Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Its a nice thought to believe the pipe you weld will never fail or the PL between welds never will but that is just wishful thinking. It doesn't have to be someone's fault that a failure happens either. Corrosion is unavoidable specially in acid gas situations and so is human error. There is also the issue of PL mapping and locating before other companies possibly unrelated to the oil industry start digging. There is no fool proof way to avoid all risk and like it or not that is just a fact.

Hey it'd be great to never have to cross under a river either...tell ya what you go out and take a look at all the creeks and rivers there are in AB then run some economics on what it'd take to get oil to market never having crossed a waterway. That is just a laughable expectation. First an foremost because it is a physical impossibility and secondly because to avoid even half the crossing would run up huge costs laying extra PL. It'd also mean way more environmental damage in the way of extra miles of cleared right of ways and would mean many more miles of pipe to maintain thus increasing the risk of failures. When there are hundreds of thousands of miles of pipe out there it doesn't take a gross human error to cause a failure all it takes is a fluke occurance.

Living in a dreamworld of expection is your right and I'm not about to challenge that...but some people actually have to make hard decisions based on physical and economic realities. C'est la vie.
I just needed to vent, I had a sh!ty day yesterday. More rain, another camping trip canceled on the blackstone due to high water Its been a long week I need to get in some fishing.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:48 AM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
You are asking to get your teeth knocked the #$%^ out. Keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
. It's just some people need to grow up
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Continued personal attacks and such will be the end of this thread. Please post in a respectable manner or do not post.

Thank you.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned

I can't seem to link to it, but there was an article on the spill in the Herald last night.

Basically, the spill was contained and cleaned up and the lake has been cleared for all recreational activity. It's currently being monitored to determine when it's safe for use as drinking water.

The matter is still being investigated by the EUB, but in the meantime, the company responsible has stepped up and accepted full responsibility and has offered to do whatever they can to help with the situation.

Waxy
Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Here is a link to an update from a local paper:

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/redd...l_cleanup.html

For interest there is a link to an article from the previous day about the cleanup. Here is a link to that as well:

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/redd..._proceeds.html

Cheers!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Default !!!

posted by CBC...
really widespread. really globally embarrassing...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...ned-lakes.html
Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM

Default !!!

and this one about alberta in the journal

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...1-0b6823d55add
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Banned

wildman,

What would you propose be done? What are you willing to sacrifice to have this done?

What are you doing personally?

Waxy
Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
TundraBuck

He's sitting on his computer. Doing nothing.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Default !!!

i'm trying to raise awareness of the problem that is being intentionally hidden and ignored!!!
"nothing to worry about" is the mind set that will kill this province.
the more people know the real facts, the more things will change.
i presented this issue, backed by facts written by reputable sources to get the truth out there.
you guys did nothing but ridicule and threaten.
a typical guilty response by the way...
who's doing more damage...someone who is trying to change things by raising awareness or someone who threatens violence and tries to hide the truth.
read a book.
don't spread ignorance of fact.
open your eyes.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:10 PM
TundraBuck

Wildman, I am a petroleum engineer, I think I would know damn well better than some "reputable source." You are making yourself look more and more like a fool, digging yourself deeper into the ground. Go do some reading then come back.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:04 AM

Well this is my first post and my first time to the site and I was instantly attracted to this post because I make a living cleaning up oil spills and other oil industry related spills, breaks, tip overs and other oopsies.

Now I could get into the science of oil spills and how it effects marine life but I would rather say, I have seen the bad side of the industry and the good side. I have cleaned up some big (and I mean BIG) spills and little ones and so far I have concluded that the biggest break downs occur when the oil (and other) companies try to keep it under wraps instead of doing what it takes to take care of it.

To be honest, I would rather see crude oil in a water way then massive quanities of acid or produced water. Crude floats and is much easier to get rid of, and it gives me a chance to use some fun equipment.

The reality of our lives here on this planet is that we still need oil very much and there is going to be clashes between our dependencies on oil and our enjoyment of the outdoors and our need to protect it.

Now it could be that I am tired and have been a little sick lately but I am sure I will read this on another day and wonder "what the heck was I trying to say?"

Have fun fishing.