Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Default Belize or Somewhere *Hot* - Cuba

Ok. Its settled. I've spent all day humming and hawing about another fishing adventure and where I should go and when..

I've already decided that I want to go for Salmon back in the Skeena Region for July 2013 but that is waaayyy too far away and for some reason I always go on fishing trips when its cold in April or October.

So I came to the conclusion today I want to go to somewhere HOT to fish without waiting for the summer.

Ive been reading about Belize and checked out a few older threads and Ive found 3 different things.

1) Self Guide and buy your own flights and hotels
2) Resorts (some all inclusive some not) then get a guide or self guide
3) A Resort that is a strictly all inclusive fishing resort (Kind of like the fishing charters on the coast)

I am wondering from peoples experiences what they would recommend so I can carry on with my research before I decide.

Or any other places other then Belize that could be recommended as a strictly fishing adventure.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Peacock Bass in South America is a blast from what I've been told.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Its pretty toasty in my tent now that I have a big buddy heater! I've heard from a few people at work that fishing in Mexico is pretty good off the Yucatan Peninsula. Might be a lot cheaper out there too!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Google Punta Colorada. On the Baja Peninsula north of Cabo. seen a fishing show about the place. That is where I want to go. Unreal roosterfish fishing by the looks of it and the Sea of Cortez is just so inviting!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM

There is all inclusive fishing orientated trips in costa rica. Heard it is very good fishing, offshore, and in!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM

A friend of mine from Terrace is in Belize right now fly fishing I should no more in a week
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM

MAUI correct deep sea for sure. Deep water is close so it's a quick boat ride to get to the good spots, fishing is excellent! You will have all the convinces of home, you can fish from shore in lots of easy to get to locations, no license required. You can spear fish on reefs accessible from shore, still no license req....and the scenery is amazing! I've been to lots of tropical locations and for deep water or in shore fishing and least amount to of BS...maui takes the cake! Just my 2 cents. Oh ya and if you go from mid December to Round Feb the waters are packed with whales as well....not for catching...just looking...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherGrrrl View Post
Ok. Its settled. I've spent all day humming and hawing about another fishing adventure and where I should go and when..

I've already decided that I want to go for Salmon back in the Skeena Region for July 2013 but that is waaayyy too far away and for some reason I always go on fishing trips when its cold in April or October.

So I came to the conclusion today I want to go to somewhere HOT to fish without waiting for the summer.

Ive been reading about Belize and checked out a few older threads and Ive found 3 different things.

1) Self Guide and buy your own flights and hotels
2) Resorts (some all inclusive some not) then get a guide or self guide
3) A Resort that is a strictly all inclusive fishing resort (Kind of like the fishing charters on the coast)

I am wondering from peoples experiences what they would recommend so I can carry on with my research before I decide.

Or any other places other then Belize that could be recommended as a strictly fishing adventure.

Thanks!
Go on my My 11-18, 2013 trip to Los Roques, Venezuela.

It is going to be a blast.

Just finalizing the cost and itinerary but it will be group discounted.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM

Yaaa keep em coming Im looking into all these places.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 PM

depending on the type of fishing you are looking to do, if you want to treat yourself pretty good, look into cap cana in the dominican republic.
cheers
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM

i live p/t time in costa rica...the fishing is just like any where else off and on...
if your looking for a strictly fishing trip and you have the money goggle croc bay..they are in the far south end of the country...or if you want to do a day of fishing and then a day @ the beach,some night life,some tours.blah blah blah,then i would head to quepos/manual antonio...a good contact there is mark...can't remember his last name..but his boat is the mar 1...just google mar1 fishing costa rica..he is a canadian where him and his wife live in cr..
if you decide to check out costa rica & you want more info feel free to ask no prob...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Don't got any were to suggest but have u tried spearfishing I did that in cozumel for the invasive lion fish
Perch 50 +
Goldeye 10
Sauger 1
Sucker 5
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Default Cuba

I went fishing for bone fish in Cuba that was guided and it was fantastic. It was dirt cheap and I actually got to fish the NW and South part of the island. The people where great the drinks where cheap and I caught alot of fish, what more could you ask for.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 PM

Hmmm, I've heard cuba is purdy good, Maui is ok, but prolly won't do it again, cabo is good, maybe vanilla for you...a lot depends on this, but funds out of the equation, and thinking exotic, I'd have to pick "somewhere in the Seychelles". Wherever you go, I wish you a wonderful time, and carry a camera, as we'll be anxiously awaiting your adventures on film!!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Banned

wherever you decide to go i'm sure you'll slay them. make sure you get some great pics. as always, and come home safely. have fun.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Smile

