Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 AM

Default AR 500 targets

Hey guys,
A couple friends and I are going to have some AR 500 Targets made up.
Figured it wouldn't hurt to offer the chance for you guys to get in on the group buy.
Here are the list of target styles and prices.

- 8" circle or square - 3/8" - $35 each, 1/2" - $45 each
- 10" circle or square - 3/8" - $45 each, 1/2" - $55 each
- 12" circle or square - 3/8" - $55 each, 1/2" - $65 each
- Full-size IPSC plate - 30"x18" - 3/8" - $125 each, 1/2" - $155 each

We are still waiting on the quote for the 14, 16, and 18 inch square targets.

Targets will come with mounting holes If you dont want mounting holes let me know.
We are going to offer the group buy for 2 weeks, then final numbers will be tallied and steel will be cut.
Let us know quantities of which shapes and sizes you would like. We will need a 25% deposit the rest due before shipping.
AR Plate is expensive and we dont want to get stuck for it if guys decide to back out at the last minute.

This will more than likely be a one time thing so if you want in get in on it.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM

pm sent
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM

Where is this taking place? Shipping or transporting could be a deciding factor to many.....
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM

Interested, but it would be helpful to know where these are being made for shipping purposes.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM

They are being made in Calgary, I am thinking for the local guys we could arrange pickup
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM

Very interested in picking something up. Do you know how the AR500 is going to be cut?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM

It will be done with a laser as far as I know, the water jet would drive the price up quite a bit. The heat affected zone is only about 20 thou so there shouldn't be any need to worry about the edges chipping and whatnot
Leeper
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Rob, in your experience is the 1/2 " necessary? I will be mainly shooting 30.06, .308 and 7mm.

Also please keep me in the loop for this group buy as I am interested in picking up at least one target, possibly more! Thanks.

For those interested in the various methods used to cut AR500 check the following link...

http://www.shootsteel.com/cutting-ar500-steel-plate/
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM

I've put hundreds of rounds on 3/8" AR500, laser cut, with many edge hits. This from .223, .243, .25-06, .270, .280, 7RM, and .338WM. Shots have been mostly from 200-1000 yards. The plates, including the edges, show nearly zero wear. A good 3/8" AR500 plate will take a LOT of $$ in ammo before it wears out
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
I've put hundreds of rounds on 3/8" AR500, laser cut, with many edge hits. This from .223, .243, .25-06, .270, .280, 7RM, and .338WM. Shots have been mostly from 200-1000 yards. The plates, including the edges, show nearly zero wear. A good 3/8" AR500 plate will take a LOT of $$ in ammo before it wears out
Thanks for the heads up! I am trying to put together a kit for shooting out on crown land this summer I think one of these targets will do very well!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM

I'm part of the group putting this Group Buy together, so take this for what it's worth, but I think that you'll quickly find that one of these targets is not enough

I started out with 2, and now I need at least half a dozen for my uses. I like to have various targets set up at different distances, and even a couple of plates set up side-by-side. That way you can shoot groups with a couple of different rifles without cluttering all the shots together on one plate, and without having to re-paint your single plate after each group is fired
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM

Not sure where you shoot in / around Calgary, but if you are hauling these out to crown land or private land how do you like to set them up? I don't have a truck so light weight and compact ways to set up would be best for me. Thanks for all your info!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM

I made a bunch of portable stands by getting a lot of 4' lengths of rebar (5 lengths per stand), and welding up 2 brackets per stand. The brackets are made out of 6" pieces of 1/2" diameter galvanized-steel electrical conduit. Each stand requires 2 brackets, one on each side, and each bracket is made up of 3, 6" pieces. I cut the ends at an angle so that the pieces mate up together at the proper angle. The setup is similar in setup to this. The brackets are obviously where the 3 bars meet on each side. If you don't have the ability to cut and weld, the same thing can be done with threadable plumbing pipe. This pic was taken from Google, but shows the general idea.

BTW, rebar has proven to be quite resilient to hits, and the great thing is that when you cut through a piece, it's only a couple of dollars to replace a 4' length.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM

What kind of strapping is that holding the plate to the bar? And where do you get it? I use chain, but there is nothing worse than hitting it and have a useless target till you get some new stuff.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM

Are you buying from someone or building? If buying who from?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Guys, to clarify that setup in the picture above is not mine. I found it on Google, and used it to illustrate what I was describing. I'm building my own stands, but they're a bit different than what is pictured. I also use chains to hang my targets, but rubber strapping cut from mud flaps supposedly work very well.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
Are you buying from someone or building? If buying who from?
Never mind skipped a post when reading, Calgary it is.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J.P View Post
Not sure where you shoot in / around Calgary, but if you are hauling these out to crown land or private land how do you like to set them up? I don't have a truck so light weight and compact ways to set up would be best for me. Thanks for all your info!
This is my set-up. Gongs come off with quick links and saw horses fold up. Pretty simple, collapsible set-up for hauling around.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Interested! How would shipping be arranged on an order?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Hey guys,

Shipping will be available. The plates will be taped together and wrapped in shipping paper, and sent out. Shipping will be entirely at the cost of the buyer. Packing peanuts and padding won't be necessary, I don't think A local meeting to arrange pickup would also be an option.

