Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Default Pine Coulee

Went to Pine Coulee today, got arround 70 walleye, and 1 monster pike. the pike was my biggest fish ever. Must have been 4 feet long.

Was a good day.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Banned

pics???????????????
Old 06-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Do u have pictures of he pike?

And the pike got lots to eat in there
Old 06-30-2012, 08:07 PM

You beat me to it BeeGuy
Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 PM

I do have a video but it has a few unappropriate words in it, I am gonna try to mute it and put it on youtube
Old 06-30-2012, 08:41 PM

Used a small white jig with small piece of smelt on it. Pulled in a walleye on every cast pretty well all day. Thats what i got the pike on to.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 PM

What's fishing from shore like down there?
I haven't been down that way fishing yet. I was told Pine Coulee was good fun for catching lots of walleye, and Chain Lakes has got some trout.

I'm looking to head out somewhere on Monday and make a day of it. But I'll be bringing the family (wife and son - he's 2.5 yrs) He's into fishing so far, but only good for about an hour/two max, then loses interest.... that's probably because so far he hasn't actually caught a fish, or been with me when I've caught one since the trout fishing's been so slow around here for me.

Is it decent enough for us to fish from shore, and maybe a place to eat if we pack a lunch and for him to play on shore somewhere with the wife if they get bored of fishing for a while?

I'm hoping we can actually catch some fish from shore and they'll be a little more excited to fish for a while. I can fish all day and not catch anything and still want to keep fishing... they don't have that same ambition. lol

If not, anywhere that anyone can recommend a good place to go fishing from shore where we've got a good chance of catching some fish and can make a day of it with a 2.5 yr old.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchapple View Post
I'm looking to head out somewhere on Monday and make a day of it. But I'll be bringing the family (wife and son - he's 2.5 yrs) He's into fishing so far, but only good for about an hour/two max, then loses interest.... that's probably because so far he hasn't actually caught a fish, or been with me when I've caught one since the trout fishing's been so slow around here for me.

Is it decent enough for us to fish from shore, and maybe a place to eat if we pack a lunch and for him to play on shore somewhere with the wife if they get bored of fishing for a while?

I'm hoping we can actually catch some fish from shore and they'll be a little more excited to fish for a while. I can fish all day and not catch anything and still want to keep fishing... they don't have that same ambition. lol

If not, anywhere that anyone can recommend a good place to go fishing from shore where we've got a good chance of catching some fish and can make a day of it with a 2.5 yr old.

Thanks
Given your location ..... Go north man.
Head up to sylvan lake.
There is lots to do there even with little guys.

I took a bunch of kids fishing up there last summer (went to the far end of town to a small private marina with fishing access) and the kids caught lots of fish.

Your wife and son can wander off into town and to the beach if they get bored and you want to keep on fishing.

Plus they have the water park that you can check out if you want.
Lots of great places to eat, but I loved Blondies (far end of town- just off the highway)
Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 PM

^^^^^^^

Sadly I think the marina fishing spot is off limits to the public now FishingMOM....it was a fun place to take kids....

LC
Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
^^^^^^^

Sadly I think the marina fishing spot is off limits to the public now FishingMOM....it was a fun place to take kids....

LC
But there are lots of other places up there to fish..... and more kid friendly than PCR
Old 07-01-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
But there are lots of other places up there to fish..... and more kid friendly than PCR
Any recommendations?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Any recommendations?
I saw lots of access points along the lake. I am hoping the sylvan lake boys can pipe up with some great spots.

If I had to pick I would go sylvan before going back to PCR
The wind is nasty down there, not kid friendly, and you want your wife to enjoy the day too.

Hollar at the guys in this thread
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...n+lake+fishing
Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I saw lots of access points along the lake. I am hoping the sylvan lake boys can pipe up with some great spots.

The wind is nasty down there, not kid friendly, and you want your wife to enjoy the day too.
Thanks. Sounds like a plan then. I'll have to see if I can find somaeone who can recommend some good spots. Maybe I'll post the question tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated. Ive never been to Sylvan before either, but the wife used to go when ahe was a kid and had fun. so it sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 AM

Default lets see a pic of the big 1

was out there also yesterday just to use my ultra light gear.. bobber,jig.smelt probably could off used my hotdog to catch eyes there , tried using lots off cranks to no sucess but throw some meat out there and its game on.

i also caught 2 pike 1 about 14 inches and the 2nd around 20 both hit my bait about 3 feet from shore scrappy pike i will say that.

stopped counting after 100 every cast a walleye was nice to catch a pike even no they were small.........................later
Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Sounds like a plan then. I'll have to see if I can find somaeone who can recommend some good spots. Maybe I'll post the question tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated. Ive never been to Sylvan before either, but the wife used to go when ahe was a kid and had fun. so it sounds like a good idea.
Plus they put up an incredible playground at the one end of town. Happy wife, happy son = more fishing time for daddy.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Hollar at the guys in this thread
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...n+lake+fishing
Sounds almost like you are trying to keep someone from going to PCR. It is from Airdrie only 1 5 hrs. so no big deal. Same as Chain and about the same drive as Sylvan.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Sounds almost like you are trying to keep someone from going to PCR. It is from Airdrie only 1 5 hrs. so no big deal. Same as Chain and about the same drive as Sylvan.
THERE IS NOTHING THERE FOR KIDS.
Not worth the trip with a wee one. REMEMBER its not just about the one who wants to fish.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Any recommendations?
Go to Pine coulee. The dock can be crowded, but great fishing action for kids
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Lets see the pike! I'm sure were all ok with a few bad words
1 walleye
25 browns
1 whitefish
1 lake trout
1 sucker
Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Banned

x2 put it on youtube and post the link!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM

x3
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 AM

Anyone ever had success with pickerel rigs off shore there? What would I throw on for bait?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM

is the dock the only place to fish at pine coulee? Is the shore around the dock ok? I would like to take my daughter there this sunday to see how she does.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Banned

Buy a tub of big zee minnows from the bait fridge at Canadian tire.

Put half a minnow on your hooks.

Should keep you both busy for the day!

There seems to be fewer boats if you fish off the point at the southern most picnic area. Plenty of fish too.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM

I went there yesterday afternoon. Using a small jighead with a frozen minnow got me over 25 walleye in 2.5 hours. Less jerks on boats than usual ripping through the bridge area.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 PM

Spent the day targeting Pike from shore North of the bridge and fishing some big ass lures winging them out with my baitcaster- Only one small hammer handle followed it in but sadly I still caught about 10 walleye hitting monster lures.
I love me the baitcaster- Not so much the dickwad in the boat who decided he just had to try to crowd me out at 1pm today after I had been fishing this spot since 8am.

Only took 3 casts across his bow before he gave me the finger and moved on.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I love me the baitcaster- Not so much the dickwad in the boat who decided he just had to try to crowd me out at 1pm today after I had been fishing this spot since 8am.

Only took 3 casts across his bow before he gave me the finger and moved on.
Some people need a lesson in fishing curtesy!! i have been to a few lakes very early to get my favorite fishing spot and then have some clown in another boat cut accross my line and snag it. I even had a guy troll straight for me and i had to move even though i have been there for 2 hrs before him. everytime the guy came inside my line i would throw a warm smelly minnow at him and a few choice words! A couple of those to the back of the head and i got the same response you did. lol