FisherGrrrl, if you could compile your research into a chart so I can decide on a winter fishing destination, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 PM

Default Huatulco Mexico

Huatulco has over 330 days of sun, very cheap and the people are beautiful. This area is mostly owned by locals and not americanized. I have tried fishing in Cuba,Jamaica, Dominican and Los Cabos, by far Huatulco was the best. There is a new thread for Huatulco where I have posted some info. Good Luck
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 AM

placencia belize! if you are looking for grand slam species. I have some guide info here if you are interested. guides are pretty cheap, I paid around $350/day for the boat. most guides run 25' Mexican skiffs, even for "deep sea" stuff. the majority of the guides are for flyfishing but they could probably hook you up if you want to chuck gear instead. another good trip is cayo coco in cuba. stay at the tryp cayo coco for $1300+/- all in per person and you can walk to the flats for do it yourself. the guides are really cheap at $250/day for 2 people! book your guides or at least get their info from fish tales in cgy(I believe they will book them for you right from the store)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Yes it all depends on what your game is.
I'm planning on Thailand fishing.
Black Marlins and sharks is my chosen adventure this time.
And I'm from BC and am also going to the Skeena nxt yr for some good ole salmon.
Winter steelies are running now
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM

Well Folks! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Looks like I am leaning towards going to Cayo Coco Cuba at the end of March and if all goes well within the next two days (getting time off) then its a done deal.

Does anyone know what the weather is like during that time of year?

Has anyone fished there that time of year?

Any other suggestions regarding this location?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Sounds like you have quite the adventure planned!

My good buddy MooseGuy fishes Cuba every year. One side of the island is ridiculously amazing fishing, but very expensive. The other side is more cost friendly, but the fishing is "reportedly" not as good. You may remember my post about the giant Permit? That's my buddy Moose. The good part about Cuba is you can fly fish the flats for Permit, Bonefish, Barracuda....or you can head out into the blue water for a deep sea adventure.

If I were to recommend an amazing trip, and it appears that money isn't an option - check out a safe country first. Then identify how sensitive you are to infections, or bacteria. Nothing ruins a good fishing trip quite like Dysentery.

Perhaps look at the species you are interested in second. Have you heard about freshwater Dorado?

Then decide on your destination. Have fun and be safe out there!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 PM

Default Fishing in Cuba

Just got back from Cuba last night. We went to Varadero for a week and it was awesome! I went on a fishing trip while I was there and was so so. I caught a 15lbs barracuda and another guy caught a smaller one and that was it. Cost us $500 with tip for 6 hours to give you an idea of cost. Been to Cayo Cocco as well and it is beautiful too. We bought a rod and reel with 50lbs line with a bunch of hooks($120 for everything). When we left I gave it to a local guy as he said his family fishes all the time for their food. The price of the look on his face was worth it. So grateful he was just about crying. Just an idea for you when you go.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:41 PM

So, where did you end up going? How was it?
Cheers,
Ayr.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Since this thread reappeared I would like to edit my aforementioned recommendation......go to Cabo San Lucas, mexico.......kicks Maui's ass! just in case someone else is reading this for ideas.....CABO!!! that is all. Back to you girl.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Since this thread reappeared I would like to edit my aforementioned recommendation......go to Cabo San Lucas, mexico.......kicks Maui's ass! just in case someone else is reading this for ideas.....CABO!!! that is all. Back to you girl.
I'll be in Cabo the first week of march.

What should I expect?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 PM

Default Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayr View Post
So, where did you end up going? How was it?
Cheers,
Ayr.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=176435

Hey! Here is the link to the thread I made for that trip. It had is advantages and disadvantages. The weather was super windy so it was hard to actually site fish but the guides did try there best. Also the time of year I went for tarpon and bones was a little off. Price point though I thought it was really good! The one day deep sea fishing.. Plus the night on the boat with huge meals and inclusive drinks... And getting picked up from that boat for a day on the skeet.. Was 600$ total. For two people 300$ each but they take up to 4 for the night trip.

I haven't tried any where else though. There is also places you can walk to yourself that seemed to be more out of the wind and looked like really nice flats.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Cabo is right! Just booked the "Bob Marlin" with JC's Charters. Leave the 28th. Talking with J and he said the fishing is really good right now, and will only get better with the Tuna coming in! Got the whole boat to myself! Dont feel like watching other people catch fish i could be! Lol
Old 11-19-2013, 05:59 AM
Banned

Panama!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 AM

Nomad do some cool trips.
http://nomadsportfishing.com.au/word...xtended-trips/
Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

I had an epic day in cabo in November. .. 15 sails and a triple header me casting live bait to them off bow. Make sure they bring you to the bait ball or don't go