Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2008, 03:11 PM

Default another oil spill!!!!????!?!???!?!?

hey all.
i've heard that there was another oil spill.
this time into glennifer lake and red deer river.
anyone know the extent or any details???
has yet ANOTHER of my fav. spots been axed over oil profits???
Old 06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
TundraBuck

Calm down. You make it sound like everyone involved in the oilfield is to blame, and is greedy. Don't appreciate that stereotyping, myself being one of them and all.

What happened was, at least from what I heard at work, was that there is an underground pipeline approximately 35 kms upstream of glennifer so near Sundre. Anyways, nothing was spilled. Apparently some "leaked" and nothing like Wabamun. 100 barrels, 150 tops. They have it quarantined. It's nothing to worry about.

Not to mention it won't affect a thing downstream of the dam. So you are ok, calm down.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Default !!!

100 barrels...20,000 litres...nothing at all to worry about....
complacency is killing this province's fisheries.
we all should be more worried and less careless.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM

Default another oil spill?

Try to imagine the quantity of oil that is move through this province on a daily basis without incident. I work on a crude pipeline system that has been operating since 1966. To the best of my knowledge they have had one spill of about 100 barrels since and we are usually pumping about 2,400 barrels per hour!!! 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Since 1966!!! And have spilled 100barrels! Try to think of a safer way to get it from point A to point B.
I'm not saying we are without fault as an industry, but it seems to be a neccesary evil. How much gasoline do you think they go through in Calgary every day? Never mind southern California where most of our oil ends up.

Just my take on it. My goal in my job is to make sure that **** stays where it's supposed to. My freinds and neighbours live along our line. I hunt and fish along it. Don't blame the guys that work there I'm sure it's the last thing they ever wanted to happen.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Default gas

Yet another spot that you used to drive to using products that the oil industry supplied you with.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:30 PM

Everybody is so socially engineered to worry about silly things like a couple hundred barrels of spilled oil, and ignore the big picture while we burn millions of barrels of oil and natural gas every day, put it into the atmosphere only to fall back down to earth and think nothing of it except to whine about the price of fuel while we drive larger and more consumptive vehicles in ever increasing numbers with ever increasing horsepower and build bigger and bigger houses with fewer people living in them consuming more energy than ever before, then whine when the oil producer or transporter who delivers us these billions of barrels of oil a year which we demand to be available and on tap everywhere at all times without shortages happens to unintentionally spill a few drops/litres/barrels or even a boatload of petroleum product.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:28 PM

100 bbl's = 16,000lt or 16m3 of fluid....not bad considering...
Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM

Right on Bushrat.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Everybody is so socially engineered to worry about silly things like a couple hundred barrels of spilled oil, and ignore the big picture while we burn millions of barrels of oil and natural gas every day, put it into the atmosphere only to fall back down to earth and think nothing of it except to whine about the price of fuel while we drive larger and more consumptive vehicles in ever increasing numbers with ever increasing horsepower and build bigger and bigger houses with fewer people living in them consuming more energy than ever before, then whine when the oil producer or transporter who delivers us these billions of barrels of oil a year which we demand to be available and on tap everywhere at all times without shortages happens to unintentionally spill a few drops/litres/barrels or even a boatload of petroleum product.

Personally I'm a big fan of global warming. Maybe in the next 100 years our summer in Calgary will be 3 months instead of 2!

No offence Bushrat, but maybe take the blinders off and start learning about sunspot activity, orbital variations, axial rotation inconsistancies...............I'll leave it at that for now.

Tree
Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Sounds good Tree,,,, but what the heck did ya just say there?? I know i know im a little slow !!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-19-2008, 12:13 AM

Default Just Curious Not to mention it won't affect a thing downstream of the dam. So you are ok, calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Calm down. You make it sound like everyone involved in the oilfield is to blame, and is greedy. Don't appreciate that stereotyping, myself being one of them and all.

What happened was, at least from what I heard at work, was that there is an underground pipeline approximately 35 kms upstream of glennifer so near Sundre. Anyways, nothing was spilled. Apparently some "leaked" and nothing like Wabamun. 100 barrels, 150 tops. They have it quarantined. It's nothing to worry about.

Not to mention it won't affect a thing downstream of the dam. So you are ok, calm down.
Just Curious... What about the water ways upstream of the Dam????

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 AM

It is funny how all these people bitch about the oilfield companies being the bad guys. I bet if we stopped cold turkey making fuel and lubricants so that you can't use your boat let alone get to the lake they would bitch even louder. Your damned if you don't and your damned if you do. Besides what have all of you that are complaining have done on a personal level to help reduce carbon output?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

WD40 is a good fish attractant or so I've been told..

bleh.....I'm Albertain....so I'll stick to crude...

lighten up....that was a joke...
Old 06-19-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Holy run-on sentence Batman!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:31 AM

Weird...I was sure I had posted in this topic.....

