Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
I was in the local shop when a fellow walked in, walks up to the gun counter, buts in fromt of a couple of regulars buying thier son his first rifle and says I need a gun for home defense! Without missing a beat, the owner of the shop says " Well, personally I've never been afraid of a house, but a chainsaw would prob do you just fine. They are mighty slow moving, so you might get away with just lightin it on fire."

Made my freaking day.
That's a keeper!

LC
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 PM

Was in at WSS before Christmas to get some cleaning supplies. A couple guys in their 20s came in with a rifle in its box, apparently it wasn't working. The guy behind the counter took a quick look at the rifle, shook his head, then took the gun into the back. Came back a minute later shaking his head, looked at the guys and asked if they had cleaned the rifle before and after shooting.

What happened next is pitiful for a gun owner of any age.

They both replied with a dumb look "you gotta clean the gun?"

Guess they never thought of reading the manual......

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 AM

At wss in Regina. Customer "I come to pick up my gun." Salesman "did you bring locks?" Customer "No" Salesman "You need a cable lock,a trigger lock and gun case to transport a firearm"
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 AM

Ballistic tips are the best for fur bearing animals. They just punch a nice clean hole through both sides!

I snickered and kept walking, lol.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Ballistic tips are the best for fur bearing animals. They just punch a nice clean hole through both sides!

I snickered and kept walking, lol.
No one mentioned the hole on the exit could be 10 or 12 inches big

LC
Old 02-25-2013, 08:58 AM

At Wholesale Sports I was working and grabbing something from behind the gun counter. A younger guy walks up and goes real close to me. He whispers in my ear,

"Do you have any tomatoes?"

I gave him a puzzled look and said,

"No, we don't have any tomatoes."

"Are they in the produce section or something?"

"No, no tomatoes."

Then he walks away.

A short while later I hear a yell from a distance.

"Are you sure that you don't have any tomatoes?!?"

By now I was loosing it as much as this guy. I had a customer ask me about a brand of powder and if we had it. I told him we sold it in 4lb bags.

Somehow out of no where, the previous guy shows up beside the customer and says.

"4 lbs, that's a big tomato man..."

OMG
Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM

working at a outdoors store in bc.
one of my co-workers to a customer"308 isn't a very accurate long range cartridge i wouldent trust its accuracy anywhere past 300 yards" i then proceded to tell him how 308 is used in long range competitions and the military etc etc he says im stupid and walks off and starts looking stuff up on the computer. next week i walk over to hear him selling a customer on how awesome the 308 is at long range.

man walks into the store" do you have any 22's that i can easily mount a flashlight?? i need a new deer huntin rig." i then proceed to tell him how A. it is illegal to hunt deer with a rimfire and B it is illegal to hunt at night. he then says "oh no worries man with a big clip and hollow points it works fine and im native anyways the cops wont touch me " sadly i still had to sell him the rifle.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
I was in the local shop when a fellow walked in, walks up to the gun counter, buts in fromt of a couple of regulars buying thier son his first rifle and says I need a gun for home defense! Without missing a beat, the owner of the shop says " Well, personally I've never been afraid of a house, but a chainsaw would prob do you just fine. They are mighty slow moving, so you might get away with just lightin it on fire."

Made my freaking day.

This sounded familiar to me; see post #6 in the link :

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...fense+chainsaw
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Banned

Arrow

In Red Deer at the local CT firearms counter years ago, a young man being told by the manager what a magnificent firearm the Remington 710 is/was.

Everything was going smooth until the bolt binded and couldn't be moved...

The manager gave it a few hard yanks with no success then laid the rifle down on the counter and went of praising the wonderful design and how accuarate it is.

The young man kept nodding his head, bobbling it all around just listening to the ongoing bull and slowly walked away leaving the manager talking too himself.

The "manager" is still out there selling firearms at a local store plying his salesmanship, although I haven't seen him around for awhile. The guy is right up there with a used car salesmen or crud you would find on the bottom of you boot after spending the day at the rodeo.

I try not too spend much time at gun counters, it's too painful.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119
“A bullet doesn't gain full speed until its 50 yards from the muzzle “

Wholesale sports

I love those jet powered bullets!