Unfortunately our steel supplier had a mixup with freight, and their pricing has increased slightly since we posted the original price list, so here is the updated pricing on this Group Buy:

- 8" circle or square - 3/8" - $40 each, 1/2" - $50 each
- 10" circle or square - 3/8" - $50 each, 1/2" - $60 each
- 12" circle or square - 3/8" - $62 each, 1/2" - $72 each
- 14" circle or square - 3/8" - $70 each, 1/2" - $83 each
- 16" circle - 3/8" - $84 each, 1/2" - $96 each
- 16" square - 3/8" - $79 each, 1/2" - $102 each
- 18" circle - 3/8" - $101 each, 1/2" - $105 each
- 66% IPSC plate - 19"x12" - 3/8" - $75 each, 1/2" - $93 each
- Full-size IPSC plate - 30"x18" - 3/8" - $135 each, 1/2" - $180 each

If interested in an 18" square, let me know and I'll get a price.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Lots of interest here, guys. We've got about a dozen orders so far in this Group Buy, and we'll run it for 2 weeks from today, given that I just updated the pricing today.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 AM

I would be interested in a couple of those full sized 1/2" IPSC targets and some 16 or 18" squares....maybe a couple. I'm going to talk with a buddy that lives close by and see if he wants any because I'm not too keen on driving all the way down to Calgary just for a couple targets and I suppose shipping them would be a killer....unless you know otherwise.

Just an idea. If there was enough interest in the Edmonton area would you be prepared to deliver up here? Of course the targets would have to be paid in full beforehand and enough of them to make it worthwhile.

Chris
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 PM

Could you also do a 45% IPSC?

What size are the mounting holes, and where are they located on the IPSC targets?
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
I would be interested in a couple of those full sized 1/2" IPSC targets and some 16 or 18" squares....maybe a couple. I'm going to talk with a buddy that lives close by and see if he wants any because I'm not too keen on driving all the way down to Calgary just for a couple targets and I suppose shipping them would be a killer....unless you know otherwise.

Just an idea. If there was enough interest in the Edmonton area would you be prepared to deliver up here? Of course the targets would have to be paid in full beforehand and enough of them to make it worthwhile.

Chris
Hey Chris,

I believe that sending them up to Edmonton on a Greyhound would be quite affordable. For me to deliver to Edmonton personally, I'd have to make it worth my fuel and time by charging you guys more for the plates Either that or all the Edmonton guys could go in on the fuel cost and a delivery fee together. It might make more sense to see if there's an Edmonton guy that wants plates that is coming to Calgary sometime soon, and could bring all the plates back to Edmonton for you guys, if you all chipped in on the fuel for his trip down and back.

I think Greyhound is going to be the cheapest and easiest option, though.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Could you also do a 45% IPSC?

What size are the mounting holes, and where are they located on the IPSC targets?
We're planning on making the mounting holes 1/2", and they'll be in the "shoulder" areas of the IPSC targets.

PM me about any plate size not listed, and I'll see what we can do.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM

bump to give everyone a chance to see the thread, and participate in this GB.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM

Pretty sure that myself and Bobby B. will be in for a few. We are trying to figure out what is the best and/or easiest type of frame to build for reactive targets.

We will pm you, Rob.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM

sns2,

Rob has had something come up, and so I'm going to be collecting all the orders, now. Just fire me a PM when you decide what you want to order, or even post it here in this thread, and I'll add it to the list.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
sns2,

Rob has had something come up, and so I'm going to be collecting all the orders, now. Just fire me a PM when you decide what you want to order, or even post it here in this thread, and I'll add it to the list.
Sounds good. Will be in touch as soon as I convince Bobby B. that because of his advanced age, he should purchase the 16" plates, while I pop for the 10"ers
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM

Folks....FWIW....

I travel between Calgary and Edmonton often, if guys aren't in a huge rush I could be a "mule" of some sorts to haul some orders up to the South Edmonton area....

I am going to look further into this as well and will likely pick up a couple or a few of these...

LC