Anyway, last I heard there are between 800 and 900 pipe line leaks in Alberta at this time.
Not enough consultants to get the job done of fixing them.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:10 AM

i'm sure with the warm weather we have had these last 2 days (aside from the raining evenings) the fish likely appreciate the shade that the slick provides.

Bushrat, how much pestering did you have to do before David Suzuki passed the pipe.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Gone Hunting

I have-ta agree with ya Bushrat, there are bigger problems at work here. A lousy 20 cube spill can be cleaned up, what of the other things that bushrat mentioned fellas. Lemme guess here, cause you guys cant see it laying on the ground, the problems dont actually exist, right, or is it left. Swifty, id be grateful buddy, for a pull on what ever it is youve been smokin..... Kill any of those whitetails from up north lately, the genetics for throwin those dark horns, well thats just great stuff,,,, eh!!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 AM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drano View Post
Just Curious... What about the water ways upstream of the Dam????
I couldn't tell you specifically, from what I know it has been quarantined and mopped up.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
No offence Bushrat, but maybe take the blinders off and start learning about sunspot activity, orbital variations, axial rotation inconsistancies...............I'll leave it at that for now.

Tree
Dude, no blinders here, global warming is a crock of ****. But, burning billions of barrels of oil/gas off into the atmosphere from our cars, homes, etc every year is still pollution and regardless it aint good for our land, water, or health.

I just find it absurd that folks jump all over the oil companies when they happen to spill a few buckets of oil when it is the general population, you and me who demand at all costs to have our fuel delivered to us non stop at all costs.

Hey 220 Swifty, smoked a few bowls in my day, don't worry though, the only pipe I'd share with Suzuki would the one cracking his skull.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 AM

100 barrels is nothing? It’s no big deal? Hey I have a cup full of used oil from my lawnmower I need to dispose of any one of you want to offer over your water well on the acreage for me to dump it in??? You guys need to give your head a shake.

Any oil spill or leak of any size is unacceptable because it is always preventable whether it be the oil industry or the neighbour’s car spilling oil on the street. The Alberta government needs to implement some kind of financial penalty that actual has some “back-bone” to discourage mishaps such as this from ever happening. And if these mishaps do happen, you pay big time. CN got away with murder.

Simply not acceptable!!! Something needs to be done.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 AM

the cn mishap was a joke...no spill kits on the trains hauling oil or bunker fuel is a bad thing...when a pipe line breaks oil is not the big thing...produced water kills alot more then oil will...it kills trees grass and fish right away...i worked on spills in the swan hills area...oil spills clean up easy compared to produced water...lets all remember all this stuff dose come out of the ground...it was here before us...im sure theres more oil on the ground from those little leaks comming off all those car engines that get neglected..
Old 06-19-2008, 11:19 PM

Thumbs down Oil Spill Aftermath,

Well as the truth comes out there were over 200 barrels and yes it is a disaster to the fishery. Why care about losing a couple fish? But what about all the food that the fish eat? The bugs are less able to avoid the product. During the flood guess where the fish are holding in the slower areas where the sweet crude collects. Yes it is a disaster maybe because it didn't happen in your backyard but it happened in mine and justice will be served to complacent management of this provinces resources. I think some of you should disassociate yourselves from you pay cheques and do some soul searching ........Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.

Signed,
Landowner below the spill and has a well that pulls from the same aquifer. I am a “nimby”and you would be too!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 AM

Default !!!

AMEN CLOUSER!!!!!!!
these clowns think that they own the province because they provide a needed service???
what if doctors thought that way???
i'm needed so i can act carelessly and kill and maim as many patients as i want????
whatever happened to accountability???
it's ok and "no big deal" to spill oil into fisheries and harm wildlife and land???
B.S.!!!!!!!!!!
fossil fuels are the number one negative impact to the globe and these guys are defending shoddy practices???
i can't wait for alternate fuel sources to phase out the oil industry!!!!!!!!!
this is out of control...OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:

..................where do you think that rubber tailed jig you cast out comes from???
Old 06-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
AMEN CLOUSER!!!!!!!
these clowns think that they own the province because they provide a needed service???
what if doctors thought that way???
i'm needed so i can act carelessly and kill and maim as many patients as i want????
whatever happened to accountability???
it's ok and "no big deal" to spill oil into fisheries and harm wildlife and land???
B.S.!!!!!!!!!!
fossil fuels are the number one negative impact to the globe and these guys are defending shoddy practices???
this is out of control...OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!

First of all please don't call me a clown thx very much and don't speak of which you obviously know very little about. The oil and gas industry in this province is some of the heaviest regulated and monitored in the world and carries a very respectable record. But that you don't see or better yet don't want to..