That's the second stage kickin in... Or maybe the afterburners
Thats the .22lr powder you put on top kickin in!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsleGuy View Post
At Wholesale Sports I was working and grabbing something from behind the gun counter. A younger guy walks up and goes real close to me. He whispers in my ear,

"Do you have any tomatoes?"

I gave him a puzzled look and said,

"No, we don't have any tomatoes."

"Are they in the produce section or something?"

"No, no tomatoes."

Then he walks away.

A short while later I hear a yell from a distance.

"Are you sure that you don't have any tomatoes?!?"

By now I was loosing it as much as this guy. I had a customer ask me about a brand of powder and if we had it. I told him we sold it in 4lb bags.

Somehow out of no where, the previous guy shows up beside the customer and says.

"4 lbs, that's a big tomato man..."

OMG

Lmao. Think I just woke up my whole camp. Tell us more about this guy
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM

I walked in to a gun store looking to do a trigger kit on my rifle. It was shooting very good out to 500 m the previous day with my new loads. I just thought a bit better trigger might tighten those groups a bit more.
A young fella comes up to me wearing shooting glasses,shooting gloves and a pistol on his hip. Clearly the management trusts him to some degree i thought to my self. I'm not one to judge a person by his or her age, so I tell him my idea. He asked me what caliber my rifle is and I tell him 30-06. He says not to bother. I said why? To that he replied "well, it is such an old caliber and it is so slow it isn't worth fixing."
Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 PM

Was at WSS in Grande Prairie a couple weeks ago. Asked the bozo behind the counter when they would be getting more Benelli shotguns in. His answer was " Phone the border and ask them. When you find out let me know". Then he walked away. That store won't be getting a penny from me.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I walked in to a gun store looking to do a trigger kit on my rifle. It was shooting very good out to 500 m the previous day with my new loads. I just thought a bit better trigger might tighten those groups a bit more.
A young fella comes up to me wearing shooting glasses,shooting gloves and a pistol on his hip. Clearly the management trusts him to some degree i thought to my self. I'm not one to judge a person by his or her age, so I tell him my idea. He asked me what caliber my rifle is and I tell him 30-06. He says not to bother. I said why? To that he replied "well, it is such an old caliber and it is so slow it isn't worth fixing."
Should have asked him what he thinks about the newer .308 winchester round lol
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Was at WSS in Grande Prairie a couple weeks ago. Asked the bozo behind the counter when they would be getting more Benelli shotguns in. His answer was " Phone the border and ask them. When you find out let me know". Then he walked away. That store won't be getting a penny from me.
They are just as frustrated with the issues in the US as the customers are.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
They are just as frustrated with the issues in the US as the customers are.
Maybe so, but that was a poor excuse for customer service.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falko View Post
Lmao. Think I just woke up my whole camp. Tell us more about this guy
Alright

He was likely in his 20's, dressed like any other person. His speech was normal, except for whispering in my ear... I really don't think he had any disabilities. Might have been high out of his mind.

As he was talking to me, I looked around at other customers in disbelief, just wondering if they were hearing the same thing I was hearing. No one else showed the same confusion that I was feeling.

As well, the whole time, the guy kept a dead serious face, he didn't smile or laugh at all.

After he left the store, I was still wondering what the **** just happened.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM

Default Phoenix

To this day i have refused to shop or shoot at Phoenix Range in Edmonton as "One certain know-it-all" salesman there always tried to sell you something more that waht you needed or tried to tell you that what you wanted was not the best thing for your application. Got to the point where I would walk in and if that bozo was working that day i would turn around and walk out. He was a beauty.........
Those who know phoenix in Edmonton, im sure you know who I am referring to.
Now, im not saying that all the box stores are any better for Bozo salesman, but at least when you asked for something they will show you where it is rather than argue whay its not good and "This" is much better. ha ha ha
Good topic Fellas, Cheers.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 PM

Bwahahahaha hilarious
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 PM

Was looking around Edmonton for a 10/22 Sporter Deluxe last June and was told for weeks everywhere that they were on backorder. All but one salesperson told me to just be patient, as they didn't know when the next batch were arriving. One insightful local employee informed me that although they didn't have any 10/22's in stock, they did have many Mossberg AR .22's. I muttered that I was pretty set on the Ruger. He responded that the "AR" was either just as good or pretty much the same..... I forget the exact wording. Each to their own but I had to
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM

