269.99 76lbs AGM Sealed.

Fully charged lasts me 9 hours of trolling with a 12 foot Inflatable and 55lb Minn Kota.

2 guys cooler and gear.

Now for charging it with your Truck... Well I wouldn't charge froom the truck but if you do your only gonna get about 4 hours out of it. . But i would do it if your in a pinch.

Also Buy an inverter and plug the charger into that while your camping and let it charge all night.

Heres a Link click it and read up on batterys
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Last edited by Tezma; 08-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:54 PM

I was at Princess Auto today and scooped up a little low profile 2/6/12A charger that came in a case for $30. I assume it should get the job done

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezma View Post
Go to candian Tire and get there Deep cycle charger like 59.99 and trickle Charge it at 2 Amps automatic and or 10 amps automatic.

To fully charge the battery depends on the Amp hours on the battery.

I have the Biggest Deep cycle battary you can buy there. 269.99 76lbs AGM Sealed.

Fully charged lasts me 9 hours of trolling with a 12 foot Inflatable and 55lb Minn Kota.

2 guys cooler and gear.

Now for charging it with your Truck... Well I wouldn't charge froom the truck but if you do your only gonna get about 4 hours out of it. . But i would do it if your in a pinch.

Also Buy an inverter and plug the charger into that while your camping and let it charge all night.

Heres a Link click it and read up on batterys
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
If you are only getting 9 hr out of your battery i would check the condition of your battery on my 16'crestliner I can run 2 full days plus thats with a 70lb 24v on my 12' jon i can also get 2 days plus with a 55lb 12v
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 PM

The AGM's charge faster but don't last as long. That coming from Minn Kota. I emailed them when looking for my batteries. They said not to get the sealed AGM. Won't last as long.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:58 AM

You could also used a controlled charger, that will drop the amps to the battery as the battery gets full. You get a fast charge that wont wreak anything.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Lots and lots of mistaken information on this thread. I would take it all with a big grain of salt.
Just say'n
Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Lots and lots of mistaken information on this thread. I would take it all with a big grain of salt.
Just say'n
So why don't you inform us all? We would love to hear it!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Charging ur battery on a low amp is best if its not maintaining ur charge it means ur neg post is electroplated and u can often "shock" with a high amperage charge if u get a battery that u can refill if i remember right when the battery is depleted use distilled water. And a diluted solution of sulphuric acid if the battery acid has spilled Its been some time since ive done alot of battery maintenance so...... The diluted solution should be slightly higher in specific gravity than that of water again its been a while but i think it should be roughly 1.25 where plain distilled water is 1.0

Have to add that electoplating is also commonly referred to as sulphated as car and rv batteries use a sulphuric acid electrolite solution

Last edited by alodar; 08-20-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:27 PM

How about one of those low watt solar cells. Anyone try that on there boat while fishing? We are mostly fishing during the day right. Does that recharge very good or not?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:16 PM

My question is what is a 13 yr old doing driving?

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 AM

Fake ID man. And a booster seat. LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Fake ID man. And a booster seat. LOL
Where can I find good trout lakes within a hour of medicine hat. Do you know of anyone who would know.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Interesting thread, but I don't know bout some of those claims. I've been using electric trolling motors on my zodiac for the last 18 years, gone thru three of them. I've charged the batteries slowly and i've charged them fast but I have never, ever, ever, ever, EVER gotten 3 days of trolling from a battery. They last a day if your lucky, depending of how much and how fast your trolling. I usually never go out without two batteries and if i'm actually trolling instead of just goin from spot to spot and casting I will easily use up both batteries in a 9 or 10 hour day of fishing.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 AM

I agree with the last post. I have an Endura 50lb on a 12ft aluminum i use to troll with instead of the gas. I can get about 4-5 hours out of it trolling at speed 3 out of 5. It has a sticker right on it, that says 1.5 hours at 5, and different rates down to 10 hours at speed 1. Marine nautilis 650A deep cycle