So carry on in your life with this old its not me but the other guy attitude, just remember what you preach as you drive your vehicle around and live your plastic container life...
Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

Default Oil

Please don't try and defend an oil spiil, oil leak etc, wrong is wrong, if an oil company does it, joes garage does it, it does not matter who does it, polluting our waters is WRONG. Trying to deflect blame onto people who drive cars, use plastic jigs, just makes the oil companies look more irresponsible. I think showing even a little concern for the environment, and a sincere effort to investigate why it happened, in hopes of preventing a re-occurance would be a much more responsibe approach.
These types of incidents should never be viewed as trivial, not even if you think the damage is reasonably small,(what is a small oil spill???). The whole reason for investigating an incident like this is to determine the cause of the spill or leak, if it was caused by operator error, or by a company's reluctance to do proper maintance, these reasons are serious and could lead to a major incident, or numerous re-occurances, if not resolved. In this case maybe the line spliting was due to a shift in the ground, I have no idea, that is why there should always be an investigation.
Our airline companies fly hundreds, maybe thousands of flights for every crash that occurs, but I would hate to think that we should start ignoring the odd plane crash, or dismissing it as trivial, becasue they happen so seldon compared to how many flights occur each day.

Last edited by bobalong; 06-20-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

And what makes you think there won't be an investigation what makes you think that they won't try and make improvements ??? What is it that people like you think go's on in those board rooms when things like this happen.. Do you think they are sitting there laughing and spittin in a spittoon and saying ah the hell with em pump more hahah,,,hahhah.. You people watch way to many movies from Liberal Hollywood or documentaries from the CBC. These companies take these incedents very serious and so does the government. Believe me there is more sh!t hittin the fan around there than anyone can imagine and not just to cover their azz but to find out why and how this could happen.. And this ain't comin from me being well rehearsed by my bosses but from seeing first hand what takes place when things of this nature take place..

These companies take their position in our communities very serious and they know very well the roll they play in the environment beleive me we spend more on environmental studies and spend more money on new initiatives and designs than any government or environmental group ever would or even have the capacity or the intelligence to do. Get your head out of the sand and come out for a visit for a couple days you mite be surprised at what you will find.. But hey that would only make sense wouldn't it then you would actually have to make an informed intelligent statement on the industry and its practices and that certainly wouldn't fit the status quoe would it.

Last edited by Walleyes; 06-20-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Default Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
And what makes you think there won't be an investigation what makes you think that they won't try and make improvements ??? What is it that people like you think go's on in those board rooms when things like this happen.. Do you think they are sitting there laughing and spittin in a spittoon and saying ah the hell with em pump more hahah,,,hahhah.. You people watch way to many movies from Liberal Hollywood or documentaries from the CBC. These companies take these incedents very serious and so does the government. Believe me there is more sh!t hittin the fan around there than anyone can imagine and not just to cover their azz but to find out why and how this could happen.. And this ain't comin from me being well rehearsed by my bosses but from seeing first hand what takes place when things of this nature take place..

These companies take their position in our communities very serious and they know very well the roll they play in the environment beleive me we spend more on environmental studies and spend more money on new initiatives and designs than any government or environmental group ever would or even have the capacity or the intelligence to do. Get your head out of the sand and come out for a visit for a couple days you mite be surprised at what you will find.. But hey that would only make sense wouldn't it then you would actually have to make an intelligent statement on something and that certainly wouldn't fit the status quoe would it.
I am not sure if you're remarks are directed at me, but you might want to read some of the posts above (have your grandson explain what they mean to you). There are numerous comments about how this is just a trivial incident and why is everyone getting all excited. My point was that polluting our waters is not a trivial matter, and even though you may work in the oilfield, it is no reason to condone "small spills" as trivial. As for the part about coming out to the field, thanks I was there, decided to try something else, just a few too many Jethros like you out there when I was there.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I am not sure if you're remarks are directed at me, but you might want to read some of the posts above (have your grandson explain what they mean to you). There are numerous comments about how this is just a trivial incident and why is everyone getting all excited. My point was that polluting our waters is not a trivial matter, and even though you may work in the oilfield, it is no reason to condone "small spills" as trivial. As for the part about coming out to the field, thanks I was there, decided to try something else, just a few too many Jethros like you out there when I was there.
You laboured in the field for a while so you got the whole system figured out eh,, good on you..

I guess its always easier to go through life ignorant then it is to get informed,,, have fun with that...
Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM

every spill that is over a specified amount is investigated...there are spills in back yard as well but with like 3 million lines running through the province we have a pretty good record....but if you just cant handle the spills stop heating your home,,dont drive, sell the lawnmower and all the toys...we need oil and gas...its like the royaltie review you all wanted the increase and now that fuel prices are up you wonder why...keep hammering the oil co's and you soon wont be able to afford to drive....god know's i work in the patch but my over flowing pockets are draining fast at 400 bucks to fill the truck and boat...im sure u have no leaks on any motors you run right???never spilled a drop of gas or oil on the ground right??? get with it..the spills get cleaned up. and the area is left in a state like new.....unlike cn that has a ton of sulpher sitting on train tracks across the country....slow down on the oil patch or it will be gone and all your perfect worlds will fall when theres 100,000 people looking for your job...food for thought...