One of the best I've heard:
Guy is pointing the zoom ring of the 3-9x40 scope on the rifle.
"You put it on 3, then you zero it at 300 feet, if you want to shoot further, you turn the dial. At 9 it will be zeroed to 900 feet".
I jump in, telling that it's just a zoom, the adjustement will stay the same regardless of the power.
The owner looked at me 3-4 seconds, then said: "No, those are working that way" in a kind of 'mind your business' tone.
I walked away, scope was a 3200.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Shoulda told him to get a 20x so he could shoot even further!
Too funny, thanks, I needed a laugh this morn!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcat View Post
One of the best I've heard:
Guy is pointing the zoom ring of the 3-9x40 scope on the rifle.
"You put it on 3, then you zero it at 300 feet, if you want to shoot further, you turn the dial. At 9 it will be zeroed to 900 feet".
I jump in, telling that it's just a zoom, the adjustement will stay the same regardless of the power.
The owner looked at me 3-4 seconds, then said: "No, those are working that way" in a kind of 'mind your business' tone.
I walked away, scope was a 3200.
Scary stuff considering that bozo has a PAL, will be licensed to hunt, but worse....may share the same patch of woodland as you. Management hearing such garbage should fire him.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Another one was, "I like to sound hunt", I asked what the hell that means, he said, "I wait for game sounds and shoot at the sound"....idiot.
Statements like this make me seriously consider body armor for future hunting trips...scary, just plain scary.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 AM

wss calgary back in thier old location. while this one wasnt "hearing" rather visual... purchased a .243 win in a rem 700 sps.. while one guy was getting it for me i asked another guy behind the counter to show me a scope.. takes it out looks at it through the wrong end says yup its a good one.... i smile while quietly laughing in my head, looked through the scope... gave it back and he looked through it again wrong end and put it away...couldnt handle it laugh came out damn loud... salesman gave me a wtf look...

last week... Bass pro..... after waiting the alloted 40min wait for one of the 8 thumb twiddling bozos to come help me.

sales boy (been working since 2011 as his tag stated)- what do you want.
me- two boxes of those 140 grain .357 mag hornady leverevelutions.
sales boy- what caliber?
me- ummm.. .357 mag... those ones right there two boxes..
sales boy- these?
me- yes.
sales boy- can i see you pal
me- hands pal over
sales boy- looks at pal puzzled... calls for another sales persons... hey how do i tell if this guys got his restricted or not.
me- what does it matter?
sales boy- these are handgun ammuntion if you dont have your restricted i cant sell you these..
me- say what???
sales boy- ya i cant sell you these.
finally a salesman comes up and shows sales boy how to check says on the back non restricted only..
sales boy goes so this guy cant but restricted ammuntion right?
salesman says uh no he just cant buy restricted firearms. ammuntion is fine.

i was debeating asking for the manager and request to see if sales boy has his pal(at that point seemed pretty unlikely) and if not what he was doing in the firearms department handling and selling them to customers.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 AM

"The .303 is no good - the bullets aren't powerful enough for hunitng past 100 yards"

"Anybody got shoot bull's eyes off a bench"

"I don't know why the even make that 20 gauge steel, it won't even kill ducks!"
All these comments came from the other side of the gun counter!!
Cat
Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post

i was debeating asking for the manager and request to see if sales boy has his pal(at that point seemed pretty unlikely) and if not what he was doing in the firearms department handling and selling them to customers.
Does this "sales boy" have bright orange hair. If so - HAHAH
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM

"oh, those aren't for sale, the rack just looked kinda dumb when it was empty"
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM

In Ft mac gun shop eastern fella telling everyone loudly how his new 300 mag is so flat ya just hold dead on to 1000 yards, but it always hits one inch to the left, dammed if he can figure it out.

And he was willing to fight about when someone finally had to call bs.

Also, the 22 250 shoots so fast the bullets never drop, when asked if they just keep going up into space, dumb look, and a I dunno but they never drop response.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM

In the local store, Just over a week ago, A customer is talking to the owner about a bunch of different things. The subject comes up that his oldest son has just received his RPAL and was excited to get a handgun. Then he brags about how he does not have a RPAL but does have quite a few Restricted firearms in his house, but "no one needs to know about those".

And I was not the only customer to overhear him...